SASS Wire Forum

License plate ridiculousness...

Three Foot Johnson

Wow. I thought Colorado was bad with over a hundred.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/node/40131/

CA seems downright reasonable, only a few dozen (counting the plates with the logos for Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard as just one variant).  The most popular?  The "'60s Throwback" plate.   Classic black with yellow characters:

Image result for how many specialty plates does california have

Howdy,

I went out to Illinois plates and decided I never need to go there again.

I heard Illinois recently dropped a number of special plates due to confusion

about so many having the same number, just different plate.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Grass Range #51406 said:

And no one will answer the question weather or not this costs the taxpayer or makes us a profit

Montana plates are still made at the state penitentiary, so labor costs obviously haven't gone up. The plate shop has undergone some upgrades over the years, so there have been some increased technological costs, but overall, it must certainly be cheaper than a private sector contractor.

1 hour ago, Red Eye Jim said:

And all those plates drive the state patrol officers nuts, I'm sure.

Not really. They’re all in the computer database. It’s the fake Driver Licenses that are a pain. That’s why the states are trying to make more high tech licenses with chips etc these days.

The "vanity" plates in Tennessee are $50.00 extra with that money going to the general fund.  Some of the specialty plates like veteran plates and those plates issued for certain "acceptable" causes have a set aside that diverts a small portion of the fee to the organization or charity represented.  We have plates that honor all of the Southeastern Conference schools as well as other Tennessee universities as well.  The total for the plates I buy for Ol' Green and my rat rod cost $118.00 after all of the fees are collected.  This also includes a county wheel tax.

In 1992 I applied for a personalized license plate IM4 NRA through the AAA of Southern California and it got rejected as not politically correct. The statute doesn’t say anything about politically correctness being a qualifier it says it must be in good taste. Well that really P’d me off so a lawyer friend of mine, who is deceased now, told me that for $250.00 he’d get me that personalized plate. I paid him and two letters by him later I got my plate. Since I got it it has been transferred to three other vehicles with no problems until I bought my new truck in 2016. The DMV refused to transfer the IM4 NRA license plate. I really didn’t want to pay another lawyer to get me a personalized plate so I didn’t push it, but it still pi$$3$ me off.

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

In 1992 I applied for a personalized license plate IM4 NRA through the AAA of Southern California and it got rejected as not politically correct. The statute doesn’t say anything about politically correctness being a qualifier it says it must be in good taste. Well that really P’d me off so a lawyer friend of mine, who is deceased now, told me that for $250.00 he’d get me that personalized plate. I paid him and two letters by him later I got my plate. Since I got it it has been transferred to three other vehicles with no problems until I bought my new truck in 2016. The DMV refused to transfer the IM4 NRA license plate. I really didn’t want to pay another lawyer to get me a personalized plate so I didn’t push it, but it still pi$$3$ me off.

California has the weirdest “Censors” for license plates. I never would pay extra for a plate until I got my 2002 Chevy ZR2 then I wanted my alias on the plate. Well, PAT RIOT wasn’t available. Long story short I ended up with PAT RYUT. I eventually found out that there were no plates with PATROIT or PAT RIOT in the state. They wouldn't allow it because it might be offensive or demeaning. Seriously? 

Now I will I’ll not pay extra for a “vanity” plate anywhere. They don’t need my money to build their empires of stupidity.

MA has Cape and Island plates, raising money to benefit conservation efforts and economic development on Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.  When they first became available, I ordered one for my wife.  The plate has two letters, one above the other -  "C" over "I", followed by 3 or 4 digits.  When they ran out of possible combinations, they started a second run, inverting the "CI" to "IC".  Last year, they had an auction of low number IC plates; I bid on one, and Mrs. LL and I now have matching number plates - hers with CI and mine with IC, followed by the same 3 digits.

Pure vanity - but neat.

LL

Years ago a friend of mine had 2 cars. The plate on one said POON and the other one was TANG. He'd park the cars side by side in the driveway. It took them a few years but the DMV finally figured it out and wouldn't renew them.

I had a Jeep in VA and also one in GA. I had the same personalized plate on each  one.

People would stop me at Red Lights and ask what it meant!   "IV by IV"  simple to me and a lot of fun!   Cheers   Hoss C.

I used to work with a broad (her preferred word by the way) back when I did phone support (before the jobs got shipped to India) who's license plate read:

68NOU1

(If you can't figure it out, read each letter as a word...)

Archived