SASS Wire Forum

My Grandfather turned 100

Roger Ball

Friends of the Saloon,

I'd like to share some great news- just a few days ago, March 17th, my maternal grandfather, George Hendrickson, turned 100 years old. He is one of the kindest, gentlest, most selfless men I have ever known or heard of, and nobody I know is more deserving of a long and happy life.

He lives with my parents now, in Great Falls, MT. Over the birthday weekend, about 13 or so relatives flew in, including 1 of his 8 (!) brothers. We had a big family lunch at a local restaurant called The Montana Club, where, on your birthday, you receive a percentage discount equal to the age you are turning. So, yes- my grandfather got a giant New York Strip at 100% off. We also had a party with family and many local friends of my parents. I hope my grandfather felt the love, respect, and admiration shared by all for him!

It's a sublime accomplishment to me. I was surprised to learn that about 1 in every 5,000 people lives to the age of 100, though about 85% of them are women (according to Boston University). That longevity rate sounds high to me, but I guess life expectancy is greater these days. Still, when I think about what the world looked like at milestone ages for him...

- He turned 18 in 1941. That's a rough year to become eligible for military service.

- 22 in September of 1945, at the end of World War II. I know how confident I was at 22, and I didn't even contribute to defeating the Axis powers.

- 27 in February of 1951, when his daughter, my mother, was born.

- 28 in 1951 when recalled to active duty for the Korean War.

- 33, my age, in 1956. How foreign my life must seem to him!

- 46 in 1969, when his daughter, my mother, graduated high school.

- 50 in 1973. The Vietnam War wasn't even over!

- 57 in 1980, when he retired from a life as a factory worker.

- 75 in 1998, which feels like yesterday even to me.

- 76 in 1999, after which point he has surpassed US life expectancy.

- 98 in 2021, when he moved away from his home town of Connersville, Indiana, for the first time in his life, aside from time in the service.

- 99 in 2022, when he first got to meet his great-grandson, my son, born that year, who is named after him.

Thanks for joining in my celebration of this fine man. Of particular interest to this group, though never an avid shooter himself, my grandfather does enjoy watching Gunsmoke every day at 5pm, at which time he also drinks a single Budweiser. So, a toast to him, at 100 years of life, next time you pour a glass!

Here's a write-up that was run in his hometown paper. I've also attached a write-up done by a friend of mine over a decade ago regarding my grandfather's service in the Navy during WWII. It is very well written and a good read. Thanks again for indulging my sharing of this accomplishment!

George Donald Hendrickson will be celebrating his 100th birthday on 17 March, 2023!

Known to many as ‘Don’ or ‘Pat’ (on account of his St. Patrick’s Day birthday), he was born in Connersville to Edgar and Mildred (née Sheard) Hendrickson on 17 March 1923 as the third of what would eventually be 10 children. Except for 10 years in the Navy, George spent his entire life in Connersville prior to moving to Great Falls, Montana in 2021 to be with his daughter Patricia and son-in-law William Laux. George is married to Christine Hendrickson (formerly Mullins), and was first married to Garnet (née Cooley) Hendrickson.

A veteran of the Second World War, George enlisted in the Navy in 1942 and served as a Radioman aboard troop transports. He participated in the invasions of North Africa and Sicily as well as the island-hopping campaign in the Pacific, earning multiple campaign medals in both theaters and a Combat Action Ribbon. He again served briefly stateside during the Korean War before resuming his job at automotive parts-manufacturer McQuay-Norris, where he ultimately worked 30 years. George married Garnet on his birthday in 1950 and they had one child together, Patricia, in 1951, and a step-son, Ron Johnson. George retired from McQuay-Norris as a foreman in 1980. Following his retirement, he particularly enjoyed road trips to see the American west with his wife Garnet, as well as an active social life with the many friends he has had over the years around Connersville.

Objectively, his great health and longevity can be attributed to years of daily walks. However, his other secret to health is that he enjoys a single Budweiser every day at 5 o’clock in the afternoon, ideally paired with a rerun of Gunsmoke. And, ever a loyal Hoosier, he still tunes in to as many Colts football games and IU, Purdue, and Butler basketball games as he can.

For his 100th birthday, George will be surrounded by friends and family, including his daughter, grandson, two great-grandchildren, and more extended family. He expects to enjoy a large Montana steak and, of course, a Budweiser. He sends his greetings to Connersville, and his family invites you to toast him and his 100 years of life at 5 o’clock MST, this March 17th!

HENDRICKSON, GEORGE.doc

That’s pretty cool, RB. Hope he has many more. We miss you down here, enjoyed our short visit at EOT.

Salute! 

I think about my grandfather at times, he passed at 85 about 20 years back, and my wife's grand-mothers who both lived to be 94.  The thinks that they witnessed in their lives is amazing.  If not the actual invention, certainly the proliferation of the technology that exists today.  Electricity, Indoor Plumbing, Automobiles, Radio, Telephone, B/W Television, Color Television, Air Flight, Nuclear Energy, Satellites, Human Space Flight, Landing on the Moon, Internet, Cell Phones, and the list goes on.  What an amazing time to have been alive.

Cheers to a life well lived!  The Happiest Of Birthdays to your Grandfather!

Congrats to him!

