SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootist of the Year 2017 nominations

26 minutes ago, Dragon Hill Dave #59561 said:

Thanks Tex. Tom Payne is already recognized as a true Classic Cowboy, because he is a member of the Magnificent Seven! And having shot with him last year, I agree with your assessment. The other current members of the Magnificent Seven are Solicitor General, Hot Tamale, Needmore Gunz,  Serenity and myself. Texas Ghost, Brother King, T-Bone Dooley, and Vance Montana are emeritus members.

Thanks, Dave.  Why does that not surprise me?  In that case I will change my nomination to Travis Spencer.  I was going to nominate Serenity, but don't have to now.  Don't know many classic cowgirls, unfortunately.

17 hours ago, Kirk James said:

We would third, fourth and fifth the nomination of Augustus Goodnight for Classic Cowboy.  He is an example of the "Cowboy Way".

Coming from you, Cody James, and SASS kicker, that says a lot.  You guys have been great examples of the cowboy way since I met you

Thanks for the nomination and kudos guys.:blush:

I'd like to nominate the nicest curmudgeon I know, Garrison Joe.....:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 5:52 AM, Gawd Awful said:

I must suggest Augustus Goodnight.

the man was living classic cowboy before he knew what SASS was. When he found out about sass, he grabbed the saddle rifle he already owned (a uberti 73 in 45) and his existing TTN, got a pair of Vaqueros (he already carried one daily) and came to join us.

He's always ready to help a new shooter, or a club. Has stepped up and joined the Board of one of the largest clubs in AZ. The man is always ready to do anything he can to help friends.

And he shows up to matches in his horse trailer.  You don't really get more "Cowboy" than Gus, and he's a true Classic gentleman 

+1

I  would like to nominate Chili Pepper Kid. He is very much a classic Cowboy on & off the Range! From making Cowboy coffee at the range before everyone else gets there, to offering use on one of his many pipes after a shoot for a sweet smoke to calm your nerves when the shooting is done for the day. Not to mention his is one of the best spotters we have in our sport. He makes a great posse Marshall and leads by example. His only problem is he lives in Iowa... a fly over state. But he has been traveling the plains around here for many years! We  consider him one of the finest Cowboys we have ever met! I did say finest not the fastest!  

9 hours ago, Memphis Raines said:

I  would like to nominate Chili Pepper Kid. He is very much a classic Cowboy on & off the Range! From making Cowboy coffee at the range before everyone else gets there, to offering use on one of his many pipes after a shoot for a sweet smoke to calm your nerves when the shooting is done for the day. Not to mention his is one of the best spotters we have in our sport. He makes a great posse Marshall and leads by example. His only problem is he lives in Iowa... a fly over state. But he has been traveling the plains around here for many years! We  consider him one of the finest Cowboys we have ever met! I did say finest not the fastest!  

Oh Chili Pepper Kid, only shot with him once... He was such a hoot! 

• 2 weeks later...

Nominations close on Sunday September 10th. --last chance to nominate someone or say a good word about one already nominated!

Here is where we are:

For Classic Cowboy Shootist of the Year:

Chile Pepper Kid

Dantakerous

Major Art Tillery

Holy Rider

Badge Pusher

Travis Spencer

Augustus Goodnight

High Plains Hud

Blackwater Bruce

Stirrup Trouble

Garrison Joe

For Classic Cowgirl Shootist of the Year:

Lucinda Tincup

Doc Kay B May

Cayenne Kay

Last chance to add to the list!

On 7/9/2017 at 1:30 PM, Dragon Hill Dave #59561 said:

It is time again for you to nominate your favorite Classic Cowboy and Cowgirl for the Classic Cowboy Shootist of the Year and the Classic Cowgirl Shootist of the Year awards. We have had some fine winners and nominees over the years, and the Magnificent Seven want to continue the tradition. So give some thought to the cowboy and cowgirl who shoots the big bore guns, handles that hammered or lever shotgun with style, and dresses like a classic cowboy or cowgirl should. They don’t have to be the fastest or the showiest, they just have to have shown that they are willin’.

