SASS Wire Forum

ME and a Coyote

TONIGHT:  I'm gonna try to ambush a Coyote.

I live in the county.   We have an active Coyote population thru-out E.TN, as do many places.

My house has a back bed room with a nice big window that looks out over a 200 ache beef cattle farm.

And I can sit in that window (in the dark of the room) and look out over a well lit area about 40 yards out.

I plan to take my computer, put it on YouTube, and play some 'dying rabbit' calls out that window.

My .45 Colt Marlin is loaded with some heavy stuff and sports a nice red dot sight, sighted in appropriately.

Wish me luck!

..........Widder

Good Luck, happy ambushing :). And what slim said!

I've shot half a dozen near the house over the last few years.  Most running with 223 or 6mm bolt gun.  If you have a semi, you can get a second shot.  Counter intuitive, but I have usually only needed a second shot off a rest with a semi, then I would stand and take it down.  Good Luck.

Widder, make sure you keep an eye out for those dang commercials that pop up on YouTube with no warning. It would be a shame if you had em coming in close and then all of a sudden some dork pops on spewing crap about what a healthy idiot he is. Could ruin the moment. ;)

The proofreader should be fired!

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Widder, make sure you keep an eye out for those dang commercials that pop up on YouTube with no warning. It would be a shame if you had coming in close and then all of a sudden some dork pops on spewing crap about what a healthy idiot he is. Could ruin the moment. ;)

Damn, that would thoroughly suck.

Went with a bear guide as an observer on a bear hunt in Arizona about 35 years or so ago and he set out a remote controlled cassette player machine with a recording of a baby throwing a fit and screaming. We were in a blind watching a bear on a hillside quite a ways away and when he triggered that recording that bear stood up and spun around and locked in on where the recording was coming from and took off at a dead run towards the sound. Needless to say it was a very short hunt, the hunter dropped it with one shot. I used to hunt coyotes south of Casa Grande, Az. and found out that the crying baby call worked well on them too.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Call me a wuss....I couldn't shoot a dog.

They play hell on our deer fawns up here. There are so many that there isn't really a season anymore. Shoot on sight.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Call me a wuss....I couldn't shoot a dog.

When I bought this house in 1991 one of the first things I did was install what they called a radio fence. I buried a wire around the perimeter of the area that I wanted to keep my 2 Rottweilers, Bart and Barney in. They each wore a collar that would start a mild shock and build up to a strong one the closer they got to the perimeter wire. They learned well and never strayed out of the perimeter, it took quite a b’it of training. The coyotes on the other hand weren’t wearing the collars and hadn’t been trained so over a few days the coyotes killed both dogs. We brought both dogs in in the evening and they stayed in until the next morning, but they were both killed during the day. Our miniature Schnauzer Smokey got killed by coyotes when she escaped from the house thru a patio door my wife was going out of. So if I see a coyote, I shoot it. It’s not uncommon to see 3-4 a day around here sometimes so I doubt they’re going to be on the endangered species list anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

@Buckshot Bear think dingo

Trust me I'm not judging, I just couldn't shoot a Dingo either.

I'm just too much of a dog lover, if I hit one with less than a kill shot and it went off yelping I'd have nightmares.

I reckon though after reading Yul Lose's post if they're killin' your beloved pet dogs, that could change matters. 

Coyotes are wily and sly. 
For a short time back in ‘88 I was living in Edgewood, NM at my Mom’s place. We fell on hard times for a while. 
Anyway, she had a house trailer in a new community where everyone had 2.5 acres each with  4’ tall fencing. Most folks had single or double wide trailers. 
The neighbors 2 lots over had these 2 big white fluffy dogs. A male and a female. They were show dogs. 
One night I could just make out a coyote running back and forth at the back part of these neighbor’s fence. 
The two white dogs came out of the trailer via a doggy door and ran up to the fence barking at the line coyote. 
The coyote started running away for 50 or so feet them it would run back. 
It dawned on me that the coyote was probably female and in heat and she was trying to entice the male to “come out and play”. 
I ran into the house and told my Mom to call her neighbors to tell them to get their dogs inside. 
When I went back out into the back porch I saw that the male dog had literally climbed the fence and not so gracefully landed on the other side. 
The female coyote ran up to him then ran out into the darkness with the big white dog following. 
I could not really see what was happening, but I could hear it. The coyote pack tore that dog to pieces. 
As this is going on the female was trying to get over the fence. Probably to help out her mate. The neighbor man ran out to get the female and take her back to the house. 
The next day I walked over to where the coyotes killed that dog. There wasn’t much left of that big white dog. 

