SASS Wire Forum

A Conundrum - Could Use Some Advice

Calamity Kris

I have had an email address for decades, literally.   It is first.last @xyz.com.  A young lady in another state has the same first and last name as I and has started using firstlast@xyz.com.  Well, I'm receiving lots of her email now.  I'm also receiving things like lab results from doctors appointments {HIPAA violation}, I know her credit score from her attempt at purchasing a car, {Truth in Lending violation} and what her grades are in nursing school.  What can/should I do about this?  When I started receiving these emails, I would reply all and let them know they have the wrong person.  I even replied to her study group for school, thinking they would tell her I responded.  No avail.  I have resorted to notifying all the businesses sending her email that I am not the intended recipient.   I am even unsubscribing from sites sending her offers for goods and services. 

The latest is she ordered Chinese food for pick up a couple of nights ago so I now have her phone number.  If I attempt to text her and ask her to cease, that could be considered harassment. 

Any thoughts?

What Joe sez.  Not harrassment at all ~ just advise her of the situation and suggest she find a more unique email address.

Or change your email to "original[dot]calamity[dot]kris@xyzwhatever..."  :)

Now... where have we seen that done before...  :rolleyes:

if she hasn't detected a problem by now (she's not getting emails) it's on her. Do not contact her, this is not your affair or problem. You could very well be opening a can of worms. Run as fast as you can. The best thing to do is mark her emails as spam. Then they'll stop.

31 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Or change your email to "original[dot]calamity[dot]kris@xyzwhatever..."  :)

Ask yourself,  'How do I feel about updating my email status?'

After having the same email address and/or provider for decades, you might like freshening things up a bit.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Change your email address ASAP and update it on everything by COB Tuesday. Make sure it is unique.

If you are getting her emails she may be getting yours.

Changing an email address you’ve had for years can be problematic.

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not as problematic as identity theft. 

Having someone’s e mail address is not tantamount to identify theft though.

Literally hundreds of people have mine.

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Having someone’s e mail address is not tantamount to identify theft though.

Literally hundreds of people have mine.

Similar names. Lots of personal information and the other person seems oblivious to it all.  Something doesn't seem kosher to me.

I would certainly be careful

One of my emails is first.last@gmail.com  - however, it works without the period between the first and last name too. Including logging into Google. 

I don't know about your email provider, but in the very least, turn on two factor security if you can.

Otherwise, a friendly call or email telling this person what's going on is neighborly. 

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Email her.  Explain what is happening.  

How can she email her?   Won't the email be delivered back to the sender..... :wacko:

If you are lucky, you might get her email from the UK stating that she has won

$830,000 US dollars and all you have to do is call Dirk Hobnocher at the British

Embassy to claim your winnings.

..........Widder

22 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

How can she email her?   Won't the email be delivered back to the sender

Maybe, maybe not.  "first.last @xyz.com.  A young lady in another state has the same first and last name as I and has started using firstlast@xyz.com"  My guess is that some places are putting the '(dot)" between the first and last name out of habit.

I would email her. Let he know what is happening. Everything on the internet is not a scam and everyone is not out to shaft everyone else. 

Look at it this way, wouldn't you appreciate a heads up if you had an issue like that?

If things get squirrelly turn her butt into the cops and the feds and move on.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Maybe, maybe not.  "first.last @xyz.com.  A young lady in another state has the same first and last name as I and has started using firstlast@xyz.com"  My guess is that some places are putting the '(dot)" between the first and last name out of habit.

I have tried emailing her a couple of times.  The messages just bounce back to me.  Her messages are coming to me without the dot so I'm guessing the email service can't tell the difference between us and sends them to me.

Who is your email service?  If it's google then they ignore the dots and would not have let her setup an address without the dot. 

That means the only way this is an honest mistake is if she's accidentally using the wrong provider (for instance @yahoo.com instead of @gmail.com)  I'd do an internet search on the number you have and if it looks legit maybe send her a text explaining that you're getting her emails. 

The only other option is that you live a double life with an alternate personality who goes to the doctor regularly and attends college.  Do you feel tired a lot? 

For a while I was getting emails for someone who has the same email as me except she was missing the G in the middle.  I forget how I figured it out but I exchanged a couple of emails with her and they stopped.  I was bummed out because she had a picture on her profile and she looked cute. 

Archived