SASS Wire Forum

Weather Ponder

36 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I used to ponder why it rained so much while I'm at work.

Now I'm convinced it rains because I'm at work.

Most folks, it rains on their day off.   I read once that the smog from California would be passing over much of the country on the weekends and caused more rain then.

Friday is when all the California State politicians take a “cleanse,” purging themselves, in preparation for the  big weekend when they bow West, to their gods .  Then, the regular West-to-East ocean breezes spreads the resulting foul cloud, blowing it out of the State.  (This ritualistic process gives new meaning to the “term”.)  And, that’s also why I live on the Central Coast.

Cat Brules

6 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Seattle doesn't discriminate. It rains all week/month/year long, with an occasional breather on Tuesdays.

but oddly enough it rains more annually in Nashville, TN.

5 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I used to ponder why it rained so much while I'm at work.

Now I'm convinced it rains because I'm at work.

That's only if you have to work outdoors.   Especially if it involves electrical work. 

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's only if you have to work outdoors.   Especially if it involves electrical work. 

Standing in a busy street directing traffic in the rain qualifies...

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yep, no matter what, California  is  to blame. :P

No it's Bush's fault! ..........Oh wait..........., change that....... it's Trump's fault!:P

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Or in the ditch doing electrical work.

Duffield

36 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The only thing worse is when it starts freezing.

I find freezing precipitation an unnecessary event; inconvenient in any manner.  

23 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

but oddly enough it rains more annually in Nashville, TN.

Also New York City and Miami. Seattle doesn't lead the nation in actual rainfall totals, but in the number of cloudy/drizzly days each year. You guys in Nashville get it all at once, then it's sunny for a month.

In the pacific north west where you are standing makes a huge difference in the amount of rain you get.  When I was stationed there moving just a mile one way or the other could double or halve the rain you received. Even the maps below fail to capture the minutia of how the mountains impact rain fall totals.

What Is The Olympic Rain Shadow?

Map legend

wa_rain_map.jpg

Annual Rainfall

Yup, if you're up against the west slopes of the mountains you'll get dumped on. East slope people live in a relative desert. It's amazing to cross over wet, forested Stevens Pass when headed east and suddenly be driving into a landscape that looks more like Arizona than Washington. The politics completely change as well. Nearly all of our leftist anti-gun loons live on the wet, west side of the state. East of the Cascades it's pro-2A country.

Archived