SASS Wire Forum

Football Question

Started watching the Super Bowl and each player came out and gave their name and where they went to college.  Why do they do this?  I mean who cares?  Most of them had athletic scholarships and got a BA in transgender studies or basket weaving.  I don't understand why anyone would care where they went to school.

This was the only thing I could find that makes any sense.

https://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/16993/why-are-nfl-players-introduced-with-their-college-team

As to why people might be interested in where a player , say "Roll Tide!" to someone who went to Georgia Tech.:D

You have to have something to talk about. Maybe give some interest to people who have no affiliation with either team ? 
Im basically rooting for the Rams because Stafford is there . I’m glad he got the opportunity to get away from the Lions , just wish Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders had the same opportunity 

They do that at all NFL games. Many never graduated. 

It’s rare for college athletes to complete a 4-year degree within their 4 years of playing eligibility because training and playing eats up so much time. So the NCAA give scholarship athletes 6 years to complete their degree. Those that go on to play professionally often don’t hang around long enough to complete their degree, much less use up their 4 years of eligibility. 

It’s great PR for the colleges though…

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Started watching the Super Bowl and each player came out and gave their name and where they went to college.  Why do they do this?  I mean who cares?  Most of them had athletic scholarships and got a BA in transgender studies or basket weaving.  I don't understand why anyone would care where they went to school.

This is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard here. I'm sure you are not stupid but that Sir is plain disrespectful. 

12 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Because some people enjoy watching football.

You’re absolutely right Joe, I still like the game of football ! It was a pretty good game. 

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You’re absolutely right Joe, I still like the game of football ! It was a pretty good game. 

I’m definitely not into football like I used to be , I don’t think I watched 1 whole regular season game this year. But I honestly can’t remember a year where there was a more competitive playoff series and Super Bowl combo 

49 minutes ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

This is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard here. I'm sure you are not stupid but that Sir is plain disrespectful. 

You must not have been here much.  This is the saloon.  We talk about all kinds of stuff and don't call people or their ideas stupid.  Get over yourself.

11 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It was a good game , not a blowout like so many Super Bowls 

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

A decent game until the Bengals self-destruction with stupid penalties at the end.  And not as exciting as the playoffs two weeks ago.

8 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You must not have been here much.  This is the saloon.  We talk about all kinds of stuff and don't call people or their ideas stupid.  Get over yourself.

And gouged out eyeballs and ripped off ears will be handed back to the owners at the end of the fray. :lol:

Super Bowl? I have been watching Stargate SG1. Much more reality in that series than anything regarding sports, in my opinion. 

It’s really too bad people don’t pay this much attention to what’s happening in Washington DC. Hell, it’s pretty much the same. There are sponsors and players and winners (politicians) and losers (taxpayers and voters). 

Archived