SASS Wire Forum

3 clicks vs 4 , a video some might enjoy

Buckshot Bob

I have a 3 click Uberti Cattleman that I shot about 300 rounds from with no problem. My son has it now and he has had no problems at all!;)

I never had a problem with my "3 click" revolver. The only reason I changed to the old style hammer was so that it matched my other revolver to aid in consistency at the loading and unloading tables.

I'm a simple man...

im simple as well but ive not had issues with either , i grew up understanding these - lot harder for me messin with the loading gate of my rugers and not cocking the hammer part way to do it 

I have a pair of Cattleman IIs in 44-40 that I bought just to shoot black powder and have had no issues.  The controversy at the time of my purchase was the retractable firing pin.  Folks were saying that would just not last, but I bought them anyway and have not regretted my decision.

I did however, stay with my Vaqueros as my main match revolvers as they just seem to be smoother for me.

Taylor's sells an original-style hammer and trigger setup to replace the retractable firing pin, and trigger, if anyone wants to change back to the 4 click setup. 

Some seem to like the 3 click setup, some seem to dislike it, so Taylor's has a solution to that.  Taylor's sells a non-retractable firing pin, original style hammer, and a trigger set up, that you can replace the 3 click, retractable firing pin set up...if you so desire to do that.  

But everyone has a choice, and I am all for choices. You can purchase an uberti Cattleman old model P, with a blackpowder frame, that still has the 4 click set up, or, you can buy the 3 click Type II Cattleman, and you can always change it back to 4 click, if you end up not liking the 3 click design...thanks to Taylor's. Then, everybody is happy. 

I don't' even own a 3-click gun (yet), but I went ahead and bought two of those Taylors hammer/trigger kits, just to have "in case".   One problem with the Cimarron "Old Model" guns is that they are only available in .45, .357, and 44-40.  If you want .44 Spcl or any of the dash calibers then the only choice is the 3-click gun.  And it's not that I don't trust the new system, just a preference for authenticity.

I wound up bringing a 3 click Uberti in .44-40 home today, looking forward to getting it to the range this week. Action feels very nice.

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Taylor's sells an original-style hammer and trigger setup to replace the retractable firing pin, and trigger, if anyone wants to change back to the 4 click setup. 

Some seem to like the 3 click setup, some seem to dislike it, so Taylor's has a solution to that.  Taylor's sells a non-retractable firing pin, original style hammer, and a trigger set up, that you can replace the 3 click, retractable firing pin set up...if you so desire to do that.  

But everyone has a choice, and I am all for choices. You can purchase an uberti Cattleman old model P, with a blackpowder frame, that still has the 4 click set up, or, you can buy the 3 click Type II Cattleman, and you can always change it back to 4 click, if you end up not liking the 3 click design...thanks to Taylor's. Then, everybody is happy. 

OR

You can get a Pietta from EMF or Cimarron and not worry about stupid retractable firing pins ; better guns IMO anyway :)

8 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

OR

You can get a Pietta from EMF or Cimarron and not worry about stupid retractable firing pins ; better guns IMO anyway :)

Better in some ways, perhaps.  But still no 44 Spcl, 32-20, or 38-40.  At least they do 44-40 and have BP frames if wanted.  

I just don't know what all the fuss is about.  I've got one of each and the number of clicks makes no difference.  The retractile firing pin works fine. The sights and the full moon ejector knob are the real differences between the Pre-war and Old Model versions.  (And the pin vs. screw to remove the cylinder, but that comes into play only when removing the cylinder...the sights and the ejector knob come into play every shot.)

29 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

I just don't know what all the fuss is about.  I've got one of each and the number of clicks makes no difference.  The retractile firing pin works fine. The sights and the full moon ejector knob are the real differences between the Pre-war and Old Model versions.  (And the pin vs. screw to remove the cylinder, but that comes into play only when removing the cylinder...the sights and the ejector knob come into play every shot.)

Until it doesn't and when it doesn't will be on the last stage of a thus far clean state match.

No 3 vs 4 clicks makes absolutely no difference.  For me its the general principle of it, I'll not buy a Uberti with a retractable firing pin. Solution that solves a non existent problem.

I have one of each in the last set of Uberti’s I got. They are the short stroked ones. Taylors doesn’t have the replacement trigger,hammer,etc needed to change back to 4 click. Haven’t had any trouble with my 4 click...but the 3 click messed up in the middle of a state championship. Now I am shooting Rugers and before too long my 4 Uberti’s will be going up for sale. 2 in 45 colt and 2 in 357. I will never buy another 3 click revolver. Just my experience. 

