SASS Wire Forum

diabetic friendly snacks

Trigger Mike

I fought off diabetes a couple of years ago with better diet and exercise, but now I am losing the battle.  The dr prescribed farciga that used the kidney every hour so i stopped taking it, lost 15 pounds by walking and diet but the diabetes is not going away this time.  Last night around midnight while checking out the well and a previously broken faucet in the field and trying to get the cat out of the garage i got stressed when the car about got away from me and almost ran over me thinking it was in park.  this greatly altered my sugar.  I checked it and it was 170.  I got some cheese and a few swallows of grape juice and after 30 minutes it was 231.  I broke down and took the farciga to control it.  

What is a better snack to get the sugar level like it should be?  

Alot depends on YOUR sugar levels and how you feel , only a diabetic know when they are low or high, Do you carry glucose tabs or oral glucose ?

If not always ask your Dr. As what will be best for you, 

next question are you Insulin dependant ?

if so the dr might change your type and or units, If not and you only take pills they might consider changing the type or incresaing or decreasing the type.

Bottom line ask your Dr.

Take care 

My wife is on a 0 carb lifestyle for about the last 5 years so I can probably help out.  Meat and cheese is always good, vegetables usually are, but you gotta be careful of fruits.  Recently I found some baked parmesean at sams club that scratches my tater chip itch.  I've heard tell that cooked tomatoes will lower sugar.  Best way is to actually just grill them with some mushrooms and zucchini or whatever else ya like.  Peanut butter is also a good snack as long as it's got no sugar added.  Any kinda nut works too. 

I can't handle sugar substitutes so I steer clear of diet drinks. I do not drink fruit juices of any kind.

I drink lightly sweetened iced tea, coffee and water. That's it. I may have a Pepsi maybe once a month. By lightly sweetened I mean real sugar but not much. 1/4 - 1/2 cup per gallon of tea.  That may be too much in your case.

For snacks I stick with fruit, nuts and complex carbs. By complex carbs I mean whole grains and multi grains. Clif bars, Kind bars, Larabars (if you like figs). Remember,  just because something says "whole grains" it doesn't mean it's got complex carbs. If it's made by a large food processing business it more than likely isn't "complex carbs".  Almonds are a great snack. Beef Jerky is also a good snack.

One thing I learned about diet and diabetes. Do not look at the food you have to eat as "punishment". If you do that you have lost half your battle already. Look at it as a challenge to kick Diabetes %$# (butt). 

I was 300 pounds and at one point I was down to 208 pounds. I had my accident in July and gained weight while healing and haven't quite gotten back on my feet since, I am down from another foot surgery but once I am done with this go around I am back on my exercise and diet regimen again. Being idle has helped (not good help) me gain over 30 pounds back but my A1C is at 5.5 and my sugar levels are good.

I would see a Nutritionist for some helpful info on snacks and what you should be eating.  

thanks all.  I have been feeling bad all day and just got some new test strips and now it is 293.  I just downed some apple juice and a cheese still and an hour ago drank black coffee and went out to do an outside chore so was surprised the sugar went to 293.  maybe the apple juice and cheese will help.  i too drink unsweet to barely sweet tea, black coffee most mornings after breakfast.  I don't mind heart trouble near as bad as I mind diabetes after seeing lots of blind, deaf, unable to walk folks . since the opposite of diabetes runs in the family I wonder how much of this is related to things the army gave us before going to Iraq like the nerve agent antidote pills and anthrax vaccine.  

Sorta confused adding carbs when bgl is 293 does not seem the way to go.  Farxgia works well but as with all medications must be taken as ordered.

I like to say avoid the white  death ie. flour, sugar and potatoes.   A low carb diet and exercise are very important.  A regular schedule of testing is important too.  Keeping accurate records of your readings and any differences in your routine should be maintained.  I have been on insulin and did well on Farxgia after going off insulin.  I lost 15lbs but that is not unusual with any drugs in this class.  It is a struggle but once in a good routine and you know your bodies signs you will do well .

I would start by not drinking fruit juices. They are the best thing to ingest when you have low blood sugar for a fast pick me up. So that makes them one of the worst things to ingest when trying to reduce your blood sugar.

