SASS Wire Forum

Cap and Ball revolver over ball lube

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

So, I'm getting my stuff ready for the upcoming Four Corners Regional shoot in Utah. I'm shooting Senior, thought I would mix up my guns throughout the shoot. I'm goin to bring along my 1860 Army's but my bottle of Hogdon "Spit Ball" has dried up. What are you CB shooters using to seal the chambers?

I thought about Bore Butter, which I can get at the local Bass Pro Shops. Don't want to use wads.

I use the classic mixture, beeswax and crisco, 50-50.  It is a soft waxy consistency that stays manageable in 90 degree heat.

After seating all 5 balls, I take a flake of this mix, about 1.5 inches square and 1/8" thick,  and simply press it into the chamber mouth with my fingertip.  Left over lube goes back into the Altoids can for use on a future stage, finger tip gets wiped on my pants.

Pretty easy to do, and I can shoot as many stages as I want without wiping off the cylinder face (because I am actually wiping the cylinder face with my fingertip as I press the lube over the ball.)

I make the flakes by melting the beeswax and crisco in an old, small Crockpot in the garage, then pour it out on wax paper on an old cookie sheet.  After it sets up, cut it or break it into flakes and carry them in an old Altoids tin in my possibles bag.

Wads are great for improving accuracy at long ranges.  My sloppy over-the-ball technique works just fine for our usual targets.

I have used bore butter in the past.  It works to keep the arbor lubed and prevents chain fires.  But, I found it too messy, pre-lubed wads are neat, store well, and make loading a whole lot cleaner.  On very hot days, I've wondered just how much is left on the last couple chambers as one fires a stage...

I will be shooting the 4-Corners Regional too.  I hope you shoot the Plainsman with us.  I use some old, rancid Wal*Mart shortening over my balls.  If it is hot enough so that the shortening melts then I switch to pre-lubed, felt wads.  The BP shooters don't complain about the smell of the shortening.  I don't think they can smell it.

J-Bar, I've got a small Tupperware container of 50/50 left over from pan lubing, I could melt that and pour it into a smaller container. Maybe use a popsicle  stick to spread it over the chambers.

Griff, for the small amount of shooting I'll be using these at this match (maybe 2-3 stages out of 12, wads just may be the easiest way to go. I'm going to Bass Pro on Friday, I'll see what they have.

Mr. Canby, not shootin plainsman as my single shot is set up for long range, but will look you up. We're arriving on Sunday at the Willow Wind RV park. Sounds like wonder wads may be the best way to go.

I use a recipe Carlos El Hombre posted on The Open Range forum many years ago:

60% toilet seal wax mixed with 40% crisco by weight. The 60/40 is soft enough on cold days to poke into the cylinder holes and doesn't run on hot days. 

I melt 'em together in an old jar sitting in a pot of boiling water.

Cheap & easy

--Dawg

Coffinmaker,

Guess I shoulda' specified that I'm using GOEX 3f, don't use the subs, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe BPS will have some APP and I can become a convert! Simplicity may win out......

1 hour ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

So, I'm getting my stuff ready for the upcoming Four Corners Regional shoot in Utah. I'm shooting Senior, thought I would mix up my guns throughout the shoot. I'm goin to bring along my 1860 Army's but my bottle of Hogdon "Spit Ball" has dried up. What are you CB shooters using to seal the chambers?

I thought about Bore Butter, which I can get at the local Bass Pro Shops. Don't want to use wads.

I use Jared's method from the longhunter video he made. 

Mink oil shoe past ,or mink oil patch lube. Either way, this is the best stuff. Can get this stuff at most farm and garden centers or anywhere that sells boots.

KIWI was real good, but no longer sells a mink oil product due to anti-fur groups.

Use a popsicle stick to apply.

Fiebing's Mink Oil Paste, 6 Oz. - For Smooth Leather and Vinyl

I should add that one flake of lube 1.5 inches square is enough to lube all 5 chambers, with a sliver left over.  After re-reading my first post, I was afraid it was not clear.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I should add that one flake of lube 1.5 inches square is enough to lube all 5 chambers, with a sliver left over.  After re-reading my first post, I was afraid it was not clear.

I was wondering how you got that whole 1.5 inch x 1/8 inch piece stuffed in one  cylinder :D...just kidding I was tracking what you meant

Howdy

Way back in 1968 when I bought my first Cap & Ball revolver the standard thing to do was to smear some Crisco over the balls, to both grease the balls and prevent an errant spark from sneaking past a void in the ball and causing a chain fire. I found out right away that the heat of a chamber firing would melt the Crisco in the next chamber to fire, making it pretty useless for either job.

Then I discovered pre-lubed wads. I found out that a wad between powder and ball was much better than melted Crisco as a spark arrestor, and the wad would scrape the fouling from the previous shot out of the bore quite well.

Never gooped anything over the balls again.

I regularly use Crisco.  I clean out an old toothpaste tube then pour melted Crisco into it.  Squeeze to apply.   It's worked fine for me for the 3 or 4 years I've been shooting Frontiersman.  I do get some funny looks when folks ask me if I'm putting toothpaste on my guns.  :D  But it sure is convenient. 

Last year I started using a 50/50 mix of Crisco and bee's wax on hot summer days.  I pour the molten mixture into an old (large) medicine bottle for transport then use my pocket knife to apply to the chambers.  Unfortunately, 50/50 and 75/25 Crisco/bee's wax are both too hard to use the tooth paste tube trick.

Angus

50/50 mix of crisco and beeswax. Melt in old 8" square cake pan directly over low heat. When completely melted, pour boiling water into cake pan. Lube floats to top and cools to a smooth, perfectly uniform thickness. I like to cool it in the fridge, then turn the pan over in the sink. The slab comes out in one piece and water down the drain.

ive been shooting cap and ball for the better part of 20 years, new to SASS though (now if only i could shoot a rifle as good as i am with a revolver). i have fired thousands if not tens of thousands of rounds of cap and ball, mostly remingtons. i have never had a chain fire. at least 15 years ago i stopped using lube over the ball, about 5 years ago i stopped using wads. if you used .454 or .457 round ball and your revolver cuts a nice lead ring when you press the ball in, its sealed and you wont get a chain fire... if on the extremely rare occasion it is a chamber chain fire, the user used .451 balls not 454 or 457. when a chain fire happens, almost always its a cap falling off and a spark going through a nipple. pinch your caps so they are on nice and snug and dont fall off. chain fires are extremely rare, they will scare the crap out of you but rarely does it damage the gun or injure the shooter. some guys use clear fingernail polish to seal the cap... i use cap keepers and have never had one fall off since.

On 4/12/2017 at 8:35 PM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I will be shooting the 4-Corners Regional too.  I hope you shoot the Plainsman with us.  I use some old, rancid Wal*Mart shortening over my balls.  If it is hot enough so that the shortening melts then I switch to pre-lubed, felt wads.  The BP shooters don't complain about the smell of the shortening.  I don't think they can smell it.

Ha ha ha .

Im going to get Myself in Trouble !

Never mind :-)

Archived