SASS Wire Forum

What my son heard about Australia

Trigger Mike

My son is in college now and has a classmate from Australia.  He got word he is being deported because prior to coming here he threw a rock at a car that turned out to be an unmarked police car.  They went to Walmart and while there he saw what he described as a “slab of cake”.  Seems he had never seen a large rectangle cake before.  Then he was amazed by ice cream cake, having never heard of it either.   

he went on to tell my son that in his country if someone walks into your house and grabs your car keys and you touch them you will got to jail for assault for a few years.  

Let me make sure I followed that.

The Australian kid, while in Australia, threw a rock at an unmarked Australian cop car. While he was in Australia.

And now he is in the states, and he is being deported back to Australia, for a misdemeanor crime he committed in Australia?

I've heard of foreign nationals being deported because they've committed a crime here in our country, and we don't want them here because they're committing crimes here in our country. But I never heard of one being deported for a crime they committed in another country. We have no jurisdiction over what they did in this other country.

Possibly he is being extradited back to Australia - the Australian cops want him back to stand trial for throwing a rock at the car. But deported?

And extradition for throwing a rock at a cop seems a little overboard.

26 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

he saw what he described as a “slab of cake”.  Seems he had never seen a large rectangle cake before.  Then he was amazed by ice cream cake, having never heard of it either.   

he went on to tell my son that in his country if someone walks into your house and grabs your car keys and you touch them you will got to jail for assault for a few years.  

Hey ..... not all Aussie's are smart.

Here's an example above of a dumb one. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Let me make sure I followed that.

The Australian kid, while in Australia, threw a rock at an unmarked Australian cop car. While he was in Australia.

And now he is in the states, and he is being deported back to Australia, for a misdemeanor crime he committed in Australia?

I've heard of foreign nationals being deported because they've committed a crime here in our country, and we don't want them here because they're committing crimes here in our country. But I never heard of one being deported for a crime they committed in another country. We have no jurisdiction over what they did in this other country.

Possibly he is being extradited back to Australia - the Australian cops want him back to stand trial for throwing a rock at the car. But deported?

And extradition for throwing a rock at a cop seems a little overboard.

I wonder if my son and his friends misunderstood.  They did decorate the cake with “happy deportation day” but extradited sounds plausible.  Personally I think my son should not be hanging around someone who throws rocks at any car.  

38 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I wonder if my son and his friends misunderstood.  They did decorate the cake with “happy deportation day” but extradited sounds plausible.  Personally I think my son should not be hanging around someone who throws rocks at any car.  

Fixed -  Personally I think my son should not be hanging around with an Australian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

677863674b592f03168514a7064a108d.webp.34e584c897152e360e55111bbb9197cc.webp

Yeah, don't believe everything an Aussie tells you.

Plenty of big cakes and Ice Cream cakes here, we even have COSTCO here in some cities.

I doubt the Australian law system would pay the costs of brining someone back for throwing a rock, there may ne a bit more to that story.

If someone breaks into your home, you have the right to defend yourself using proportionate force.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

...burrocrats...

Perfect. Word of the day. I love it!

:D

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What an insult.  Burros are delightful animals to have around and can carry loads that would cripple a horse.  Besides, the little buggers are cute.

I was going to say “Use Dumbocrats instead” but I think that title is taken by others. 

A friend called them “Bumblecrats”

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

can carry loads that would cripple a horse

I think I'm going to have to agree with that.

Now I'm not saying that Shirley MacLaine is a big woman, but I'm pretty sure that if she was straddling a horse colt that size, that horse would be spraddle-legged on the ground.

two-mules-for-sister-sara-987006l.jpg

My guess is that his Visa has run out and they won't extend it due to some pending charges in his home country.  We have enough idiots here already without depriving some Australian village of theirs.  

16 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Fixed -  Personally I think my son should not be hanging around with an Australian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

677863674b592f03168514a7064a108d.webp.34e584c897152e360e55111bbb9197cc.webp

Bear, you saying you Aussies are bad influences on us Mericans? LOL

TM

44 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

But I am stunningly gorgeous.  No brag, just fact.

Last I heard the VA still gives eye tests and provides eyeglasses and contacts. image.png.3348e1f6c3e333d5ff440c2a9e9742dc.png

OK , here is a thought on this - 

what if the kid from austrailia , was an immigrant to austrailia [there was a lot of that recently- boa people issue] and he committed that crime , i could see the aussies having a zero tolerance policy for immigrant crime of any type , so they have deported the guy , depending on what country he came from the cake thing might make sense , we obviously dont have all the facts at hand so we are speculating here , 

not sure how being here in the states might affect where he ends up tho as we seem to have no rules on immigration any more here , 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Last I heard the VA still gives eye tests and provides eyeglasses and contacts. image.png.3348e1f6c3e333d5ff440c2a9e9742dc.png

Eye tests are "farmed out" to a civilian contractor at no cost to me.  That's because they don't have an ophthalmologist on the staff, only an optometrist....and because of my lens transplants that won't do.

I also get one pair of lenses and a frame every year, but they aren't suited to my face (make me look like Mister Peepers aka Wally cox) so I go to the Walmart clinic a couple of blocks from my house and pay for them myself.  They even give me a vets discount for the first pair and they'll make lenses to fit the frames I already have so I get about five pair a year.

I just had the exam a week ago and will get to Walmart after my daughter and her husband leave next week.

Archived