15 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Until the firing pin fails and when it doesn't will be on the last stage of a thus far clean state match.

No 3 vs 4 clicks makes absolutely no difference.  For me its the general principle of it, I'll not buy a Uberti with a retractable firing pin. Solution that solves a non existent problem.

Fair enough.  If I could design an SAA replica with all my favorite features, it would be the Old (Black Powder) Frame with solid firing pin and extractor rod like the Cimarron 7th Cavalry model, but with the wider front sight and push button cylinder release like the Cattleman II.  I like the Pietta C&B guns, but their 1873 models have slight differences in the frame

9 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

..but the 3 click messed up in the middle of a state championship. .. 

How did it "Mess Up"?  I've seen a few YouTube videos and I have some ideas to modify it so the pin stays fully out, without replacing the hammer and trigger, but I want to know it it's really necessary.  I've only had one time in a match when I had to run the cylinder around to get one to fire, but I don't know if it was a fault of the gun or something I did.

As far as I can tell...the part on the side of the trigger that raises the actuator bent some. The firing pin wouldn’t come ou far enough to fire the cartridge. I took the actuator rod out and cut a piece of drill bit shank and put it behind the firing pin to shim it out. Measured against the 4 click so I had the same amount of firing pin protrusion from both. No more problems when I have used them since...but I started using Rugers since then.

Mine came with the retractable firing pin, and initially gave poor primer strikes one one. Got that smoothed out and they ran fine for a couple months. After being at the range for a day when a dust storm came through and got a fine almost talcum powder dust in everything it just caused those retractable pins to feel like gravel and bind up. Changed the hammers and triggers out to the original style and no longer an issue. 

All the Old Open Top Frames of the Colt cap and ball guns have always been three click guns .

So saith the Rooster 

2 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Fair enough.  If I could design an SAA replica with all my favorite features, it would be the Old (Black Powder) Frame with solid firing pin and extractor rod like the Cimarron 7th Cavalry model, but with the wider front sight and push button cylinder release like the Cattleman II.  I like the Pietta C&B guns, but their 1873 models have slight differences in the frame

The Pre-War and BP frames themselves are identical save for the cylinder release style and the rear sight shape.  You would not want a V-notch rear sight with a squared front.  Back when all the Ubertis has a V-notch rear, squaring them in a mill was a common request for gunsmiths.  

So...the video mentioned the Evil Roy revolvers as having the 4-clicks.  The list of guns in stock that Cimarron sends to their dealers has showed two different sets of Evil Roys for some time now: the regular pre-war guns which were changed over by Uberti to the 3-click safety version, and a newer version that were on the Old Model (BP) frame with the standard 4-click hammer.  But the last list I saw no longer shows a separate BP frame model.  So I looked at Evil Roys website, and then contacted him for clarification.  The change has been that the standard ER guns with the Pre-War frame are now back to the standard 4-click hammer, same as they were before Uberti made the change, therefore they no longer needed to carry the BP framed model to get the 4 clicks.  

So Jake, to get what you want, just buy an ER and change the ejector rod to bullseye type.  :)  Or, the Pietta in a Pre-War frame, and change the ejector rod in that one.  You mentioned differences in the Pietta SAA frame.  Not sure what you are referring to, but my Pietta (just have one) feels the same in my hands as my Model Ps.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The Pre-War and BP frames themselves are identical save for the cylinder release style and the rear sight shape.  ...  

So Jake, to get what you want, just buy an ER and change the ejector rod to bullseye type.  :) ...

You mentioned differences in the Pietta SAA frame.  Not sure what you are referring to, but my Pietta (just have one) feels the same in my hands as my Model Ps.

Yeah, the frame on the BP Frame has a different shape, because the front sight blade on that model is very narrow.  After shooting both styles for a season, I've decided I really prefer the wider sights. Of course, I'd want the front and rear sights to match.

Whatever gun I get to replace the BP Frame model, I'll get the bullseye rod.

The frame differences are nothing you could notice in handling the guns...they're too subtle to describe without pictures, and I don't have a Pietta handy to take some.  But I definitely noticed it a few years ago when at a store that actually had an Uberti and a Pietta in stock so I could compare them side by side.

