SASS Wire Forum

8 Tactical Leverguns Article

Pat Riot

It appears there are more offerings of “tactical leverguns” than I was aware of. I knew about a couple of these but it appears the field is growing. 
I thought this article was interesting. 

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/8-tactical-lever-action-rifles-available-in-2023/

Must be the popularity of Steampunk and post-Apocalyps themes that is driving this.

I see nothing wrong with it.  Innovation, creating new market niches, keeping the firearms industry alive and vigorous.

Who knows?   Just maybe one of those will catch the eye of someone who, while not actively anti-gun, is of the "Well, Gunz are icky and I don't like them" and they'll think it's cool and they'll buy one.  

I would like another type of levergun that some think is an ugly or an abomination. I would like a stainless steel carbine with a laminate or polymer stock in .45 Colt and I want to put an optic on it. 

6 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What does 'tactical' mean, exactly? Ugly?

Seriously though. What does 'tactical' mean? Paint it black and put a rail on it. What tactic is it for?

Yes…;)

I think “they” think if they make a levergun “tactical” that certain people will be more apt to buy them. I think they’re right. 
Tactical would be, coloration that appears more stealthy. Accessory rails for lights, lasers, bipods, etc. Takedown features for easy transportation. Materials not susceptible to the elements. 

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Nice to see most have threaded barrels.  A lever action is a surprisingly good platform for a suppressor.  

I was dismissing all of these tactical lever-guns as silly, and now you are making me think...

Though I still will finish my semi-auto AR-based SBR in 300 Blackout sub-sonic suppressed "car gun."* I'm sure the buffer spring will need some tuning. A final bit of humor is to call it my car Sub Woofer.

* It will not really be a car gun, but will be finished in Plum Crazy Purple to match my Challenger. It is more intended as a range toy and fun project, but may see use as a varmint gun at some point.

8 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I was dismissing all of these tactical lever-guns as silly, and now you are making me think...

Though I still will finish my semi-auto AR-based SBR in 300 Blackout sub-sonic suppressed "car gun."* I'm sure the buffer spring will need some tuning. A final bit of humor is to call it my car Sub Woofer.

* It will not really be a car gun, but will be finished in Plum Crazy Purple to match my Challenger. It is more intended as a range toy and fun project, but may see use as a varmint gun at some point.

I saw a plum colored Glock today at the gun store. It actually looked pretty cool. 

I like the Bishop and the Marlin 1895 SBL.  I don't mind laminated or synthetic stocks and stainless steel for a gun that is going to be subject to the weather.  I can see a use for the rails and sights on the Bishop and the Marlin SBL, but some of the others are going too far.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Yes…;)
Tactical would be, coloration that appears more stealthy. Accessory rails for lights, lasers, bipods, etc. Takedown features for easy transportation. Materials not susceptible to the elements. 

Those deer are getting smarter all the time!

20 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What does 'tactical' mean, exactly? Ugly?

Seriously though. What does 'tactical' mean? Paint it black and put a rail on it. What tactic is it for?

I stopped going to gun shows when they started allow the sale of "Tactical" bikinis, toilet paper, thermos bottles, socks, felt tip pens, cell phone covers, and everything else they could put a camo pattern on

21 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I saw a plum colored Glock today at the gun store. It actually looked pretty cool. 

Yea.... but you're from California.   Hank around WV a little longer and you'll be cured.

(sorry PR, I couldn't resist)

..........Widder

24 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Yea.... but you're from California.   Hank around WV a little longer and you'll be cured.

(sorry PR, I couldn't resist)

..........Widder

I AM NOT A CALIFORNIAN!!! Just to be perfectly clear. :P

Not mine... lifted from www. The Henry X 30-30 suppressed is a pretty well thought out rifle, for what it is.

proxy-image(13).jpg

proxy-image(12).jpg

proxy-image(10).jpg

proxy-image(8).jpg

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I AM NOT A CALIFORNIAN!!! Just to be perfectly clear. :P

Me neither.
I just live here... too late to go anywhere else.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Not mine... lifted from www. The Henry X 30-30 suppressed is a pretty well thought out rifle, for what it is.

proxy-image(13).jpg

proxy-image(12).jpg

proxy-image(10).jpg

proxy-image(8).jpg

I would bet 30-30 suppressed wouldn’t be too awful loud. You’d still have a crack from being faster than the speed of sound but I would guess it’s still not bad. 

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

Me neither.
I just live here... too late to go anywhere else.

Bgavin,

Move to E.TN.

You and me have a lot in common and can shoot all our guns all the time.

..........Widder

Yes, indeed.
And... TN masons are F&AM, same as I am here in CA... won't have to relearn the entire ritual all over again, but in different wording.
I can't leave CA until December of 2026 at the earliest, as I will be Master of my lodge that year.
My ex-wife also lives in E. Tennessee, but she is more of a joke than a liability.

CA is talking about mandatory gas appliance retrofit, then bringing my county address into Sacramento city, and repealing Prop 13 property tax protections.
Any of these will force us to move early... Master or not.