V-8??? Nuts, pumpkin seeds, sugar free candy bars?? There's tons of sugar free foods on the market!

i too can tell when i am eating something with fake sugar.  real sugar but in low amounts is fine but fake sugar makes me jittery .  I got up to 293 but then took my 6 year old on our row boat and walked and got to feeling better but after a while my feet hurt and felt tingly.  supper was chili with cornbread but i limited the bread part and ate a pepperoni wrapped around cheese and an orange and milk and seem to be feeling ok.  i will take farciga regularly.  i wonder if the antibiotic i am taking because i almost had strep throat may be changing the sugar right now.  I try to drink more black coffee and unsweetened tea to also offset my sugar levels and drink 16 swallows of water before bed(8 before brushing my teeth and 8 afterwards) to keep the sugar at bay while resting .  i did to like the feeling of 170 then 231 at midnight until 230 at all.  

I don't know if this will help you but I won't give up sweetener in some things. I use Stevia Sweet Leaf (not to be confused with all the other Stevia products) in my coffee along with heavy cream. No sugar spike what so ever, not a blip. I like non-dairy creamer but it was a 50-80 point spike for one morning cup. I also use it in recipes calling for sugar. No funky after taste, to me anyway.

Monk fruit sweetener is another good one for some diabetics, I don't care for the taste it leaves me.

Summer sausages, hard cheeses, boiled eggs are my normal snacks. They have helped reduce my test results on many occasions.

YMMV  

47 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

i too can tell when i am eating something with fake sugar.  real sugar but in low amounts is fine but fake sugar makes me jittery .  I got up to 293 but then took my 6 year old on our row boat and walked and got to feeling better but after a while my feet hurt and felt tingly.  supper was chili with cornbread but i limited the bread part and ate a pepperoni wrapped around cheese and an orange and milk and seem to be feeling ok.  i will take farciga regularly.  i wonder if the antibiotic i am taking because i almost had strep throat may be changing the sugar right now.  I try to drink more black coffee and unsweetened tea to also offset my sugar levels and drink 16 swallows of water before bed(8 before brushing my teeth and 8 afterwards) to keep the sugar at bay while resting .  i did to like the feeling of 170 then 231 at midnight until 230 at all.  

Any time you are sick it will spike your numbers

Not a doctor and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately but I have a relative that takes powdered bay leaves to control is diabetes in combination with his diet.

He still monitors his glucose levels with a meter but hasn't taken any prescription diabetes meds in years.

Here is a link to a trial study conducted on real people on the positive effects it has on glucose and cholesterol levels.

Bay Leaves Improve Glucose and Lipid Profile of People with Type 2 Diabetes

I generally eat a high protein low carb diet.  My doc used to work with Dr. Atkins so she's very favorable of his theories.  Protein bars, check the label because they vary in sugar content.  Some have the higher protein to make the label statement but still have all the sugar/carbs.  I use a low carb wrap to make a sandwich.  

I just started Lantus a few weeks ago and that seems to be working well.  I too once was on diet control after loosing weight but that was a long time ago.

No fruit juice.  In EMS we treat low blood sugar with fruit juice, it is great at raising sugar level.  

Some 10 year back I went to see the doctor to get antibiotics for an infection only men can get.  My A1c came back elevated but within range.  I was immediately diagnosed as a diabetic and the DR prescribed metformin. I didn't take it.  I came back in a couple of months for a follow-up exam and my A1c was normal.   The DR just said "hump?"  But now I'm a diabetic for life. The insurance company sends me crap on how to control my blood sugar levels.  The hospital and Dr office sends me notices to get regular exams. 

I do regularly check my blood sugar levels with test strips. I've learned more protein,  less carbs, loose weight,  works. 

finally got my sugar back below 200 today to 186.  been focusing heavier on nuts etc and less juice.  trying to get the wife to cook more healthy , had been trying to for a while anyway.  

took my daughters to chik-fil-a after school and tractor supply to get myself some chicken nuggets and one of them got a strawberry shake.  I managed to just get 3 sips but boy were they good.  the chicken helped .  i have found that chicken really helps my sugar.  