Post your nomination in reply to this post. Give us some insight on their contributions to the category and the sport and why you think they should be one of our honorees. The Magnificent Seven will consider the nominations and announce their decision in the Fall with a presentation of the awards at Winter Range.

As a reminder, here are our past Honorees:

2010: T-Bone Dooley

2011: Lefty Henderson- Shotglass 

2012: RJ Law-Bella Spencer

2013: Big Six Henderson- Hot Tamale 

2014: GW Ryder- Squawty Bawdy

2015: Doc Baker- Serenity

2016: The Tonic Kid- Marie Laveau

In that case I second what Flint N Steele said about Cayenne Kay.....I'm not sure exactly what the criteria is for this award, but if sweetness and generosity have anything to do with it you won't find a better example than Kay!  There may be faster Classic Cowgirls out there, but Cayenne Kay does pretty good with it, and does it with a lot of heart.  I can't thank her and her husband Seamus enough for all they've done for me since I moved to Ohio.   If I ever grow up (doubtful) or my guns do (even more doubtful) I wanna be just like Kay^_^

Here's my .02. Dantankerous, he is most certainly a Classic in all aspects. He indeed walks the walk. Chili Pepper, another cowpoke that has indeed immersed himself into the depths of Classic Cowboy. Major, what can I add to what Dabnankerous has already stated. (Dabnabbit!) you guys are great examples of what a classic should be. And there are others. All the names on this list rate pretty high on my cowboy-meter, but one guy really sticks out in my mind. High Plains Hud. He's a cowboy, a classic cowboy, and he gets my vote. See you fellers down the trail!

High Plains Hud is definitely deserving.

Not only is he a fine shooter and epitomizes the cowboy spirit, but every time I see him he's got a smile plastered on his face probably because he's just having so much fun. His good nature is infective and he is always the first one to congratulate you on a well shot stage or match as well as encouraging a cowboy to do the best he can but in a way that adds no pressure to said performance. His alternate alias could be Mr. Smooth, if you have never seen him shoot. :D

High Plains Hud gets a vote from me as well.

And I think Cowfolk from all across Kansas would agree with me when I say we are lucky to have HUD as a local cowboy shooter and friend.

• 2 months later...

So many great nominees. It was a hard choice for the Magnificent Seven, and I complicated matters by being out of the country for nearly 3 months. But we have winners!

Our Classic Cowboy Shootist of the Year for 2017 is Chili Pepper Kid.

Our Classic Cowgirl Shootist of the Year for 2017 is  Black Hills Barb.

We are so proud of them. We will award them  their buckles at Winter Range 2018.

2 hours ago, Dragon Hill Dave #59561 said:

So many great nominees. It was a hard choice for the Magnificent Seven, and I complicated matters by being out of the country for nearly 3 months. But we have winners!

Our Classic Cowboy Shootist of the Year for 2017 is Chili Pepper Kid.

Our Classic Cowgirl Shootist of the Year for 2017 is  Black Hills Barb.

We are so proud of them. We will award them  their buckles at Winter Range 2018.

Alright Chili Pepper Kid!!!  Way to go pard! 

Congrats to Black Hills Barb as well!  Have never shot with you but hope to down the trail sometime!

A hearty CONGRATS to the winners. Well deserved! 

:D:D:D

Congratulations Black Hills Barb and Chili pepper Kid.

Wow, I'm very honored!! Thanks to all my pards who nominated me. This has been a great day! I got a call that my Alchimista II in .45 that I ordered is in and now this. It's the best being a Classic Cowboy I never wanted to be anything else.

Now I gotta get busy and figure out how to swing Winter Range.

Congratulations Chili, you are a great representative of what a Classic Cowboy should be, as well as a great guy to shoot with.

Archived