SASS Wire Forum

Ford commercials

Why does Ford have these commercials where the son is making a big fool out of his dad? Have you seen them?

This pi$$es me off! I wish my dad was still here to go for a ride somewhere! I wouldn’t be making fun of him for sure! 

We are not the target market anymore. Everbody knows their parents are dumb when THEY get to make decisions they'll show those old fogies. 

And dad's in commercials are idiots anyway

2 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

We are not the target market anymore. Everbody knows their parents are dumb when THEY get to make decisions they'll show those old fogies. 

And dad's in commercials are idiots anyway

Yea but they make em look like idiots that’s my point, most dads and grandads I know are NOT idiots! 

I have not seen these, but Ford has pretty much lost me as a customer all together due to their business practices. Same goes for Jeep. 

No we're not and haven't been since the 90's. That's the first time I saw a commercial where the guy couldn't figure out how to use the remote without his wife's help 

But in most homes who goes shopping? 

And to the original question while at this point in life I have a couple nickels to rub together I have NEVER bought new and my next truck is likely to be 40 years old cause I am done with computer controls. 

So who are they going to sell their 80k 8 year mortgaged truck to? People that THINK they're smart 

11 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

No we're not and haven't been since the 90's. That's the first time I saw a commercial where the guy couldn't figure out how to use the remote without his wife's help 

But in most homes who goes shopping? 

And to the original question while at this point in life I have a couple nickels to rub together I have NEVER bought new and my next truck is likely to be 40 years old cause I am done with computer controls. 

So who are they going to sell their 80k 8 year mortgaged truck to? People that THINK they're smart 

The dad in the commercial had no idea how a few of the new features work in his sons truck. I just bought a new SUV and the lady there went through the whole new thing with me. It was basically the same stuff I’ve had on the last two cars I bought and I’m 75!! All my friends are around my age and navigate and understand fully the newer gadgets. Making dads my age ir younger look stupid is not good marketing to me. Ford can kiss my &$@

None of the other car companies do this! Ford's trying to be too cute with their stupid commercials. They remind me of the Progressive commercials where the guy is trying to teach people not to be "like their parents"! Since when does making fun of a certain population is funny?

They are appealing to the group who like to insult folks by calling them "boomers."
They are the same group who are willing to take out a mortgage to buy a $100,000 pickup truck.

It is their world now... we are just passing by and looking in.
The new norm is fist fights on airlines and high school sports events, inability to use the correct toilet and insisting on menstrual products in the men's rest rooms.

9 minutes ago, bgavin said:

They are appealing to the group who like to insult folks by calling them "boomers."
They are the same group who are willing to take out a mortgage to buy a $100,000 pickup truck.

The new norm is fist fights on airlines and high school sports events, inability to use the correct toilet and insisting on menstrual products in the men's rest rooms.

Just wait til us boomers are dead and gone. Who's gonna support their lame arses then? Amazing how they are just giving away freedom and are offended by everything, even if they don't know what it is. Grump!!

Yesterday I schooled a young man 2/3's my age on how to fix a problem with his Ford 150.....afterwards he politely said thank you and asked how did you old guys learn this stuff before Google?  I simply replied, do not under estimate the intelligence of those who have lived long and have lived to tell about it. High mileage  Guys and Gals Rule!

It might be new to the car market, but advertising has been doing it for decades.  Same for many television shows.  And you want to talk about showing adults as stupid and incompetent, look at some of the Disney movies from the 1960s and '70s.  Kids running wild, outwitting both the bad guys and the incompetent adult good guys.  

26 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Yep, they appeal to the same people that have no idea how to change a tire, change their own oil, replace a battery correctly and refill the radiator reservoir with windshield washer fluid.

They are the same people that can't stay off of their cell phones for more than 5 seconds without having withdrawals. The same ones that crash their new Ford (that mommy and daddy pay for) into you because they feel that texting is more important than driving.

You'd think that Ford (and others) would gear (no pun intended) their commercials to who actually pays the bills...HINT, HINT...it's not the teenagers or 20 year olds.

Almost all of the commercials these days are disgusting with the obvious "everything must be inclusive" nature.

They can all kiss my a$$ and Get Off My Lawn.