Coyotes are wild, wily and vicious in a pack. 
I really haven’t encountered any here in West Virginia but I am told they are around. I have been thinking about doing some coyote hunting on some of the public lands here. Maybe in the Fall. 

My daughter hit this deer at sunset and it made the woods. If we would have went after it we would have pushed it onto land we absolutely cannot get access to. We went back before sunrise the next day to retrieve it. IMG_20201212_085621810.thumb.jpg.6ea9c5e5f85727056985b908538c325c.jpg

Pair of coyotes tried to run a play on one of my dogs, if I hadn’t been out there I’d have lost that dog. 

On the land across from the house it’s common to find the remains of a fawn or yearling that coyotes have taken down and torn apart. 

The farm next to me has had calves chewed by coyotes. 

I love dogs, but will not hesitate to put a coyote down if one gives me the chance. 

UPDATE:

No Coyote last night.   I'll try again tonight.

The last 2 nights, I've waited in the dark till way past 1 and 2 a.m.   All I saw last night was somebody's domestic cat wonder

thru the back yard.

..........Widder

22 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

UPDATE:

The last 2 nights, I've waited in the dark till way past 1 and 2 a.m.   All I saw last night was somebody's domestic cat wonder

thru the back yard.

..........Widder

Maybe it's your snoring, that's driving the Yotes off.

:lol:

Been a long time since I hunted coyotes. Never could do it from a bedroom but anymore that sounds like the cat's meow.

Now cougar hunting on the other hand... ;)

Well, that's been a very long time. :(

5 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Been a long time since I hunted coyotes. Never could do it from a bedroom but anymore that sounds like the cat's meow.

Now cougar hunting on the other hand... ;)

You hunting the two legged ones or the four legged ones?? :rolleyes: :lol:

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

You hunting the two legged ones or the four legged ones?? :rolleyes: :lol:

Probably the less harmful ones…4 legged. ;)

51 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

UPDATE:

thru the back yard.

..........Widder

Coyotes are also skittish. If by using that room you are changing the normal view of your house, like glow from the computer screen illuminating the room or something backlighting you and your silhouette can be seen, it may take a couple of days.

Also, if the sound of the wounded rabbits has an echo, like it’s in your room, that might throw them off. If they think the wounded rabbit is in your house they might appear interested from a distance but they probably wouldn’t attempt to come too close. 
Are you using a speaker sitting in the open window?

Just some thoughts. 

EDIT: Or your pack runs a circuit. Coyotes out west have a pattern or routine where they patrol a specific area of land. When I used to hunt deer and turkeys in CA there was a pack that had a pretty big range and they would show up around the camping area every couple of nights, but not every night. 
I learned this from the Forest Rangers up there. They tracked the packs somehow. 

Wolves are worse. Glad we don't have any down here in Texas.

All this dog wanted to do was play with his new friend.

TM

PAT,

The sound could have been 'eerie' to the Coyotes.   But as for any lighting changes, I made double sure the screen stayed black.

I was hoping a Coyote would jump out of the wooded area and grab that cat, then I would shoot the Coyote after it killed the cat.

:lol:

TM,

that's an awesome video.  Poor dog.   Thanks for posting.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

TM,

that's an awesome video.  Poor dog.   Thanks for posting.

..........Widder

i kept waiting for the owner to step out and shoot the wolf but it wasn't to be. it was heartbreaking watching the dog want to play and the damn wolf was just looking for his next meal.

TM

15 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I live IN Fort Wayne and had to fence my yard to keep the yotes off my dogs.

Unless your fence is forty feet high it won't do much good.  Our neighborhood and each house has a seven foot block wall around the yards.  I have seen coyotes flat foot spring (like the character PePe LePew in the cartoons) up on top of the wall and then just stroll down the walls looking for lunch.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Unless your fence is forty feet high it won't do much good.  Our neighborhood and each house has a seven foot block wall around the yards.  I have seen coyotes flat foot spring (like the character PePe LePew in the cartoons) up on top of the wall and then just stroll down the walls looking for lunch.

Yep, they’re jumpers. My friend had a photo of 3 coyotes in his yard after they jumped his 6’ fence. He only got one photo and they jumped the fence and took off. 

Late one night back in the 80's ol' Hank and I decided to try to ambush us a yodel dog or two.  We were on a buddy's ranch in the foothills, settled in on a ridge about twenty feet apart.  I had a "dying rabbit" call and was working it earnestly.  No coyote; however, I decided to call it a night when what had to be the biggest damned owl west of the Rockies dang near took my hat off.  :huh:

Archived