SASS Wire Forum

Soldier nicknames?

Red leg, Straight leg, or something vulgar/profane/blasphemous?

Calling a non-paratrooper a "leg" is short for "straight leg".

Once upon a time (I don't know how this is now.), airborne qualified soldiers assigned to jump units were allowed to wear jump boots with their dress uniforms. They would blouse their pant legs into the top of the boot, and it looked pretty sharp.

Non paratroopers wore low quarter shoes with their dress uniforms. Hence, their trousers had "straight legs".

And now you know, as Paul Harvey famously said, the rest of the story.

Paratroopers still blouse their trousers.

When that stops, the country is doomed.

4ZhFmL.png

and "Chief" (Chief of firing Battery)

In the artillery, he would be called "Smoke."

We called him "Chief." C 1/36 FA

Interesting. Always heard them referred to as Smoke. Took me awhile when I got the the Field Artillery to figure out who and what they meant. Assigned to HHB 1/134 FA from 1998 to 2012. Spent a lot of time on the gun lines as their medic despite actually being the Section NCOIC. Funny thing was, there was always one young, not so bright guy that would refer to any section chief as "Smoke."

Seems it is short for "Chief of Smoke"

http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9651093521/m/9471006082

Interesting. Always heard them referred to as Smoke. Took me awhile when I got the the Field Artillery to figure out who and what they meant. Assigned to HHB 1/134 FA from 1998 to 2012. Spent a lot of time on the gun lines as their medic despite actually being the Section NCOIC. Funny thing was, there was always one young, not so bright guy that would refer to any section chief as "Smoke."

Seems it is short for "Chief of Smoke"

http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9651093521/m/9471006082

Of course, Chief of Smoke. I reported directly to SFC Christian. The little sawed off SOB should have been in Armor he was so small. )))

Cobra helicopter mechanics = snake doctors

The Artillery Battery had a Fire Direction Officer FDO(always the lowest rank-2nd Lt least authority and generally overlooked) and Executive Officer (2nd or 1st Lt) XO and the Battery Commander (highest rank 1st Lt -Capt) who was always called the "Old Man" his job was to be the father figure and to protect the rank and file from the excesses of the XO. He was always a softy and willing to listen to the problems of the troops.

Upon his promotion or transfer, the XO stepped into his position and had an immediate change of personality and the former FDO, now the XO, immediately became the most foul tempered sob in the battery.

Battery 1st Sgt was an E-7 or occasionally E-8 and was known as the "shirt" or "sleeve" and was generally benign and was the one person in the Battery that remembered your birthday. If you were having woman troubles you went to talk to him

Next ranking NCO was the dreaded Chief of Smoke. He reported directly to the XO and was generally as mean as the XO.

The Gun Chiefs were a world to their own and were directly responsible for the day to day actions and training of the gun crews.

The Artillery Battery had a Fire Direction Officer FDO(always the lowest rank-2nd Lt least authority and generally overlooked) and Executive Officer (2nd or 1st Lt) XO and the Battery Commander (highest rank 1st Lt -Capt) who was always called the "Old Man" his job was to be the father figure and to protect the rank and file from the excesses of the XO. He was always a softy and willing to listen to the problems of the troops.

Upon his promotion or transfer, the XO stepped into his position and had an immediate change of personality and the former FDO, now the XO, immediately became the most foul tempered sob in the battery.

Battery 1st Sgt was an E-7 or occasionally E-8 and was known as the "shirt" or "sleeve" and was generally benign and was the one person in the Battery that remembered your birthday. If you were having woman troubles you went to talk to him

Next ranking NCO was the dreaded Chief of Smoke. He reported directly to the XO and was generally as mean as the XO.

The Gun Chiefs were a world to their own and were directly responsible for the day to day actions and training of the gun crews.

Sounds about how I observed it and remembered it. It was good being their doc. The Gun Chiefs would always ask me if I wanted to fire their guns (Duh!) and the BC (Battery Commander), XO and First Sergeant would leave me alone, so long as I walked the gun lines regularly checking on the guys, and made sure they washed their hands before chow. I will admit that almost as fun as firing the guns was sitting in FDC and calling a fire mission.

Tankers were referred to as DATs. Dumb Arse tankers.. I was a tank systems meechanic. They were anything but dumb. Still I used it to rib my compadres. After the M 1 they became CDATs computerized dumb are tankers.

Yep, I was DAT and CDAT having served on M48A5E8, M60, M60A1, M60A3 and M1 Abrams. Most tankers are definitely not dumb, but riding around in the biggest target on the battlefield does lead some to question the intelligence of our choice of MOS.

We called infantry "track grease".

Anyone driving or riding in a tracked vehicle was called a tread head,

ADA gunners were called fly swatters

Mechanics = SAM's (Smart Arsed Mechanics)

Tankers = DAT

Airman= Wing Wipers

AF Pilots = Jet Jockey

Helo Pilot= Rotor Head

Medics = Doc

Artillery = Gun Bunnies, Cannon Cocker, (deaf)

Infantry = Grunt, 1-1 Bullet Stopper, 1-1 Brush Beater, Dog Face,

Airborne = Paratrooper; There are to many descriptions for me to remember and are unfit to print. Just remember only two things fall out of the sky, precipitation and bird droppings.

Air Force flightline:

Hydraulic troops - Bubble Chasers

Electricians - Spark Chasers

Avionics Technicians (Your truly) - Pointy Heads

Crew Chief - Booger Hooker

Weapons Loaders - Load Toads

Weapons Depot - BB Stackers

• 4 weeks later...

Some Aussie ones for you:

Armed Corps:

Tankies, Buckets, Wheelie Bins (that's what we call our garbage bins- APC's were full of garbage), bullet magnets.

Infantry:

Grunts, Splat Cats (para's).

Service Corps:

POGO's (posted on garrison only).

Aviation:

rotor heads, woka's (the sound of rotors), target indicators (can you see the burning chopper? well the bad guys are over there).

Artillery:

Drop shorts,

Cooks:

Fitters and Turners (fit food into pots and turn it into......)

RAEME (mechanics)

The black hand gang

Engineers:

Sappers, mine detectors (something goes bang and everyone yells "he found it"!).

Those are the printable ones I can remember right now.

USAF: Fighter Pilot= Fighter Jock

C 141, C5, C 124, Etc Pilot= Trash Hauler

Aircraft Maintenance Officer= Maintenance Puke

SAC Missile Crew= Cone Heads

Other AFSCs (Non Pilots/Navs/ Boomers}= Ground Pounders

KC 135 Boomer= Gas Passer (A figher jock's best friend)

I am too old to remember any more....

Hoss C.

I'm getting to this thread late, and I'm shocked and dismayed that no one has said "Dog Face," or "Dog Face Soldier" to refer to infantrymen.

Back in the day, I started my career as a straight leg dog face. I was 17 then (and yes, you CAN enlist at age 17 with a parental waiver and *IF* your AIT is scheduled so you'll turn 18 before you graduate).

Wow. That was a long time ago. I turn 40 in a few weeks and I'm still in. Since my straight leg dog face days, I've gotten commissioned, am on my fourth MOS, and moved up to LTC. My current MOS is something 99.9% of you never knew existed, so we don't have a nickname yet. I'm calling myself "Steely-eyed Rocket Man." :)

Stuff hurts these days. Somehow I became the old guy. When did that happen?

I know on this forum 40 isn't old. But in the Army, believe you me, it's ancient. Consider this: I had been in the Army for four years already when the average new Private was born. None of them have any memory of 9-11.

RE: the original post

Soldier nicknames?

Sailors, Marines, and Airmen are not soldiers. ;)

Archived