SASS Wire Forum

Chilled vs. magnum shot for 12 gauge?

Lone Rider SASS#32091

Only thing I worry about is price.   Shot reclaimed when can find decent quailty   Got some one time was so dirty that even after washing and rinsing considered melting down to make bullets     GW

7 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

I make and sell new 7.5 shot. #65 to your door for $140. This shot has been screened for size, tumbled and graphited. I ship on Receipt of payment with tracking and insurance. I can also deliver to EOT.

Fox

That is a GREAT price these days.  Lawrence is selling two 25-lb bags of #7.5 Graphited Magnum Shot for $170 plus $28 shipping.  Next time I need to resupply, I'll be contacting you, for sure.

The main difference in shot is the antimony content.  The higher the antimony the harder the shot.  Chilled shot is typically 2% antimony.  (Soft)  Magnum shot is typically between 4 and 6% antimony.  (Hard)  Makes a difference shooting competitive clay sports at 40+ yards.  Makes zero difference at the point blank range SASS targets are set.

I loaded a shell with spent primers and knocked a KD target down (not at a match!).

I would not do it again as the primers are a bit harder than lead shot.

Reclaimed, chilled and magnum have all worked for me.

FWIW I load all with #6 now since larger shot is better for social incidences.  You just never know...

Any shot that is "chilled" is harder than it would be if it were not chilled. When you drop hot shot or bullets in cold water it will harden it considerably. Google Los Angeles Shooting club and you can find out about the effects of cold water on hot lead.

kR

I load reclaimed shot I buy from the trap club.
Knockdowns don't care if the shot is *round.*

Roto metals was running a special on two 25 pound bags shipped for $125. 

20 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

FWIW I load all with #6 now

Some ranges I shoot at don't allow anything larger than 7.5, but that's a side track to this thread.

Does the larger shot increase the splatter on the gallery?

I agree with the consensus that for the cowboy game, not an important factor. 

Back when shot was made by dropping molten lead from a tower, antimony was required to help round out the pellets, so all shot had some antimony and chilling it made it harder. Given the card and fiber wads without a shot cup, hard shot was necessary for decent patterns. Again, not a factor in our game, but for shooting flying game, pattern is an important factor. Extra Hard or Magnum shot has more antimony, tends to be a bit rounder, and depending on the loading and shotgun, would hold a tighter and denser pattern with fewer flyers. 

I have bought Extra Hard shot to enrich bullet lead, because of it's antimony content. At the price and scarcity of shot today, that is like throwing money away, not a smart budgeting move. 

Larger shot tends to have a higher antimony content than the smaller shot. Several books list percentages, but they vary. There are no standards. Back in the day, skeet was my game, and I loaded with #9 Extra Hard. I felt that even a couple pellets would break a target. The Extra Hard was brought in for the International Trap and Skeet shooters, the targets were harder and flew faster, chilled shot didn't work as well. 

Depending on the target, a bit of a choke helps. Most of the cowboy guns are cut down full chokes, and the barrels are short, they are true scatterguns. I tested patterns with a barrel, cutting of an inch or two at a time. On a 30" barrel I cut off the choke and began testing. The patterns were large and stayed fairly consistent until about 22",  And at 20" the patterns was scattering noticeably and only got worse the shorter you went. At 22", you could still do a bit of old school back bore jug choke work and get a better pattern. 

The shotgun I usually use has a Cyl. choke and is 20", it's pattern is large and it has less authority than the average at our club. I shoot 7/8 and/or 1 oz. so I could increase the amount of shot if I needed more power. In my '97 clone with a screw in choke, I went with a skeet choke for a bit of pattern control. It is not as slick as my other clone, so it stays in the safe. Slick trumps choke, IMHO.  

I do wonder which shot tends to ricochet more, soft? or hard? 

BB

On 1/29/2022 at 8:17 AM, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

I am new to shotgun reloading and need to buy some shot. Does it matter much at the distances we shoot whether the shot is chilled or magnum shot? Thanks!

I’m holding out until they have some more reclaimed shot at Tusco. Pam has it behind the counter. But they have not had any last since High Noon. 

I can not tell any difference in ANY shot when shooting this game. I suppose that the harder shot might be more prone to feed back at our short distances. 

38 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I can not tell any difference in ANY shot when shooting this game. I suppose that the harder shot might be more prone to feed back at our short distances. 

It is the same sort of concern as prohibiting steel shot.

Archived