SASS Wire Forum

Spotting Scopes

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

I've acquired a couple of rifles that I'd like to do some long distance shooting (iron sights) which for me is 100-300 yds. I don't have a spotting scope and obviously need one.

Prices are all over the map. My budget is under $500, and would prefer to find something substantially less if possible. I just need an image clear enough to see bullet strikes/holes in paper at 100-300 yards. Recommendations are appreciated.

You are fortunate to have 2 Bushnell Factory Outlets In metro KC.  I bet they can accommodate you.  And if not they are fun to visit anyway! :D

I love my Leupold, but I bought it decades ago before it got out of your budget.

In your price range the lower end Celestron and Konus might work, depends on what caliber holes you're punching. I shot High Power for decades and have been through a few spotting scopes. Although I do kind of giggle at 200 or 300 yards being referred to as long range, in High Power those are short range and we shot 200 yards offhand with irons, long begins at 600.

Assuming standard black and buff targets-
Just about any spotting scope over $100 can reliably pick up .30 holes at 100 yards, most in the $200 and up price range will reliably pick up .22 holes at 100 yards.
At 200 yards scopes under $250 can have trouble with .30 holes if the light isn't perfect.
At 300 yards for .22 and .30 holes even the $800 Kowas and the higher end Celestrons can have problems in less than perfect light.

If you're using the Shoot 'n See type targets scopes in the $250-$500 price range should be adequate to 300 yards except in the worst lighting conditions. If you're poking holes .45 or larger you might be okay with a $250-$300 scope.

Objective size matters as much as power, bigger objectives gather more light and have a larger sweetspot with less chromatic aberration in the middle of the lens. A large part of what you're paying for in the high end scopes is eliminating that aberration. Make sure you also get a scope that has a sunshade for the objective, you'll need it at some point. I'd say 60mm objective minimum but be aware 80mm can get cumbersome fast.

With Sun glare-ED lens coatings are a great choice.

This is the scope I use.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917619-REG/celestron_52305_regal_m2_80ed_spotting.html

X2 on a good t-pod!

I have been using this bench mount for many years.

https://www.sinclairintl.com/optics/spotting-scopes/sinclair-bench-mount-scope-stand-prod37923.aspx

1 hour ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

IAlthough I do kind of giggle at 200 or 300 yards being referred to as long range, in High Power those are short range and we shot 200 yards offhand with irons, long begins at 600.

Dunno how old you are and/or what your vision correction might be, but I have to make a choice between seeing the iron sights of the gun or the target. Peep sights can do only so much. Besides, as a CAS shooter these days, anything beyond 25 yards is considered long range!  :P

26 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Dunno how old you are and/or what your vision correction might be, but I have to make a choice between seeing the iron sights of the gun or the target. Peep sights can do only so much. Besides, as a CAS shooter these days, anything beyond 25 yards is considered long range!  :P

Now 58 and I gave up the irons and High Power 2 years ago, mostly due to arthritis in the left shoulder, elbow and wrist. Vision in my right eye is -6.75 with a pretty bad astigmatism; I got around that with a Microsight insert in the rear aperture for the last 5 years of shooting High Power. I decided to shoot cowboy as my new shooting game because of that. I was also jerking your chain just a little. ;)

Anyway, I hope the info I posted helps a bit in selecting a spotting scope.

buy the best you can afford , as in scopes the glass is only as good as your investment , as always one needs to evaluate the amount of use and actual need , i buy good scopes hoping not to need the spotter beyond the barska i bought 15 years ago , but i dont get to use them often enough to preach either very loudly 

6 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

And don't skimp on the tripod.  Flimsy tripods are nothing but irritating.

Here is some excellent advice!   For scopes Burris builds some surprisingly excellent spotting scopes at very reasonable prices.

Howdy,

I have a couple scopes gathering dust.

At one time I was going out west shootin varmints at

very long ranges.

One help is not using targets with black bullseye.

A black hole in a black area is very hard to see or score.

Another help is having exact as possible distance to target.

I designed my own targets and had a local printshop make

a batch for a minimum cost.

Leave a corner for info so you can keep a folder of targets

and notes help as life will interfere with your project.

Folks talk about hundreds of yards like its nothing.

Well, if you shoot at 100 for years, 400 is like amazing

when adjusting for that distance.

A new range was supposed to be 1000 yards, but its

'only' 600.  Well if you have been shooting 50 or 100,

shooting 600 is like shooting to Mars.

If you want to shoot well at 200 yards, try shooting 400 or 600.

Then 200 seems easy.

When I was in, we shot 500 yard targets with iron sights on M-14s.

We all did. Its doable.

Good luck.

Best

CR

I hate to come in late, but Midway USA is clearing out Redfield Rampage 20-60 spotting scopes for about $150.  I paid about $200 when I bought mine.  It is perfect for your use although the other scopes mentioned are probably better quality.  You would probably need a better tripod.

If you can afford it the Vortex Razor scopes are very good. I have an ancient Swift that is better than most modern scopes in the $300 range. I use it a lot out to 400yds. I have a Redfield as just mentioned. OK, but I almost never use it. Loan it out a lot. I also have an 80mm Cabellas special. About like the Redfield. Another loaner for me. I use a Nikon with the military Horus reticle most of the time since it matches the scope reticles.  For real long range (1500meters and up) I use a Celestron 6" astronomical scope.  Power is NOT your friend. We mostly use 25-30X. Helps with mirage. Anything over 45 is a waste.  You need resolution, not magnification at distance.

Thnx Bart Solo for the Redfield tip, I was looking  for a 100yd lightweight range scope & this will fit the bill!

2 hours ago, Bart Solo said:

I hate to come in late, but Midway USA is clearing out Redfield Rampage 20-60 spotting scopes for about $150.  I paid about $200 when I bought mine.  It is perfect for your use although the other scopes mentioned are probably better quality.  You would probably need a better tripod.

Archived