I use Bydureon 2mg on a nine day rotation. I take Jardiance as needed to totally regulate my blood sugar. The Bydureon is actually intended for once a week, but I’ve found that the 9 days works for me. I avoid sugar to a certain extent, but more so, I avoid ANYTHING with corn syrup for sweetener!! I found Coca Cola Life in the green cans and bottles! It has real sugar in reduced quantity and stevia. It’s lower in calories and the body processes real sugar much better than corn syrup! Substituting that for regular Coke and drinking fewer of them lowered my sugar number an average of 30 points. Losing weight (30 lbs) and avoiding white bread, reducing corn and potatoes, and drinking more water has me at 6.0 to 6.2 on my A1c and my morning test is usually 115 to 135.

I can “violate parole” on occasion and treat myself to something decadent without worrying about it!

If I can drop another 15 or 20 pounds, I MAY be able to get off the rest of the meds too. All of this has lowered my cholesterol a bunch too!

Unless your blood sugar drops below 100, stay away from drinking juice, it's loaded with sugar!

High protein snacks are your friends...

Peanuts

Peanut butter

Tree nuts

No fat Greek yogurt

Special K (regular) cereal

Cheese

Hard boiled eggs

I am not a doc but you are doing it wrong.

when your sugar is high do not eat fruits, they contain lots of sugar.

the only time you should eat something like fruit (contains sugar) would be if your blood sugar read below 80.

please talk to your diabetic doc about this.

ask him to set you up with a dietician to help you know what to eat.

5 hours ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

I am not a doc but you are doing it wrong.

when your sugar is high do not eat fruits, they contain lots of sugar.

the only time you should eat something like fruit (contains sugar) would be if your blood sugar read below 80.

please talk to your diabetic doc about this.

ask him to set you up with a dietician to help you know what to eat.

THIS!  Trigger Mike, please follow this advise.

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

finally got my sugar back below 200 today to 186.  been focusing heavier on nuts etc and less juice.  trying to get the wife to cook more healthy , had been trying to for a while anyway.  

took my daughters to chik-fil-a after school and tractor supply to get myself some chicken nuggets and one of them got a strawberry shake.  I managed to just get 3 sips but boy were they good.  the chicken helped .  i have found that chicken really helps my sugar.  

Good diet starts at the grocery store.  2/3s of the crap in the grocery store is not good for anyone.   If it's up front,  in an middle isle display or at checkout,  pass it up.  If it had corn sugar in it, pass it up.  If you don't bring it home, you won't be tempted to eat it. 

You're supposed to check your blood sugar 2 hours after you eat, not 30 minutes after.  30 minutes after you eat will almost always show a blood sugar spike.  Allow 2 hours for you body to process the sugar you have ingested.  And lay off the juices!  8 ounces of Welchs Grape Juice has 45 grams of carbs, almost the amount of carbs you should consume in a day.  IIRC when I was diagnosed, they told me keep carb intake to 60 grams per day. 

My mom lived with diabetes for 40+ years. (She was 80 when she passed) She took a pill, Diabinese (?), and followed her doctor's diet. Nothing against anyone here giving you advice but follow what your doctor says and you should be fine!;) Ask him/her about snacks

I've not been impressed with my doctor visits. Get to office 30 minutes ahead of appointment time as requested to check in.  Wait 2 hours past my appointment time to be taken to an examination room where nurset/technician took my vitals and interviewed me.  I wait another 30 minutes for the doctor to bustle into the room and say hi and pick up my documentation.  He puts the stethoscope up to my shirt - it didn't compress enough to really feel it against me and he didn't hold it there long enough to record a heartbeat anyway.   He said I was doing fine.  I asked if there was anything else I should be doing or if we need to change medication.  His replay was, "No, just keep doing what you're doing. See you in 6 months.".  He left and I looked at the clock on the wall.  Three minutes. 

This was not an isolated incident, but a typical visit.  I changed doctors.  I like him better and get more interaction time at least. 

Educate yourself so you can understand the prescriptions and test results and question your doctor.  You know a lot more about you than the doctor. 

21 hours ago, Mo Likka said:

And lay off the juices!  8 ounces of Welchs Grape Juice has 45 grams of carbs, almost the amount of carbs you should consume in a day. 

Not to mention, Welch’s grape juice contains 36 grams of SUGAR per serving!

4 grams of sugar is equal to 1 teaspoon. 

Drinking an 8 ounce glass of Welch’s grape juice is the same as ingesting 9 TEASPOONS OF SUGAR!

Archived