40 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Yep, they appeal to the same people that have no idea how to change a tire, change their own oil, replace a battery correctly and refill the radiator reservoir with windshield washer fluid.

They are the same people that can't stay off of their cell phones for more than 5 seconds without having withdrawals. The same ones that crash their new Ford (that mommy and daddy pay for) into you because they feel that texting is more important than driving.

You'd think that Ford (and others) would gear (no pun intended) their commercials to who actually pays the bills...HINT, HINT...it's not the teenagers or 20 year olds.

Almost all of the commercials these days are disgusting with the obvious "everything must be inclusive" nature.

They can all kiss my a$$ and Get Off My Lawn.

First sentence: are you referring to the ones who now work for AAA, lots of garages, appliance and electronics stores, etc and can't answer a simple question about a product that they sell or repair (and may have in their hand as you speak), or try to replace a battery in?

I give as examples Best Buy, Sears, Verizon, Home Depot and Ace Hardware. ....and a multitude of others.  Thank God there's a Lowes and True Value near by and a few specialty places that actually can not only do a job for you, but explain what they are doing, why, and how you can keep it running.

Want to have fun?  Ask a produce manager ANYTHING about his produce and prepare to be BSed to the point of slapping him.

This will make you like Ford products even less.  According to FOX news this morning, Ford is planning to move production of some of it's Lincoln line of vehicles to China.

2024 Lincoln Nautilus Is the Brand’s First China-Made Vehicle To Be Sold in US (thedrive.com)

15 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I did not know about Buick production in China.  Sad.

My Buick Encore is made in South Korea at a GM plant there,

10 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Rye, I don't know why you get so upset about a commercial. I think it makes the old guy look smart, he can read a map, can the young guy find the end of his street with out his GPS? My kids and I go back and forth like that all the time, just good natured ribbing.

Interesting take on that! Good point!:)

12 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

None of the other car companies do this! 

They have done it for years.

"This is not your fathers Oldsmobile"

My family was (for the real cars you actually drove and relied on) an Oldsmobile family.

My grandparents had an Olds Delta 88 and a 98 - mom and dad had an Olds Cutlass  (which in its day was the number 1 selling car in the US) and a Delta 88.  One of the first show cars we ever built was a 1956 Olds 88.

My dad was thoroughly insulted by the Olds campaign and never bought another.

I guess it didn't hurt the brand any because Oldsmobile is still going stron.... What?  Isn't that interesting? 

At least Pontiac is still...  Really, Pontiac too?

But Saturn took off and made up for...

Wow.  It's almost like insulting your legacy customer is bad business.

Oldsmobile memories.  Growing up remember my dad had a Rocket 88 and a Super 88.  I had a 74 Cutlass Supreme and a 76 Olds 98 Regency, last of the "big boats".  Remember picking up some guys very early in the morning before sunup going to a gun show.  One of them was a service manager at a Cadillac dealership.  He was riding in the back seat and made the comment "Wow, this is great, nothing like the ride of a Caddy."  Told him look at the emblem on the door, it's an Oldsmobile.  "Oh, really, well this is nice."

9 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

So?  A goodly portion of Buick production is in China.  There is a big plant in Mexico where one-half makes Mercedes and the other half makes Lexis.

We are going to be in an open, shooting war with China sooner than later. That is, respectfully, the 'so.' American manufacturers and consumers of all types are funding the weapons that will be employed against American servicemen.

I understand that it is practically unavoidable to purchase Chinese-made goods. That doesn't mean I have to like it, and it is still sad when a major manufacturer moves an entire line to the home of our primary foe when we are on the brink of open warfare.

I'll holster my opinions on war and Mexico...

21 minutes ago, Roger Ball said:

We are going to be in an open, shooting war with China sooner than later. That is, respectfully, the 'so.' American manufacturers and consumers of all types are funding the weapons that will be employed against American servicemen.

I understand that it is practically unavoidable to purchase Chinese-made goods. That doesn't mean I have to like it, and it is still sad when a major manufacturer moves an entire line to the home of our primary foe when we are on the brink of open warfare.

I'll holster my opinions on war and Mexico...

The real Inconvenient Truth, your first sentence, it’s coming. Makes you wonder how many of those billions of IC’s built and installed by the Chinese have built in destructive codes to make everything that they’re  in inoperable given the command if war does start.

Archived