SASS Wire Forum

Ancestor question

Alpo

Does it have to be direct descent, for him to be your ancestor?

For example, my great-grandfather Steven had seven brothers. And I am related to Steve's seven brothers.

Now the father of Steven and his seven brothers - Bryant - is my ancestor, just as Steven is.

But are Steven's brothers - my great great uncles - my ancestors, or are they just my distant relatives?

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

an·ces·tor
/ˈanˌsestər/

noun
  1. a person, typically one more remote than a grandparent, from whom one is descended.

That's the definition I am finding. That would mean that Steven, who I am descended from, is my ancestor. But his brother George, who I am not descended from, is not my ancestor.

That's the way it reads to me. I just wanted to know if that's the way it read to everyone else.

If I'm talking about myself I only use "ancestor" when talking about direct lineage.  But, talking about society, I will say "Our ancestors weren't stupid."  or "Our ancestors were pretty smart, look at what they were able to build and how long it has lasted."

13 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If I'm talking about myself I only use "ancestor" when talking about direct lineage.  But, talking about society, I will say "Our ancestors weren't stupid."  or "Our ancestors were pretty smart, look at what they were able to build and how long it has lasted."

Very well said Joe. I agree. 

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Depends on whether it improves your standing with liberals.

Sort of. ;) Now we can self identify as whatever or whoever we want. Human-fluidity, I guess.

Pretty convenient actually!

:D

My dad's brother (my uncle) told the family of one of their grandfather's (my great grandfather's) brothers was hung from the tongue of a wagon.   I don't know if this Great-whatever Uncle is technically an ancestor or not since he didn't have any offspring.  But, it sure makes for an interesting family story. ^_^

Oh, and that great-whatever uncle was the one nobody in the family was supposed to talk about. :D

15 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My dad's brother (my uncle) told the family of one of their grandfather's (my great grandfather's) brothers was hung from the tongue of a wagon.   I don't know if this Great-whatever Uncle is technically an ancestor or not since he didn't have any offspring.  But, it sure makes for an interesting family story. ^_^

Oh, and that great-whatever uncle was the one nobody in the family was supposed to talk about. :D

Your post of this story, in another thread, is what caused my ponder. You refer to the horse thief as your ancestor, and then you said he died without issue.

Wondered whether you used a different definition of ancestor than I did, or if you were making a funny, like the story about your mother dying before you were born leaving you to take care of your younger brother and sister by yourself.

yes , i believe they would be , their descendants would be distantly related to you but im thinking the "removed" comes into play somewhere too 

my great grandfather and his brothers left scotland - he went to canada , they went to austrailia/new zealand , my folks visited those "distant relatives" and were received as kin , also in scotland by the decendants of my great grandfathers sister who remained there , i suspect ......im not interested in looking into it .......that DNA would tie it all together , 

the DNA data base these ancestry research companies are building has already solved a lot of decades old crimes and i suspect this will become a common crime solving instrument in the future as they increase the efficiency of DNA analysis techniques , 

i see this as a "big brother" thing right now , in spite of the good its done , im not willing to contribute to this government intrusion , i may change my mind down the road - its not like they cant get my DNA a whole lot of other ways  , probably have it already , birth cert has my footprint 0 size has changed a bit tho 

21 hours ago, Alpo said:

Your post of this story, in another thread, is what caused my ponder. You refer to the horse thief as your ancestor, and then you said he died without issue.

Wondered whether you used a different definition of ancestor than I did, or if you were making a funny, like the story about your mother dying before you were born leaving you to take care of your younger brother and sister by yourself.

Not a funny. This story of mine is as told to me by an uncle (my dad's oldest brother}.

On 6/10/2021 at 4:15 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Here's another chart "relative" to the discussion. 

I never understood the "once/twice, etc. removed" designation until I saw this.

image.png

I'd be just a happy if my "removed" cousins, aunts, uncles, etc., stayed removed.  Got a few first cousins that applies to, as well, and an uncle by marriage whose mother should have been drowned before he was born.

Archived