SASS Wire Forum

Is the bar open this early?

Lawdog Dago Dom

Our youngest son is a disabled veteran (70% disability). Our health insurance allows us to keep him on our policy to the age of 30, instead of stopping at age 26. He went to a dentist in January and they said his coverage had lapsed.

I have spent the last 6 weeks calling 800 numbers and faxing DD214s everywhere.

Hours of listening to bad music on hold. Spelling my full name, date of birth, address countless times. Just to call back "after 5 to 7 business days" to confirm enrollment.

Today it got to me.

A rather cold lady on my last call, was pretty much telling me it wasn't her job and offered no other avenues of assistance.

" I find it fascinating that a disabled veteran can't get a filling for his tooth, but if he came across the border he could get all kinds of medical care. Explain that to me please?"

Well that got my call switched to somebody that I could hear was typing quickly. And then I was told he was reinstated immediately.

While I'm glad it got done, this should not be that hard.

It's 10:45am now. Should I wait until noon for that beer? 

Never surrender. The bureaucracy is maddening but it can eventually be surmounted. "DENY, DENY UNTIL YOU DIE!"

Not to defend them, or imply anything, my oldest friend has various reminders of his service in Viet Nam.  His contention is that he gets wonderful care from the  VA by being, cheerful, and cooperative.  I am fighting with my insurance company, and my Wife believes I would have already resolved the situation if I didn't let myself get irritated and show it.  Comments from two people I trust most. Modifying my behavior is a considerable challenge.

im glad to hear you got it resolved , it should not be so hard to get what a vet deserves and it should come with a thankyou for his service , i was not on your calls with you so cannot comment on your demeanor but i can imagine mine having to go through all that 

Trust me I know your pain , Combat Disabled here , The VA is not our friend  . At 70 % and not prying but Have him Talk to a Local Veterans REP . He should be covered by TriCare for a small price compared to other insurance. It  saved My butt when Wife Had Cancer , 3.5 million total over her last 3 years fighting it .

But Bars always open set him up Barkeep and dont stop 

BTDT, too often. 

I recently had a bout with the brain trust that is the bureaucracy I work at in regards to workers comp from last year’s injury as well as my retirement. 

It’s no wonder people snap sometimes. 

7 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I provided design services for many VA hospital projects. After working on 5 different medical centers over 40 years I'd offer that the VA system is the worst.

The VA is not a veterans friend , , any appointment usually is accompanied by at least 3 "interviews " while they dont tell you they are mental evals they are , In which they will try to dosmall talk . Do you hunt ? What do you enjoy doing ? ect Never ever tell them you shoot or hunt , or have firearms , If they deem you troubled they then have your firearm rights revoked Its happened many times to Iraq/Afghanistan Vets , but het we are used to it when you return from some deployments you are placed on the FBI watch list , been there done that as well has been on a hit list by ISIS 3 times all fun get it from both sides .

While the magic words in law enforcement is "probable cause", the magic words in the insurance industry is "acting in bad faith".  Make sure you get the person's name you are talking to with the insurance company, supervisor if possible, and if you are getting shuffled around, accuse them of acting in bad faith.  That triggers triple damages in some states and is something that wakes them up and they start paying attention.  

This only works with insurance companies.  If your dealing with the VA, good luck.

10 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I provided design services for many VA hospital projects. After working on 5 different medical centers over 40 years I'd offer that the VA system is the worst.

as did i in my past life - amazing how often a project could go into construction and suddenly stop ....sometimes to resume partially and often to become a completely different one with no explanation , im quite certain the purse strings are controlled by congress but the spending is controlled elsewhere , 

that said i have a good friend here that did two tours in VN including TET , he is seemingly getting some very good service from the VA even if he has to travel to the twin cities when we have a VA right here in town , 

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

he is seemingly getting some very good service from the VA even if he has to travel to the twin cities when we have a VA right here in town , 

My opinion is, give our vets a go anywhere for care card.  The cost would be lower and the outcomes better.

5 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

My opinion is, give our vets a go anywhere for care card.  The cost would be lower and the outcomes better.

They are starting that somewhat nut here lies that issue , many places including eyecare dont accept TriCare because of you guessed it billing issues and payment 

11 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

im with you here - they deserve it 

I will by Lawdog a beer ! 

Yesterday they turned my retirement questions over to yet again another inept stay at home, don’t answer the phone, COVID’s a great excuse not to do my job” bureaucrat. I have to start all over again with this idiot. This is the 4th person I have had to deal with in as many months. 

I really hope there is a special place in hell for these people. 

Archived