SASS Wire Forum

Grab bar installation

After my fall and fractured vertebra, the hospital OT recommended a grab bar for the shower.  A permanent grab bar is major work because you need make a good anchoring in the studs. It also means scheduling workers, etc.

a really good but removable solution uses suction cups that adhere to the shower wall. First you need to clean the wall and cups. My son in law put one into my shower, I liked it and bought a few more.  SIL came and installed them.  Two of the cups would not stick, the apparent reason is microfissures in the wall.  I tried more cleaning but no joy.  Finally I tried making the contact surfaces dirty. I smeared dawn dish detergent on the noncooperating cups. They have stuck for two weeks so far.

so if you have an elderly relative who needs support in the shower, it’s an additional idea.

Re-seat the suction cups weekly or more often, and test their grip every time you get into the shower.

Duffield

I would never trust any suction cups. One let’s go and you end up possibly crippled permanently. If I couldn’t install a proper bar myself I’d pay an installer.

Oddly enough,  just the other day I thought about putting one in. I removed a bar when I remodeled the bath years ago and I think I stored it in the barn. Not a big deal to locate studs.

It’s possible that medical insurance would pay for one.

The VA has programs to help with these things and even ramps.

Put plywood behind the drywall or shower wall you ever remodel a bathroom.  Then you can put a grab bar anywhere you need when the time arises.  

You can use adhesive to hold a grab bar in place.  Refinishing the shower wall can clean up those surface imperfections.

Marshal - as others have said be very careful with any suction cup.  If you’ve got a Lowes near you I’d suggest getting these:

image.jpeg.896730ac0104566aecb7f1a2f8415796.jpeg

They are very easy to install and much more secure than a suction cup!  Here’s a link for it: Moen mount

I had my bathroom remodeled a few years back and put in four grab bars.

Didn't help a bit when I passed out on this Christmas Eve and broke three ribs, a vertebra, and a tooth, cut one ear all to hell, and bled a pint out of my nose.

Someone needs to invent one that will grab you instead of you grabbing it.

I really can’t put holes in the shower. Some of these have been in for seven months now and are still tight. I do test them often.  I mostly use them so that I have two points of contact when turning or stepping in the shower.  But the cautions here gave me an idea. I will have my grandson try to pull them loose when he comes next week.  He is a college rower.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I really can’t put holes in the shower. Some of these have been in for seven months now and are still tight. I do test them often.  I mostly use them so that I have two points of contact when turning or stepping in the shower.  But the cautions here gave me an idea. I will have my grandson try to pull them loose when he comes next week.  He is a college rower.

He might pull the tile off the wall.

I have one of these in my shower. My wife bought if for me when I had one of my accidents :rolleyes:

It really is a good one.

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/carex-ultra-grip-grab-bar-0347403

I had a longer one but it seems the shorter ones maintain better suction and adhesion.

12 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Capture.JPG.86c9b2e1d7084f348768c9a394abde4c.JPG

I was in a crab bar in Tampa one time when a waitress leaving the kitchen tripped and launched a platter of shrimp and crab legs through the air. It hit the guy sitting closest smack in the middle of his back, on his white dress shirt, cocktail sauce and all. He took it in stride. His wife was furious. She knew she’d probable never get the stain out.

I guess even in a crab bar there’s a need for a grab bar. :D

I had them installed beside the toilets and sinks for my wife, but with my knees getting worse, I use them now as well.

The suction cup models, while OK for steadying you in the shower or getting out of the tub, don't support much (or any) weight.

If you're in a two story, you might want to start thinking about a chair glide, but shop around. The first ones I got quotes on were 23,000.00 and 22,500.00 and were 6 to 8 weeks delivery, as the sales/technician claimed they had to be custom made

The one I bought was just over 13,000.00 and was in the day after I signed the contract. 5 years ago, and it still works just fine.

ideal is to provide adequate backing at construction , retrofits that are not a permanent install are an accident waiting to happen , if you need one you will be depending on it to support the weight you apply , worth paying to get it right 

Archived