SASS Wire Forum

Naming Conventions -WTCO

Dusty Devil Dale

Another thread got my mind dangerously working again.

WTCO?  What To Call Ourselves? 

What are the acceptable names?

There really isn't any such thing as a Cowboy, because cows are girls, right?  But we males don't want to be called "Bullboys"  and absolutely not "Steers".  Both of those have connotations.  

Same for females.  They could legitimately be called "Cowgirls", but the term "Girls", just like "Ladies" has negative connotations to many.  But "Cow Women" has other connotations that definitely must be avoided.  

"Cowfolks" has a nice ring to it, but it's a bit like a corruption of "Cow forks" or manure forks. 

So I am at a loss.  What do our Cow-People want to be called?  --- Or if you prefer, How should we "identify" here in these upside-down and backwards times?  After all, we need to avoid offending anyone at all costs.  LOL. 

2 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

How should we "identify" here in these upside-down and backwards times?  After all, we need to avoid offending anyone at all costs.  LOL. 

I call us Cowboys and Cowgirls because that's the heritage that we are celebrating by doing what we do. The heros that we emulate did, in fact, act the way the upside and backward people making the news CLAIM they want everybody to act. 

Most of us here simply don't worry about the things that others claim divide us. I learned a long time ago, as a U.S. Marine, that race, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation don't matter, it's what's inside a person that does. 

As for offending people by how we describe ourselves, that's on THEM. You CAN'T offend me unless I LET YOU! I'm not changing how I act to please anybody.

1 minute ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I call us Cowboys and Cowgirls because that's the heritage that we are celebrating by doing what we do. The heros that we emulate did, in fact, act the way the upside and backward people making the news CLAIM they want everybody to act. 

Most of us here simply don't worry about the things that others claim divide us. I learned a long time ago, as a U.S. Marine, that race, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation don't matter, it's what's inside a person that does. 

As for offending people by how we describe ourselves, that's on THEM. You CAN'T offend me unless I LET YOU! I'm not changing how I act to please anybody.

THANK YOU X 1000 !!!

DDD

I heard that was insulting.

A cow poke was not a ranch hand. A cow poke was one of those hangers on that was hired by either the beef companies or the railroad. They put the live cattle in the cattle cars and then chug off down the tracks. If one of the cows lays down he can get stepped on/trampled/smothered. So they have these people with long poles whose job is to stick the long pole between the slats of the cattle car and poke the cows, to get them to stand back up.

It was not a job the actual cow hand would take if he had any choice. I also heard that they would take offense to being called a cowpoke, and would show this offense by taking a poke at the caller.

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I heard that was insulting.

A cow poke was not a ranch hand. A cow poke was one of those hangers on that was hired by either the beef companies or the railroad. They put the live cattle in the cattle cars and then chug off down the tracks. If one of the cows lays down he can get stepped on/trampled/smothered. So they have these people with long poles whose job is to stick the long pole between the slats of the cattle car and poke the cows, to get them to stand back up.

It was not a job the actual cow hand would take if he had any choice. I also heard that they would take offense to being called a cowpoke, and would show this offense by taking a poke at the caller.

Interesting.  Thx.

Learn something every day.Sorry if I offended any Cow---------- out there. 

Largo

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

There really isn't any such thing as a Cowboy, because cows are girls, right?  But we males don't want to be called "Bullboys"  and absolutely not "Steers".  Both of those have connotations.  

Same for females.  They could legitimately be called "Cowgirls", but the term "Girls", just like "Ladies" has negative connotations to many.  But "Cow Women" has other connotations that definitely must be avoided.  

"Cowfolks" has a nice ring to it, but it's a bit like a corruption of "Cow forks" or manure forks. 

So I am at a loss.  What do our Cow-People want to be called?  --- Or if you prefer, How should we "identify" here in these upside-down and backwards times?  After all, we need to avoid offending anyone at all costs.  LOL. 

You've been out drinking with @Alpo again, haven't you? :D

Mostly don’t care what you call me.  Just be sure to spell my name right on the check and be sure to call me in time for the meals!!

There are a few glaring exceptions to this and if you value your health and safety, don’t get cute!! <_<

3 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Think it was in the SASS newspaper at least 15 years ago "Cowpersons" ROTFL.  "You can call me Ray, or you can call me J..."  but don't be callin' me Cowperson!

Archived