SASS Wire Forum

Stupid Tourists

Subdeacon Joe

I call it Disney Syndrome.

Urbanites and suburbanites don't interact with non domesticated animals, so they learn about them from TV and movies.

Nobody watches Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom style shows anymore- but every snot bandit can do the dialogue from every Disney film. 

I watched the one over a minute long, several vids of of brain dead dumbasses. If not gored, my preference, they should be arrested, jailed, and fined. See how fun their vacation is now !!:lol:

27 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I watched the one over a minute long, several vids of of brain dead dumbasses. If not gored, my preference, they should be arrested, jailed, and fined. See how fun their vacation is now !!:lol:

Sad thing is, when- not if- they get clawed, chewed on or stomped into a puddle of goo, the animal suffers for their dumbassery.

Maybe the penalty for dumbasses who survive should be, "For the next 30 days you will have to feed such animal as you tried to play with, by feeding such animal with your hand to their mouth 3 times a day".  "If you survive the 30 days, you will be able to put on fresh underwear and go home".

I worked in Yellowstone for a summer in 1960....washing dishes, but still.....

We saw it every day, mostly more than once.  Saw some people get hurt and a lot of near misses, a number of cars damaged, a tent or two demolished, and a bear shot by the rangers after she was so injured she couldn't survive.

Took a Family Vacation to Yellowstone in July 2022.  I didn't believe all the stories I had heard before, until I saw it 1/2 a dozen times a day for two days, of these "Tourons" trying to interact with the wildlife.

Parents letting their kids playing around the hot springs off of the boardwalks, getting within an arms reach of bison and elk, driving slowly along side a bison so they reach out and touch them, leaving exposed leftover foods around picnic areas and camp sights. 

The list is not only endless - it's evolving.

And the only thing I could think each time was " And they're still breeding? "

What aggravated me the most, is when an animal has to suffer and/or be put down because of these idiot interactions.

On 9/12/2023 at 5:43 PM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Do a search for 'bison selfie' and prepare to embrace the stupid.

bisonselfie2.jpg.c127c2565eca58e9238c70fcf9298d03.jpg

bisonselfie3.thumb.jpg.e26c02de2c58071a39ff3f6d5a781a1b.jpg

Look more closely. I'm betting these are "domesticated" bison, used to having people around. In the top photo there appears to be what might be a grain trough, and the bottom photo, appears to be loose hay, along with someone working in the background.

2 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Look more closely. I'm betting these are "domesticated" bison, used to having people around. In the top photo there appears to be what might be a grain trough, and the bottom photo, appears to be loose hay, along with someone working in the background.

Guy down the road had bison and later beefalo (cow-bison crosses).

Both were bughouse nuts and mean.  The County made him get rid of his last one after it got out one time too many and beat up a county service truck- with the crew in it.

11 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Guy down the road had bison and later beefalo (cow-bison crosses).

Both were bughouse nuts and mean.  The County made him get rid of his last one after it got out one time too many and beat up a county service truck- with the crew in it.

There are several farms raising them in the county I live in and surrounding counties. I've not heard of any real issues, but that doesn't mean there aren't. Of course, I've seen horses and cattle get out and be... Challenging, to say the least.

If someone wants to feed a buffalo without getting hurt, there is a bison ranch on the border of Colorado and Wyoming, off I-25, where you can ride a special train, which stops and the semi-tame buffs will come up to the sides of the open cars, and you can feed them bits.  They've got other critters you can see from the train, as well.  

22 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I worked in Yellowstone for a summer in 1960....washing dishes, but still.....

We saw it every day, mostly more than once.  Saw some people get hurt and a lot of near misses, a number of cars damaged, a tent or two demolished, and a bear shot by the rangers after she was so injured she couldn't survive.

My son worked there in the early 2000s. These days they put the bears down who break into staff camps. Once they get a taste of human food and trash, they come back for more. His group was told that if they didn’t mind their camp and bear boxes, and a bear had to be put down, the bear’s death was on them. IIRC, the responsible staff members were let go. 

Archived