BTW, I just found a 5# jug of factory sealed Trail Boss... picking up this Sunday.
$50/lb, but they don' make it no' mo' so I don't mind reaching for it.

I am thinking IF the semi is forbidden the Tac Rifle  will be all that we have.  Just a thought. 

11 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I would bet 30-30 suppressed wouldn’t be too awful loud. You’d still have a crack from being faster than the speed of sound but I would guess it’s still not bad. 

That deer won't know what hit him.

I have several Swedish and Norwegian friends, serious hunters. There, suppressors are commonly used while hunting, and are required some places. The whole idea being to control the sound as a matter of courtesy to other folks. Noise control.

14 hours ago, bgavin said:

BTW, I just found a 5# jug of factory sealed Trail Boss... picking up this Sunday.
$50/lb, but they don' make it no' mo' so I don't mind reaching for it.

Oh sure…get us to feel sympathy for ya and then you just kick us in the shins…Tsk, Tsk, Tsk…You’re a bad man bgavin. :lol:

Congratulations on that find. :D

I definitely would have paid that. 

6 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

That deer won't know what hit him.

I have several Swedish and Norwegian friends, serious hunters. There, suppressors are commonly used while hunting, and are required some places. The whole idea being to control the sound as a matter of courtesy to other folks. Noise control.

And I’ll bet they cost less there too. 

I was in Germany 10 years ago for work and I met these two guys that were hunters. They both hunted with suppressors on their rifles. They were amazed that it was so hard for Americans to get them and then I told them they were illegal in California and other states, Illinois, New York and I think Massachusetts. This surprised them as those states were more “Progressive”. I told them that 1920’s gangster movies and Hollywood have a big effect on morons. That got a laugh.

I would like a suppressor and was trying to choose between .22 and .30 calibers for my first one. I am still not sure yet. 

My Dad machined threads into the muzzle of my ancient Remington #6 22 falling block.
I can't remember ever seeing the suppressor, but I do remember the threads.
A burglar hit my house in the 70s, and relieved me of this rifle and my camera equipment.

$50 per pound is the most I have paid for powders.
Got lucky several times previously, $18 for 1# jugs of H110 and 296, from an old fella whose health was shot (!) and he was divesting.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

I would like a suppressor and was trying to choose between .22 and .30 calibers for my first one. I am still not sure yet. 

Talking to someone some (20?) years ago when I was doing some work in Germany, suppressors sell for basically the reasonable cost of manufacture and distribution like any other product, and in blister packs on the racks of stores like Walmart equivalents. No background checks or proof of firearms ownership required.

Europeans do have some restrictions and requirements on firearms (like belonging to a club), but suppressors are not a problem.

One of the local manufacturers here (eastern Tennessee) makes a multi-cal suppressor, just change some parts to change caliber. It is certainly bigger than a dedicated .22 caliber can, and does not suppress as well as their caliber-specific cans, but with the regulatory costs of buying one, it is a cost-effective option.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I was in Germany 10 years ago for work and I met these two guys that were hunters. They both hunted with suppressors on their rifles. They were amazed that it was so hard for Americans to get them and then I told them they were illegal in California and other states, Illinois, New York and I think Massachusetts. This surprised them as those states were more “Progressive”. I told them that 1920’s gangster movies and Hollywood have a big effect on morons. That got a laugh.

It's variable in Europe. In Belgium, for example, I was told that it's straight to prison for having a suppressed firearm.

11 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It's variable in Europe. In Belgium, for example, I was told that it's straight to prison for having a suppressed firearm.

Just did a search and found this;

https://www.reddit.com/r/EuropeGuns/comments/125lhvb/suppressor_regulations_in_various_countries/

I'm not certifying it as completely accurate but there is obvious lack of uniform treatment.

On 7/8/2023 at 4:52 AM, Pat Riot said:

Pat,

Silencerco is running a BOGO sale.  There are two levels of BOGO.  Spend $1,100 on a serial numbered items get a free Omega 300 base or spend $750 SN items get a free Warlock (22 Short, Long & Long Rifle).   I went to the local Silencerco dealer to buy a Hybrid 46M & because the dealer price was $990 I bought a Warlock.  I'll have to get the barrel on my Ruger Mark 2 bull-barrel to use the Warlock.  I couldn't pass the deal up even though I have a Silencer Central multi-cal 30 cal silencer.   I wanted a silencer to cover >30 cal.

45 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

Pat,

Silencerco is running a BOGO sale.  There are two levels of BOGO.  Spend $1,100 on a serial numbered items get a free Omega 300 base or spend $750 SN items get a free Warlock (22 Short, Long & Long Rifle).   I went to the local Silencerco dealer to buy a Hybrid 46M & because the dealer price was $990 I bought a Warlock.  I'll have to get the barrel on my Ruger Mark 2 bull-barrel to use the Warlock.  I couldn't pass the deal up even though I have a Silencer Central multi-cal 30 cal silencer.   I wanted a silencer to cover >30 cal.

Thank you. 

Archived