SASS Wire Forum

Smoky Mtn. fires and rain (update: see post #20, Wed 0915

Widder, SASS #59054

UPDATED: see my post #20

Ronnie Milsapps sings a great song titled: "Smoky Mountain Rain".

Well, those rains came but were about 2-3 hours late to help some of the Gatlinburg area home folks who have lost everything due to those fires in the Gatlinburg area.

Tyrel and Imis have posted a thread with concerns for us E.TN cards so here is my UNOFFICIAL report.

Those of us who live local (TnTombstone, Slater, myself, etc...) live in the area known as the 'Foothills' of the Smoky's. But, we live about 30+ miles (maybe more) from the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area.

We were not in any danger of those fires. BUT, there may very well be some of our Pards who live in that area or own property that I am unaware of.

REGARDLESS, your thoughts and prayers can be a comfort to those MANY folks effected and some who have lost everything.

I heard on the news today of one person who lost his home AND his job because the fire burnt down the business where he was employed.

Some of the local reports have stated that winds were gusting up to 87 mph. Its no wonder so much stuff was destroyed.

Its also reported that 3 have died in the wildfires. So sad.

..........Widder

Glad to hear you are doing well and thanks for the update. We will continue to keep everyone in the area in our prayers. Godspeed to the many

volunteers from middle TN as well as surrounding states that are headed that way to relieve the firemen and EMS personnel in the area. Very sad to

hear about some fine folks losing their homes and livelihood.

been praying all day for all those affected as well as those fighting the fires....I'z living in a place where them suckers are all tuu common, so my heart goes out ta all those folks

Widder,

If you find out if any shooting pards in that area that's suffered a loss let me know. I'll be more than glad to start up a funds project to help out. I can't even begin to imagine how it feels to lose everything. My heart and prayers go out to you and any of our shooting family this might have affected.

Your Pal,

Slick

That's my old stomping grounds. Graduated high school in Sevierville. Pigeon Forge was a wide gap in the mountains with little there. My highschool buddy was Mark Ogle. Hell the Ogles owned half the town of Gatlinburg. Anyway been keeping up on facebook. Prayers up for everyone that the damage will be minimal.

Thanks everyone.

SLICK: if I (or our local club) discovers any of our Pards who live and lost a home in that area, I will let you know...... or one of our club officers will probably post an appropriate thread on the Wire.

Some fires are still burning but more rain is expected tonight.

Keep those rain prayers coming.

..........Widder

Thank you for posting this Widder.

I have a bushel of friends in TN and have been on pins and needles since I got back from there.

It was very smoky (NOT from the mountains)

when I was there and so being a professional worrier I went into full worry mode.

Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Please keep us updated.

Waimea

TN Tombstone has a more thorough knowledge of our E.TN shooting Pards and some of their living locations.

Maybe he will see this thread and add some more news info.

WAIMEA: yea, the smoke you witnessed was probably self-induced by you and that posse you shot with..... ;)

..........Widder

Hey, Widder, our thoughts and prayers for all those there in TN. We were there in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinberg before we came to Wartrace.

Prayers up from downunder

Jack N Kat.

It got worse cowpokes. please send up prayers for the area. This is the worst in over 100 years.

"Prayers Up" for the folks in the Gatlinberg area. Widder---Glad to hear you are not in danger, have been thinking about you folks down there.

Eyesa

Tnx for the report Widder. I'll keep you folks in my prayers. I know how anxious things can get.. last years Rough Fire out here was over 150,000 acres with about 5,000 fire fighters. I had to evac my cabin, and was preparing to evac my home when we got just enough rain to help them get it stopped at the ridge above my house. Wild fires are all consuming, and devastating. I use to fight them. May God watch over you all, and help those that have suffered the loss of their homes.

Snakebite

As far as I know there were not shooting partners affected by the fires. The pictures that are coming out are devastating to those of us who use the national forest a lot.

We were certainly due something like this, it has been over 100 years since our mountains have seen fires like this, but still hard to see. I cant believe you folks out west live with this every year. Not sure my nerves would be up for that.

UPDATE: Wed. Nov 30th

Its a head punch with the right

and then a gut punch with the left.

The rains last night surely calmed the dangers of the Smoky Mtn fires, although I haven't seen any specific reports this morning.

The area has been getting some good, steady rains since around midnight and they continue this morning as I type this.

With some of the rains came some reports of Tornados in some surrounding counties.

CPHD Joe might have to whoop up a fresh batch of lemonade to pass out to all these emergency employees and volunteers just to help calm their nerves when this mess gets over.

Your prayers are still welcome for those in need of living quarters, life stability and job security.

Christmas time is a HUGE part of Gatlinburg.

And as I close out this post, I'm getting some heavy rain, some lightning and thunder here in the Foothills.

Thanks everyone for your concerns.

..........Widder

Widder, as I was watching some of the videos last night I saw a mention of Christus Gardens. It is, or maybe was, owned by Wartrace shooter Cody Kid and his wife Buxom Boo. I havent heard anything from, or about, them this weelk, but may have more info after the shoot on Sat. Ill keep yall posted.

Imis

I was a little out of date. Christus Gardens is closed and was replaced bu a religious themed museum. Dont know if Cody has any dealings with it now.

Imis

Archived