SASS Wire Forum

45 Schofield - reloading stepchild?

Captain Clark

So there has been lots of load data posted the last few days for the "traditional" cowboys rounds, so what works for the forgotten 45 caliber case....Schofield.

I'm currently loading 45 Schofield with BP subs and am comfortable with it in my pistols. The 180 gr bullet weight have worked well with BlackMZ / APP for me. 

What is the camps experience with smokeless loads?

Any suggestions?

I have a 16" trapper '73 in 45 Colt.  It does hold ten rounds of 45 Colt but barely, so I finally switched to 45 S&W to make it easier to load the gun.   As I primarily use this gun for Wild Bunch, the load is a little peppier to meet power factor.  

4.8gr 231 and a 250gr bullet.  This is the middle of Hodgdon's load range.

The same powder charge is used under a 230gr RN in my 45acp Wild Bunch load, so I don't have to change the powder measure setting.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:40 AM, Captain Clark said:

the forgotten 45 caliber case....Schofield.

Heck more people remember the Schofield than the .45 GAP.... or at least will admit to it. ;)

Back in 2000 I sent an inquiry to Alliant regarding the use of Unique for .45 Schofield (no published data at that time).

Received the following information:

BULLET                start     velocity    max  velocity
200gr cast lead RNFP - 5.8gr = 675fps --- 6.3gr =730fps
230gr cast lead RNFP - 5.5gr = 690fps --- 6.0gr =730fps

When I use my OMV 's I only ever use Schofield cases, I tried all  different bullets but settled on the 160 grain RNFP.

In Australia  I use AS30 which is your clay's [ very similar to Red Dot ], using Federal primers & 4. 2 grains  they average around 600fps & power factor of  around 90..great to shoot, never have a problem. For the shooting we do  IMHO they are perfect..YMMV

Before I got way-layed , I'd worked up some .45 Schofield loads for my (Original) Vaqueros, using 165, 180, and 200 gr cast ( with blue lube, some with Moly ) that shot as soft as my .38 s  ( Yes , they had a bit more bullet weight, so the lead was still more expensive ) with FAR less powder than the .45 Colt cases required for consistent ignition and velocity. The light bullets were WAY below where the sights ( regulated for heavier bullets ) pointed, though.

Sorry

I only load 45 Schofield with the J/P 45-200 bullet and Black Powder.

1.9CC, about 28.4 grains of Schuetzen FFg.

45ScofieldComponents_zps41fac52a.jpg

55 minutes ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

Question about Schofield loading...does it still use the same shell plates as Long Colt and are they more accurate than the cowboy special?

No on the shell plate, as the Schofield has a larger diameter rim than the 45 Colt.  Can't comment on accuracy, although for CAS use I doubt it would matter much.

+1 on what Abilene said. I cant see any difference regarding accuracy between the 3 cartridges when loaded for CAS velocities. 

3 hours ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

Question about Schofield loading...does it still use the same shell plates as Long Colt and are they more accurate than the cowboy special?

With my Dillon 650, I use the same Shell Plate as I do with both the .45 Cowboy Special and the .45 Schofield.

I started using the .45 Schofield with a 200 grain bullet with 6.2 grains of HP-38/W231 but have backed it down to 5.6 grains.

Maybe not all shell plates are created equal :)

With my Lee Turret I use the same shell holder for 45S&W as 44-40.  Not at home now so not sure of the holder number.

5 hours ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

On the Hornady L-N-L AP, the underside of the mouth of the .45 Colt shell plate is marginally too narrow to admit the Schofield case. It takes just a quick pass with a hand file to knock off the sharp corners, and the Schofields will slide right in. I have no experience with the Specials.

CS

1 hour ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

With my Dillon 650, I use the same Shell Plate as I do with both the .45 Cowboy Special and the .45 Schofield.

I started using the .45 Schofield with a 200 grain bullet with 6.2 grains of HP-38/W231 but have backed it down to 5.6 grains.

Well this was the answer I was seeking. 

As far as accuracy, doesn't anyone load develop on paper targets? I'm looking at the 25 yard accuracy between loads. 

2 hours ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

On the Hornady L-N-L AP, the underside of the mouth of the .45 Colt shell plate is marginally too narrow to admit the Schofield case. It takes just a quick pass with a hand file to knock off the sharp corners, and the Schofields will slide right in. I have no experience with the Specials.

Nominally 45 Schofield rims are larger in diameter than 45 Colt rims. .520 vs .512 if memory serves. 45 Schofield rims absolutely will not fit in my Hornady 45 Colt shell plate. I use a 45 Schofield shell plate.

Different brands may vary.

As far as taking a file to the 45 Colt shell plate is concerned, I don't know what yours are made of, but mine are super hard and a file will not touch them. Grinding maybe, but not a file.

Interesting - are you using the #32 shell plate for the Hornady progressive press? I was set up for .45 Colt, and wanted to experiment with the Schofields. I played around with it a bit, and by inserting the Schofield case from the bottom of the plate, discovered that the rim fit well in the recess, but wouldn't slide past the necked-down area just inside of the mouth of the slot. By slightly relieving the tight spot, I was able to use the #32 plate. This was done about two years ago, and I do remember taking a file to it, but it is possible that I wound up resorting to the infamous Dremel sanding drum to finish. The modified plate will work with both the .45 Colt and the Schofield cases, but this spring, I did get another (unmodified) #32 plate that I keep with the .45 Colt dies.

Yes, I use the #32 shell plate for 45 Colt. I have a few Starline Schofield cases in hand, and they do not fit up into the recess at all.

Anyway, when I started loading 45 Schofield I went ahead and bought the #41 shell plate for 45 Schofield.

I use a set of Hornady 45 Colt dies to load Schofields. I keep the dies set up for the Schofield round.

Schofield%20Dies_zpslfa1made.jpg

On 10/13/2018 at 6:59 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Back in 2000 I sent an inquiry to Alliant regarding the use of Unique for .45 Schofield (no published data at that time).

Received the following information:

Unique is the Smokeless ( Black Powder )  equivalent .

Unique can load just about anything .

Some better then others .

As long as you are NOT trying to make supper hot magnums .

Unique will do it .

Your mileage my vary ,

But Unique woks for Me for about everything . 

Rooster 

Archived