SASS Wire Forum

Seat Crimp Die

Buffalo Bill Mathewson, 37826

I use a Lee carbide die in position 5 on my 650...works very well for me. I have the Dillon powder check die in 3 and a bullet feeder in 4.

Kajun

I don't load 38's, so I don't know if that's different, but I use the rcbs cowboy dies to seat and crimp in one stage for 45 colt, 44-40, 38-40, and 45-70. I have never had an issue with doing both in one operation once the dies are set properly.

Before I got my 650 I used the RCBS cowboy dies with a combo seat/crimp die on a single stage press. I was pleased with it, consistent length and nice roll crimp. I did crimp in the crimp groove, not sure if you'd have different results crimping elsewhere to achieve a specific OAL or not.

I would not have a problem going back to it if the need arose.

Lee seat crimp die all in one .

Has worked great for 20+ years now :-)

I use a Dillon 550 and also use a RCBS Lockout Die, so I have no position left for a separate crimp die. Not to worry. I simply final crimp them with a Redding Profile crimp die, in a Lyman T-Mag press mounted separately. A bit slower? Yeah, but it also lets me do a final inspection of the finished round. Results are not having a single ammo problem, year after year.

RBK

Don't load .38 Spl., but I can't see it any different from any other straight-sided or straight-taper cartridge. I've been loading a bunch of different ammo for about 56 years, still using a single-stage RCBS Jr. press and dies, and on those cartridges that need a crimp, I use one seat/crimp dies from RCBS.

For .38 Special I seat and crimp in one die. For years I used a 1980 vintage RCBS die. When I bought a Hornady progressive press a few years back I bought a set of Hornady dies and have used them since then. The Hornady dies have some good features, including a floating bullet alignment sleeve (fewer cocked bullets) and a seating stem that threads into the top of the die making it easier to clean the die.

Howdy

Since both my progressive presses are Hornadies, I mostly use Hornady New Dimension dies. I am one of the dinosaurs who still believes in seating and crimping in one step whenever I can. For 38 Special I have two seating and crimp dies, one is set for 125 grain Truncated Cone bullets, the other for 158 grain Semi-Wadcutters.

Either RCBS or Dillon seat/crimp dies... but, I have several seating stems to match to bullet shape.

I REALLY prefer crimping in a separate step, so I crimp on a single stage.My qty demands are low so the little bit of time it takes just keeps me out of the wife's hair. lol. It really doesn't take very long.

What combination Seat / Crimp die do you like for .38spl.

Lee. I have a Lee FCD for every caliber I load but do not use them anymore. Found that a properly set seat/crimp die does as good a job.

I did not see the individual Lee die that I use but it is included in their 3 die carbide .38/.357 set. You can see it on Midway USA's website here. I would think that you could probably order just the individual die.

Kajun

I have both Lee and Hornady and both work great. Also have a Lee FCD that I used to a few times, but put it away. To me, it was just an extra step without any perceivable benefit.

The only time I use a separate crimp die is for .44-40

For me I use a FCD for 44/40 30/30 45/70

All other cartridge's I use a Lee seat crimp. Die all in one.

But I also injoy reloading and still load on a single stage turet press .

And I decap all my brass on a single stage collette press with a universal die.

I hand prime all my brass with a Lee hand primer.

Im not in a hurry when I load , infact I injoy the quite time by my self.

I do most of my loading all winter long,

when I have less stuff pulling me in different directions.

And I load enough to shoot all sommer long.

I started with lee presses and dies and when I went to a 650 kept them. they work.

I generally use a separate seat and crimp (FCD), but have use the regular lee seating die for crimping also.
As far as crimping is concerend I can't tell the difference.

Archived