Actually, the Uberti frame is probably a few thousandths larger, as the cylinder is a few thousandths larger than Colt, and the Pietta is same size as Colt I think.  But Pietta vs Colt vs Uberti, I can't feel a difference.  They all have slightly different grips on them, and that's all I really notice as far as feel.  Obviously a YMMV thing. :)

Someone stated that Taylor's doesn't have the hammer and trigger parts, to change from the 3 click to the 4 click. 

That is INCORRECT !!!

I am, at this very moment, looking at the items on Taylor's website.

Check it out for yourself, if you do not believe me.

YES!!! Taylor's DOES have the replacement hammer and trigger!!! 

So...if you don't like the 3 click, you CAN change it to the 4 click. 

There ya go.

W.K. 

3 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Someone stated that Taylor's doesn't have the hammer and trigger parts, to change from the 3 click to the 4 click. 

That is INCORRECT !!!

I am, at this very moment, looking at the items on Taylor's website.

Check it out for yourself, if you do not believe me.

YES!!! Taylor's DOES have the replacement hammer and trigger!!! 

So...if you don't like the 3 click, you CAN change it to the 4 click. 

There ya go.

W.K. 

Also, their price is WAY less than VTIgunparts !  I don't know how they can do that, but glad they do!

• 2 months later...

Howdy,

Newby here. Does anyone have a table that shows which model numbers are 3 and which are 4 click.  I have an older 4103 that I am fairly certain is a 4 click and I need to find a second.  The video was confusing me as I have a spring loaded retention pin for the cylinder and the half moon ejector.

Thanks

Mancino, my take from the video and from having asked Gene (Evil Roy) is that a new ER4103 from Cimarron or from Evil Roy, whenever they get any more, should be 4 click.  Although I would ask to be sure.  If you buy a used or New Old Stock gun from anywhere else then you aren't sure.  I don't think there are any different markings on the label that would indicate.  So you would need to verify with the seller.  However, the ER guns have been out there for nearly 20 years so there are a whole lot of 4-click guns out there.  Good luck, and welcome to the Wire!  I think you are the first 111000+ member number I've seen.  When did you get it?

BTW, with the hammer down, look sideways at the gun between the recoil shield and the cylinder (as if you were looking for hammer down on an empty round).  If you can see the firing pin protruding through the firing pin hole (without your finger on the trigger), then it is a 4-click gun.  If you see no firing pin, then 3 click, or maybe a transfer bar gun (Uberti made a few).

Taylors has the old style hammer and trigger to convert the standard single actions to 4 click. Those parts however DO NOT work for the short stroked revolvers...which mine are...which is stated in my previous reply

Abilene, I am on Gene's waiting list.  He said he sent all the 3 click ones he had back.  I just joined SASS this week so that times my number.  I will  take a look to see if the firing pin is visible.

16 hours ago, Mancino said:

Howdy,

Newby here. Does anyone have a table that shows which model numbers are 3 and which are 4 click.  I have an older 4103 that I am fairly certain is a 4 click and I need to find a second.  The video was confusing me as I have a spring loaded retention pin for the cylinder and the half moon ejector.

Thanks

I had the same problem so I just bought a EMF californian. 4 clicks and a couple hundred cheaper. Can't tell a difference in my old 4 click smokewagon it might even be smoother straight out of the box. The smokewagon was taylor tuned. Taylors sells the checkered grips for the californian so now they are identical. 

I have quite a few "3 click" Uberti's, and have had for a good many years. They are called percussion revolvers.

The number of clicks, either 3 or 4, makes zero difference to me. What potentially bothers me, is: how delicate is the retractable firing pin set up, in the new design???  

Some, NOT ALL, users have had issues with the new retractable firing pin. That is simply a fact, if you believe what they have said. 

If Uberti, and the lawyers, want a retractable firing pin, then go for it. No problem. 

I can always go to Taylor's website, and get the standard hammer and trigger, to convert a 3 click to a 4 click...in the unlikely event I ever purchase a 3 click. 

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

Whelp, the new iron arrived... but not exactly as expected.  I thought I bought another ER4103 and what I got was an ER4151LWH....  I guess I'll have to keep it and continue to watch for another potential match.  What I can say is that both are 4 click  and at home I can tell the difference between the hammers but I doubt I will on the range. At least they got the barrel length and caliber right  - and it is an Evil Roy.

Archived