SASS Wire Forum

Guns Cleaned & In the Safe-Shoulder Replacement Surgery Monday

Cleaned all my cowboy & bulls eye guns and stored them away for awhile. Monday I go under the knife for a total shoulder replacement. Need both of them done. Hope to get back to shooting for next June's Revenge shoot. Both of them have been really bad the last year, so at least after they are both done, the pain will be less (or gone completely, I hope!).

Need to get back to shooting ASAP so Utah Bob won't be the only cowboy shooting BP at our monthly shoots.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

I've worked with many post-surg patients and more knee replacements than I can count, but I have absolutely no experience with shoulders.

This means the only real good free advice is limited to:

Pain meds takes a full half hour to work, so before you go to physical therapy, take the pain meds FIRST.

Keep ahead of the pain, don't wait until you're hurting.

Otherwise ... like I said, I have no experience with shoulders ... but everyone that's had a knee replaced, told me the same thing:

"If I knew how much better I'd feel after I got 'em replaced, I would've had them done before they went bad!"

I have had both shoulders replaced. The right one in 2009, the left in 2011, about 17 months apart. When I came out of surgery, I had a drain tube in for a couple of days. I had a PCA with morphine. Stay ahead of the pain. When you go to oral pain meds, don't tough it out. Make sure the Dr and nurse know if the dose and time interval are adequate. (Experience talking here.)

When you start PT, make sure you do the home portion with the colored bands. It will help with the strengh and range of motion. The ball crawl (pushing a ball up a wall) is painful, but a must.

I am right handed, and my Dr wanted me to wait for a year before shooting anything with more recoil than a 12ga light load. I could shoot that after 4 months. My Dr has me take an antibiotic before any invasive proceedure (like dental work or a biiopsy)

I now have full rotation in both shoulders. I hope yours works as well.

Regards DR

Like Dakota Rebel said!! Do the rehab religiously and use the meds before you hurt!!

There is a sleeve apparatus that circulates cold liquid around the joint!! Works ten times better than ice packs!! They are available as rentals and most insurance will cover the cost. It was worth more than you can imagine.

Plan on sleeping in the easy chair for a week or two when you get home!!

Good luck with your surgery , Sage. One question , did you get to Elk hunt this year , or did the shoulder prevent that also??

Bummer if it did.

Get well , Rex :D

No I didn't hunt elk or deer as my surgery was originally scheduled for a month ago, right in the middle of hunting. My original ortho Dr said I needed a bone graft, which he doesn't do. Referred to another dr, who said I didn't need the graft. I did get to hunt antelope here in Co earlier. Got a nice buck over near Alamosa.

I've had 2 joint replacements already (knee & ankle), so I know what you mean by staying ahead of the pain. PT will be the most important thing for sure.

I shoot long guns left handed, so I am doing the left shoulder first (I need both done). Dr thinks he can do the rt one about 4 months later....depending on how the pt goes. I do have full range of motion (with an ungodly amount of pain), so regaining it will be easier.

Thanks for all the support................

typing this with one finger...happy thanksgiving to all, my friends. had surgery Monday, home on tuesday pm. dr said shoulder was a mess. finally got the pain meds settled down, so it is manageable. I was hoping to get both shoulders taken care of this winter...not. i'll start pt in a week or so, hope to get back shooting in time for our revenge shoot in june.

thanks for all the wishes..........

Archived