Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Reusable tumbling media


Clay Thornton
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know a lot of folks that wet tumble and use a reusable media like stainless or ceramic pins. 

 

What about vibrating tumblers? I currently use corn cob media, but it seems like every time I buy it, it gets more and more expensive.  Can I use similar products like ceramic balls in my vibrating tumbler?

 

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I purchased a jug of Lyman treated walnut media several years ago.  I have used about half of it and have never worn any of it out.  I add a bit of car polish to it and run about 5 min before adding the brass.  very little dust and it cleans and polishes well.

 

Blackfoot

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cut up into quarters a used dryer sheet and add to the media.  The sheet pieces will absorb the dust and dirt and keep media dirt free for years.  I am a heavy user of the vibrator tumbler and the media is changed about every two years.  Also add 1/2 tsp FLITZ to the media along with the sheets before loading.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Clay Thornton said:

I know a lot of folks that wet tumble and use a reusable media like stainless or ceramic pins. 

 

What about vibrating tumblers? I currently use corn cob media, but it seems like every time I buy it, it gets more and more expensive.  Can I use similar products like ceramic balls in my vibrating tumbler?

 

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations. 

 

I know this is not what you asked, but it's fast & easy.

Buy a wet tumbler (Frankford Arsenal works fine). Forget the media unless you care about the insides of cases. Put in cases, 1/2 tsp of Lemi Shine, 1/2 tsp of Strato Sheen and 1/2 tsp Dawn. Tumble for 1 to 2 hrs, rinse and throw them in your dry tumbler with corn cob or walnut media for 10 minutes to dry. Your media will last forever.

 

Edited by Yusta B.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the tips on cheap media.

 

With that being said it also sounds like I am switching out my media to often. 

 

Will make adjustments to my current process and keep moving forward. 

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go to your local pet supply shop and pick up a bag of ground walnut lizard litter.  I have seen it for less than $8.00 a bag.  Use that with a little Nu-Finish car polish, and your bass will come out looking like jewelry!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2021 at 5:55 PM, Fence Cutter said:

This is a pretty good inexpensive route that I go with.   $ 12.00

20210822_175239.jpg.92be0b2dcea3fc41a01a41b8fd8bda96.jpg

 

37 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Go to your local pet supply shop and pick up a bag of ground walnut lizard litter.  I have seen it for less than $8.00 a bag.  Use that with a little Nu-Finish car polish, and your bass will come out looking like jewelry!

 

I bought a bag of Zilla brand lizard litter about ten years ago.  It was EXTREMELY dusty.  YMMV.

The lizard litter I've bought since (don't recall the brand) wasn't as bad, and the dryer sheets in the media definitely help.  I use about 50-50 corncob and walnut.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know what my walnut or corncob media cost it was soooooooooooo long ago. I change it out every year or so. This week I ran two batches about an hour and they were sparkling and no need to rinse or fool with it. I use Nu Finish from Harbor Freight, I think around $8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your guys are just cheap. Just throw the brass out and load new brass each time, then you don't need any tumbler. :ph34r:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2021 at 4:55 PM, Fence Cutter said:

This is a pretty good inexpensive route that I go with.   $ 12.00

20210822_175239.jpg.92be0b2dcea3fc41a01a41b8fd8bda96.jpg

Been using Lizard Litter for years and it's pretty cheap and lasts a long time. I bought a #40 bag about 5 years ago and I still have #10 or so left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, Deadwood Miner, SASS # 45575 said:

Cut up into quarters a used dryer sheet and add to the media.  The sheet pieces will absorb the dust and dirt and keep media dirt free for years.  I am a heavy user of the vibrator tumbler and the media is changed about every two years.  Also add 1/2 tsp FLITZ to the media along with the sheets before loading.

 

Tried this out and it works terrific!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.