SASS Wire Forum

Not for the faint of heart

J-BAR #18287

You folks in the midsection of the country be safe. Tornadoes are nothing to take lightly as I'm sure you're aware of. If the warning goes off, take shelter immediately. Remember, the warning only goes off AFTER the tornado has made landfall or is about to.

50 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Been pour'n here with 'boomers'.

Had planned to check out Bear Creek Volunteers on Sunday.

Got word the shoots for Saturday & Sunday are a CXL.

OLG 

Heaven, huh?

Friends place up by Warsaw, Mo. had a tree struck by lightning. Half of the tree fell on storage shed and a large piece of bark hit the house which is like 50 yards from the tree. I had a lot of lightning after leaving Springfield going home to Warsaw between 2:30pm till 4pm. A lot of rain had come down. Truman Lake is still 3 feet above normal pool since the flooding last spring when the lake hit flood stage which is like 36 feet above normal pool.

View to the south about 4:00 BEFORE the storm hit. 

https://youtu.be/r2cOLzya-2Y

Pitch black out now except for the lighting.   Still 57°.  The cold front is still 150 miles to the west.  But the rain and thunderstorms are tracking right over us. 

Tornado Warning just North of Springfield where I drove through. Calling all to head to the tornado shelters.

Just talked with Red Knee (of Oklahoma fame) and he's batten down the hatches for the

twisty warnings out there.

Check out what Festus Haggan sez about a 'Twisty' below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbTYr3NuUMs

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Heaven, huh?

No place is perfect-

Just that Springfield is pretty close. ;) 

Sooooo, what's this nonsense about that moronic governor of yours, wanting to outlaw gas powered yard tools? :wacko:

OLG 

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Tornadoes are nothing to take lightly

Back in the day when we had 3 households (3 people in the family), Petey was doing his accounting apprenticeship in Raleigh (NC) while I was holding down the fort in Charlotte (NC).  He usually came home on weekends but once called me & said come up here; you gotta see this.  There had  been a tornado come through his side of town; it demolished the nearby KMart.  I mean nothing left but rubble.  On the way, I passed stretches where trees were laid down all in the same direction, and one apartment building with an exterior wall sheared off -- it looked like looking into a dollhouse.  Furniture still in place,  lamps still on tables, pictures on walls undisturbed.  It was bizarre.

31 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No place is perfect-

Sooooo, what's this nonsense about that moronic governor of yours, wanting to outlaw gas powered yard tools? :wacko:

OLG 

THAT is called deflection. :P

49 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No place is perfect-

OLG 

When I was a kid my folks beat it into my head that heaven was perfect and now you’re tellin me it’s not, the horror!!!:P

After dealing with the weather you folks are dealing with as a kid and for a few years back in the late 2000’s “boring” is fine with me. 

It's just bright enough to go out and check the rain gauge.   Got a total of a bit over 3-3/4".  

The major rain has moved east. But it's just at freezing and a mist in the air. But I hope we won't get the ice and snow.

Missouri DOT road map shows roads a mess in north west Missouri. And a lot of road closures on rural roads due to flooding. 

Exciting Missouri weather. 65 degrees yesterday, 25 now and dropping. Lightning, big boomers all night and a few inches of rain. Freezing over now and snow storm will be here in an hour. But, don't fret, will warm up again next week. Then will do it all over again.:D

It seems that the last couple of years there has been worse weather at least earlier...to the south of us than we have been getting. Please have it cleaned up when I come through next week on the way to Arizona...

That’s one thing I can say for winter in Oregon, South of Portland. You get a lot of rain but not a whole lot of snow and ice drama. And definitely no tornadoes. 

1 hour ago, Smoken D said:

Exciting Missouri weather. 65 degrees yesterday, 25 now and dropping. Lightning, big boomers all night and a few inches of rain. Freezing over now and snow storm will be here in an hour. But, don't fret, will warm up again next week. Then will do it all over again.:D

Why do these storms always come in after I wash SWMBO's car? :lol:

OLG 

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why do these storms always come in after I wash SWMBO's car? :lol:

OLG 

SO, YOUR THE REASON FOR THE WEATHER THIS WEEK:rolleyes:

Well appearently  Lumpy & JBar kept the majority of tornados over there -----1 or 2 made it to this area but didn't touch down--seeing on news about wind damage to places 30 miles or so from here----we got a lot o rain tho!----several roads got water across em-gonna take a while for it to run off!

This morning we drove east on I70 towards Warrenton then to Washington.  Below freezing but drizzling rain all the way.   On return about 1:00, rain was harder and icing over on windshield and antenna.  The further west we got,  the worse it got. Rain turned to sleet then to a snow mix.  When we got onto the secondary road,  it was covered.  We only had about 10 miles to go.  Switched over to 4WD just in case.  Home by the fire looking at a white dusting of snow, sleet and ice. 

Larger streams were running bank full and some fields flooded.  The Missouri river has a lot of junk in it. 

Archived