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

I had 3 grandfathers, I was a late child, they all passed before I was born. My paternal grandfather died shortly after my dad was born in the Spanish flu epidemic around WWI. His mother remarried later. But I never knew any of them. Looking forward to meeting them on the other side.

I lift a glass to your Grandpaw!

JHC

If your Grandpa likes a laugh, here's a song for him:

this is a fantastic moment - very few actually get there , think of everything they have seen in their lifetime , all the changes and innovations , the great times and the bad ones , the roaring 20s was an era i think we all might have enjoyed , but the depression we all would have deplored , yet so much more , a world war , the post war boom , the frree love movement and the disco era , ............

my wife and i just celebrated that 100th with her aunt who is quite sharp and very mobile , ill never get there but im thinking my wife could , 

Thanks for sharing, and a X2 what Yul said. Sorry I missed you at EOT. A big Howdy to Hot Rock, and the younguns.

Like Capt. J H Callahan, I too never knew my Grandfathers as they passed before my birth.

Good for your G'Pa. So, Happy 100th to him!  I'm lifting a glass of Jameson Black Barrel, Slainte!

I met both my grandfathers when I was about 2 1/2, so I remember nothing about them.  I met my paternal grandmother at the same time, and again when I was about 13.  I DO remember her, at least somewhat, from the first trip.  Robust, healthy, happy, aware of what was going on. 

By the second time she was senile and was having issues with bodily functions.  I remember her from that trip as a very frail, very elderly woman who wasn't really able to make sense of what was going on around her. I think we made that trip so my Dad could get with is siblings about her condition.  Apparently most of his siblings

1.) didn't want her in a care facility,

and 

2.) didn't want to take care of her themselves.

She and Dad's siblings were in Kentucky, most of them, anyway, along with most of her grandchildren, and we were in California.  None of them wanted to take care of her.  Dad and his youngest sister (Dad was the youngest except for her) made the decision to put her in a care facility.  I think it caused some bad blood between him and a few of his brothers.  He never talked much about it.

41 minutes ago, Roger Ball said:

Thanks to all for the well-wishes! I have passed them on to a very appreciative centenarian.

@Yul Lose, I enjoyed visiting with you as well at EoT! @Buck Garrett, sorry for missing you! I'll pass along your greetings. Hope to see you, and shoot with you, sometime in the near future.

An aside - it took me until now to really look at that second image in your sig-line.  "What the heck is that stripped baton behind the wings?"  (peered closer)  "Oh!  It's a TAIL HOOK!"

On 3/26/2023 at 9:24 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

I met both my grandfathers when I was about 2 1/2, so I remember nothing about them.  I met my paternal grandmother at the same time, and again when I was about 13.  I DO remember her, at least somewhat, from the first trip.  Robust, healthy, happy, aware of what was going on. 

By the second time she was senile and was having issues with bodily functions.  I remember her from that trip as a very frail, very elderly woman who wasn't really able to make sense of what was going on around her. I think we made that trip so my Dad could get with is siblings about her condition.  Apparently most of his siblings

1.) didn't want her in a care facility,

and 

2.) didn't want to take care of her themselves.

She and Dad's siblings were in Kentucky, most of them, anyway, along with most of her grandchildren, and we were in California.  None of them wanted to take care of her.  Dad and his youngest sister (Dad was the youngest except for her) made the decision to put her in a care facility.  I think it caused some bad blood between him and a few of his brothers.  He never talked much about it.

Yes, I've heard of situations like that. Unfortunately there aren't many options other than the two you mentioned. Each situation is different, but it always seems tragic to me how much dignity one can lose toward the end of life. That is amplified if family members are unwilling or unable to care for an elderly person, or if family simply doesn't exist.

8 minutes ago, Roger Ball said:

Yes, I've heard of situations like that. Unfortunately there aren't many options other than the two you mentioned. Each situation is different, but it always seems tragic to me how much dignity one can lose toward the end of life. That is amplified if family members are unwilling or unable to care for an elderly person, or if family simply doesn't exist.

I had been rereading your post and my wife was talking about her grandparents, that got me thinking about what a blessing it must be to know, or have known, ones grandparents.

A photo of my Dad's family, I think around 1918.  My dad hadn't been born.

IMG_20230327_175312185_HDR.thumb.jpg.dd78c351e853c3c422600ca217b2cb2b.jpg

On 3/27/2023 at 5:58 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

I had been rereading your post and my wife was talking about her grandparents, that got me thinking about what a blessing it must be to know, or have known, ones grandparents.

A photo of my Dad's family, I think around 1918.  My dad hadn't been born.

IMG_20230327_175312185_HDR.thumb.jpg.dd78c351e853c3c422600ca217b2cb2b.jpg

I am indeed blessed. I never met my paternal grandfather, only just met my paternal grandmother, and have a few early childhood memories of my maternal grandmother. But I have lots of memories involving my maternal grandfather, and I cherish them!

What a cool photo. I always think that old photos communicate so much more than the ones we take today.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:12 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Happy birthday, Pappy.  I'll reach that mark in 19 more years on the Ides of March.

If all goes well I'll buy you your evening Budweiser and have one with you.  Save me a place.  ;)

Hey, I'll gladly raise a glass with you! Keep on riding toward that century mark!!

Archived