SASS Wire Forum

Preferred SxS for the game today?

Marshal Flint

I am returning to CAS after a 5 year layoff, and I was wondering what the preferred SxS shotgun is today?  I had a stoeger Coach Gun Supreme the last go around and was thinking of one of those again unless someone can convince me that the gold dust would be better spent on something else.  Thanks for the help!  This place is great!

Marshal Flint

100 or 200e, both are great. They come up occasionally here on the Wire Classifieds. Can be found on Gunbroker.

Ask around at your club and/or start a WTB add here.

The prices range from $1000-$1800.  

Bah Humbug!!  None of those things have Exposed Hammers.  Hammer Doubles are where it's at.  Budget - A TTN.  Moderate - Huglu.  Top End - Pedersoli.  Of course, one must utilize ALL BRASS hulls for proper style.

All brass hulls are the best. Mine have lasted darned near forever. My favourite doubles are AyA 10 gauge 3-1/2".

I take a 20 gauge Stoeger double with me along with .30s, a .410 double and .22 with me to matches for loaners to kids and newbies.

My 8 gauge 4-1/4" is a Parker.

All brass hulls are the best. Mine have lasted darned near forever. My favourite doubles are AyA 10 gauge 3-1/2".

I take a 20 gauge Stoeger double with me along with .30s, a .410 double and .22 with me to matches for loaners to kids and newbies.

My 8 gauge 4-1/4" is a Parker.

My uncle has a 4 GA 3-barrel (side by side) waterfowl market hunter "Punt gun".  Would that be SASS legal? 

It's period correct!  (just kidding) 

---Problem is, it truly had to be shouldered on a mule or a cow to be fired.  

There's a 2 gauge punt gun at our lodge. It was attached to the box of a punt boat and, after a net was thrown over puddled ducks, was used to supply the ducks to fill casks to send to Easterners. THE GOVERNMENT RUINED EVERYTHING AND BANNED  GUNS OVER 10 GAUGE!!1  :-)

Marshal - save your self a ton of money and buy a used Stevens Savage 311 or 315 SxS

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/stevens-shotguns.c685_p1_o6.cfm

I have purchased from Griffin and Howe before, good folks.  they have the 311A, can the barrels be shortened on those?

Thanks!

Marshal

The 311 is a strongly built gun but I would have difficulty loading it quickly with that rib extension/doll’s head sticking out between the chambers.  Maybe there’s a fix for that,  but neither the SKB nor the BSS have that in the way, which is one reason they are preferred by the faster shooters.

Ms. Mary Matilda and I have always used and continue to use Stoeger SXS coach guns with Ms. Mary Matilda's being the supreme...  I have found that Stoeger's slick up easily, are built to last, our gun smith loves them, and are easy to clean...  We both shoot Holy Black Powder, mine being 12 gauge and Ms. Mary Matilda's being 20 gauge....   Our recommendation is to go with the Stoeger…   our spares are Stoegers as well....  note below:

DSC_0666.thumb.JPG.a3f815630657c0c247787309388a8a1c.JPG

Ms. Mary Matilda and I have always used and continue to use Stoeger SXS coach guns with Ms. Mary Matilda's being the supreme...  I have found that Stoeger's slick up easily, are built to last, our gun smith loves them, and are easy to clean...  We both shoot Holy Black Powder, mine being 12 gauge and Ms. Mary Matilda's being 20 gauge....   Our recommendation is to go with the Stoeger…   our spares are Stoegers as well....  note below:

DSC_0666.thumb.JPG.a3f815630657c0c247787309388a8a1c.JPG

Thank you!

SKB. Get the one with which ever forearm you like best.

BSS after that.

Those Sharp Tails  that Long Hunter is putting out look pretty good. Know a shooter that has one

and I kind of like it.

Would be a up grade from the Stoeger.  

Don't have a dog in this hunt but Long Hunter is saying the new  hammer less CZ SxS are the new SKB's.

He's tricking out and selling them as we speak.

And is you want hammers their coach guns are a thing of beauty!!

I am returning to CAS after a 5 year layoff, and I was wondering what the preferred SxS shotgun is today?  I had a stoeger Coach Gun Supreme the last go around and was thinking of one of those again unless someone can convince me that the gold dust would be better spent on something else.  Thanks for the help!  This place is great!

Marshal Flint

As Tyrel said, an SKB is the cream of the crop when slicked up by the right person. Papa Dave has slicked up a few Yildiz and they seem to be working real well.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yildiz-12-gauge-side-by-side-shotgun-105280002#repChildCatid=1584947

Randy

For the money Dollar for dollar its pretty hard to beat a Stoeger sxs 

For Cowboy I've owned two Stoegers, one Bikail four SKB's and one TTN hammered double. I now own two SKB's and the hammered TTN. The TTN is the only shotgun I have owned with double triggers. The TTN is my latest purchase and believe it or not, I can shoot it about as fast as the singles. Problem now is figuring out how to cock and load it as quick. To answer your original post, hands down SKB's are the preferred SxS of SASS. Everything else will work. AS far as single or double triggers, that is the same as asking do you prefer pistol grip or straight stock on your 73 rifle. It's the individuals personal preference. 

