SASS Wire Forum

If Henry Repeating Arms Made These Calibers - Would You Buy One?

John Boy

I do not know about a Henry Rifle, but I like the 25-20 round. the first two years I played this game was with a Winchester 92 carbine, in 25-20 caliber. If never failed to take a knock down over and was as accurate as any rifle I've shot in SASS matches since.

Needless to say, the style points made up for poor shooting on my part.

Brass was available periodically from Starline, I don't know if they still provide it.

No. Now, if they made an 1892 copy as well made as their other offerings... You BETCHA!!

How about a Marlin 94 clone done right?

If, as in an original 1894, sans fat wood, safety... with King's patent loading gate and an octagon bbl, rifle configuration & w/upgraded wood, you betcha!

I'd like to find a real Winchester in 38-40 that is shootable

You mean like this?

Winchester Model 1873, made in 1887, 38-40.

They are out there, you just have to be persistent.

187303.jpg

afadfadf

Guys, the one thing I have learned from being in this sport for so long long is that it also inspires individuality in some of us who don't a (left blank in honor of Michael O'Flynn today) what we are wearing or what we shoot, we just do because we like it! I have been shooting most of the time with a Winchester either 94 or 92 with a big loop as my persona is after the Duke, and no I don't care if I am competitive, I care about walking around dressed like my childhood hero and being healed! So for the others who like a Big Boy, let them! My first competitive rifle was a 94 in .44 mag with the large loop and the safety in the receiver, all I could afford at the time, did I mention it was the 1894-1994 commemorative? One stage the first time I used it I couldn't get the safety off and dumped 4 out of 10 shots on the ground! Now I have a Browning 92, a Winchester 92 rifle, regular loop, a John Wayne 92 in .44-40, reamed out for .44 spcl and a Uberti 1873 in .44 spcl, oh and I still have the 94, but that has become more my boar hunting rifle. If they want a Big Boy, let them and if they want to be competitive, they will buy something else! Biggest thing is to have fun with whatever your dress and guns and that's the fact Jack!

But, But Winchester called it .38 WCF even if they just marked it .38 cal.... Winchester didn't refer to it as .38-40......

I have a 66 marked .44 cal . Can you guess what it uses for ammo?

Jabez Cowboy

I have a 66 marked .44 cal . Can you guess what it uses for ammo?

Yeah. If it's original it uses 44 Henry Rimfire, unless it is one of the rare ones chambered for the centerfire version of the 44 Rimfire cartridge.

I might buy one if they made a .22 LR in 1860.I would have to mount it on my truck.

I'll swim against the stream.

I would buy a 92 in .25-20.

If Henry Mfg. made a rifle in that caliber I would buy it.

Quoting the wise man, "You pays-a you money and takes-a you choice."

Well, even if the few did want them calibers - it's not going to happen:

Thank you Sir for your enthusiastic interest in Henry Repeating Arms, we certainly appreciate it. In short the dash 20s as I call them are way too small a market with very limited ammo availability to tool up for the changes needed to make them. I am with you as far really liking them and their history but the market and ammo are not there to support it.

Sincerely,
Anthony Imperato
President
Henry Repeating Arms, Co.

A lighting like rifle that might work...so it will look like a '97 on meth with a giant trigger guard, a muzzle loading tubular magazine and brass offset with blued parts. Don't forget a side ejection port. All the aesthetics we've come to enjoy along with the reliable fallibility we've come to love. Hahaha 😂😂😂😂

Latest email from Mr Imperato this morning

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Imperato [mailto:anthony@henryrepeating.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2016 7:50 AM
To: 'John Corney'
Subject: RE: Reply ... RE: Contact Message - Henry Repeating Arms

The 38-55 is the only possibility in the old time calibers.

Sincerely,

Anthony Imperato

President

Henry Repeating Arms, Co.

My Reply:

Anthony - IMO Would be a winner! Though I have a 38-55 HiWall and a 1885 Wirfflein break open ... count me for a Henry lever rifle order!

Be sure to cut the barrel so 380 base diameter lead bullets can be used for reloads ... (38-55 cartridge, .372" bore, .379" groove, 1-18", 6 grooves) ... not the 368" bore, .375" groove, 1-18", 6 grooves which is for jackets and only Pb bullets that cast at 376 such as the old Ideal 37584. 375084-37584_156g-176g-197g-218g-238g-25

All Pb bullets other than the Ideal 37584, the current molds & bullet purchases from vendors are cast Pb bullets with a base diameter of 380. Accordingly, bores with a 368/375 will not chamber with a 380 bullet because the reloads are pregnant and won't fit

PS: The 38-55 drilled & tapped on the tang would be perfect for those wanting to add a vernier or a Marbles peep sight for accurate target and long range shooting

Thanks for the update and My Sincere Regards to All at Henry

John

already have a Uberti Henry rifle.

As to the company Henry I have one of their .22s and that is a sweet little rifle.

That is the only one I will ever have. I understand advertising but I also understand outright lying

cr

Archived