SASS Wire Forum

Can you spot the sniper?

Krazy Kajun

I saw an interesting article this morning about a project that a photographer did with the German army where he took photographs of snipers with guns aimed at him. See if you can spot the snipers in the pictures at the bottom of the article.....you can find it here.

Kajun

I got the ones in the forest - maybe because the soldiers were "young and inexperienced".

But the rocks? There's nothing to give scale.

If there's a guy next to a tree, in the woods, you got an idea how big a normal tree is, so you have an idea of what size to look for.

With rocks, though, is that rock a foot in diameter - so the dark spot next to it can't be a man - or ten feet in diameter - so the dark spot can easily be a man.

Just dial up DivArty and ask for a "battery six walking barrage"! Artillery is intended to make a descent fight out of what would otherwise be a mindless brawl...or words to that effect! In the forest, use airbursts. In the rocks, HE! Follow that with an air drop of toilet paper. If you didn't kill 'em, they could probably use the stuff! ;):P

Only failed to find the one in the rocks. I'm used to woods hunting and they were actually fairly easy to find. Being used to a surrounding helps to spot what's out of place.

I got the ones in the forest - maybe because the soldiers were "young and inexperienced".

But the rocks? There's nothing to give scale.

If there's a guy next to a tree, in the woods, you got an idea how big a normal tree is, so you have an idea of what size to look for.

With rocks, though, is that rock a foot in diameter - so the dark spot next to it can't be a man - or ten feet in diameter - so the dark spot can easily be a man.

He's on the grassy knole!

Krazy Kajun

Our son, a USMC 2Lt, is currently at Scout/Sniper school. I will send him the link as a homework assignment.

Capt R. Hugh Kidnme

Krazy Kajun

Our son, a USMC 2Lt, is currently at Scout/Sniper school. I will send him the link as a homework assignment.

Capt R. Hugh Kidnme

Tell your son that we all thank him for his service.....and very cool that he is in that school....something to be proud of.

Let us know how he does on his "assignment."

Kajun

I got 2.

The others got me.

Just dial up DivArty and ask for a "battery six walking barrage"! Artillery is intended to make a descent fight out of what would otherwise be a mindless brawl...or words to that effect! In the forest, use airbursts. In the rocks, HE! Follow that with an air drop of toilet paper. If you didn't kill 'em, they could probably use the stuff! ;):P

I would have said air support, but it pretty much works out to the same thing - use a huge hammer to do the job.

Got them all except the last one. I still can't see the rifle muzzle.

But, I was looking for at least one sniper in each pic, so it was a matter of looking for something just out of place. But, if I'd been an ordinary GI traipsing thru the wods I'd been dead after the first one. I can see how a soldier could go absolutely bonkers and paranoid after being warned about snipers in the area!

Didn't Gen Bradley say something about German snipers?

Arc Light

Loved them. Made for easier targeting.

Tell your son that we all thank him for his service.....and very cool that he is in that school....something to be proud of.

Let us know how he does on his "assignment."

Kajun

Will do, Pard. On both the "Thanks" and result of his assignment

Capt R. Hugh Kidnme.

Hindsight. We are all looking at pictures on a computer. We have the luxury of conducting field scans from a defensive position without threat. I spotted them quickly due to this. If I had the stress of an actual situation I can only pray that I could spot them. Add to that being on patrol through an area I probably would be adding to he fertiliztion of local fauna.

Archived