Double triggers. Stoeger, I have 2. I’ll always had good luck with Stoegers and I always go right back to them!

Ok,  with the Stoeger should I just get the regular Stoeger coach or the coach gun supreme?  Single or double trigger?

If you're getting a Stoeger get a double trigger. There will probably be some that say a Single Trigger Stoeger are fine, but from everything I've read over the years the single trigger Stoegers are VERY hit or miss.

Regardless they all will at some point need work. Right away you'll want to disable the automatic safety. Every Stoeger I've ever heard of at some point will start breaking open after the first shot and stop firing the second; this will need fixing and best done by a gunsmith that knows how.

It's your money and you'll likely have several shotguns anyway so I'd suggest going ahead and getting a double trigger Stoeger and go shoot. Then shop around for a SKB, BSS, or new Charles Daly single trigger and get a SASS smith like Fast Eddie, Johnny Meadows, Boomstick Jay, Ol' #4(BSS specifically) etc... to make it perfect.

Bah Humbug!!  None of those things have Exposed Hammers.  Hammer Doubles are where it's at.  Budget - A TTN.  Moderate - Huglu.  Top End - Pedersoli.  Of course, one must utilize ALL BRASS hulls for proper style.

There are hammered Parkers, I've seen 'em.    

And I always use all brass hulls.

H. K., 

Unfortunately, the only Parker Hammer Doubles I have seen were Damascus Barrel guns.  I don't consider Damascus guns particularly safe and would not in good conscience recommend one.  There are many whom disagree with that, but I only have two hands.  I want to keep them both.

H. K., 

Unfortunately, the only Parker Hammer Doubles I have seen were Damascus Barrel guns.  I don't consider Damascus guns particularly safe and would not in good conscience recommend one.  There are many whom disagree with that, but I only have two hands.  I want to keep them both.

I will agree that Damascus barrels create a problem.  I honestly don't know if all hammered Parkers had such barrels.  I also do not know if later barrels will fit on the older guns.

But Parkers are just so awesomely fantasmagorical that they are just automatically better than anything else.  

I'm rather partial to my CZ Amarillo coach gun.  Double triggers, full set of interchangeable chokes, nice wood with oiled finish, and beautiful color case hardening on the receiver and trigger guard. After some work by Happy Trails, it shucks quick and breaks open cleanly. The fit and finish on this gun is, IMO, better than any other in its price range.

LL

I have been in CAS now for 5 years and started with 2 stoeger supreme coach guns slicked up and tuned, one by the late great Goatneck Clem and one by me, I have had to replace the firing pins in one ( 20 minute job) other than that they have  run great. They are set up so close to each other I can’t tell any difference in them, I have put a ton of shotgun shells through them in both practice and matches and they are still going strong, lots of great advice above by guys a lot more experienced than myself but for sure I’m a Stoeger man.  SCJ

I have been in CAS now for 5 years and started with 2 stoeger supreme coach guns slicked up and tuned, one by the late great Goatneck Clem and one by me, I have had to replace the firing pins in one ( 20 minute job) other than that they have  run great. They are set up so close to each other I can’t tell any difference in them, I have put a ton of shotgun shells through them in both practice and matches and they are still going strong, lots of great advice above by guys a lot more experienced than myself but for sure I’m a Stoeger man.  SCJ

Thanks Silver Creek Jack!

Double triggers. Stoeger, I have 2. I’ll always had good luck with Stoegers and I always go right back to them!

+1 

I have only been in Cowboy Acton Shooting for 10 years now .

I bought two Stoegers when I started .

One for a main gun one for a back up gun .

I have Never needed my back up gun yet. 

I have loaned it out two or three times to other Pards who did not have a back up .

As far as one or two triggers go .

I always liked shotguns with two triggers and No enursha involved. 

Triggers always work .

They Work for me anyways.

Rooster 

+1 

I have only been in Cowboy Acton Shooting for 10 years now .

I bought two Stoegers when I started .

One for a main gun one for a back up gun .

I have Never needed my back up gun yet. 

I have loaned it out two or three times to other Pards who did not have a back up .

As far as one or two triggers go .

I always liked shotguns with two triggers and No enursha involved. 

Triggers always work .

They Work for me anyways.

Rooster 

Rooster,

Do you have the Supreme or regular coach gun?

Thanks!

Archived