SASS Wire Forum

Moving from Dillon 550 to 650 - A real eye-opener!

Max Payne

I have several of both fully loaded 550's and 650's. I love the 650 using the Dillon check die, and watch the plunger as well. HOWEVER I can never come close to that rate of production!

Did you guys figure out a way to shortstroke them!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dillion Square Deal for 12 years. Loved it. Then the son conviced me to invested in a rifle that didn't have any walnut on it and is political incorrect.

Sprung for 650 with case feeder. When I was setting it up for the first time I thought what did I get myself into. A lot more complicated the the Square Deal. Took my time and ended up happy happy happy!

I found reloading was boring. So I'd load a few rounds before supper, every night until I had just enough for the next match. With the 650 I had enough reloaded for all of the next season before I realized it. Made reloading enjoyable.

Yes Dillon will tell you to lube the brass even with carbide dies. I roaded off my 650 for @ 26-27 years and would not trade it. I was given a 550 so now I have the 650 set up in s.p. And the 550 in l.p. I re- load more s.p. So the 650. I will get another 650 and set it up for l.p. Soon and then use the 550 for calibers I don't shoot that much.

WOW! Learned a lot from all of the feedback.

Thanks, Kajun on the Hornady One-Shot. I'm definitely gonna get some.

I like the idea on the Double Alpha bullet feeder system, & I'm gonna explore that one some more.

I do know the Dillon dies are carbide from reading the catalogues & the website. This 650 came with a bullet setting die & a crimping die I don't recognize. They're a silver color, as opposed to the Dillon gold ones, & they have knurled knobs at the top. I'm sure so you can adjust the depth without loosening the locking nut. I don't know if they're better, or not as good as the Dillon. The seller may have wanted to keep the Dillon dies, or he may have upgraded. They work, so I don't know yet.

I have a bullet tray on my 550, but it only holds about 100 or so. I'm using one of the blue bullet bin trays with the 650 because I can dump a box of 500 in at one time.

The Dillon lockout die is due here this afternoon. I'm gonna buy the RCBS too, since it's only $30 or so & see which one I like best. I do have really bad hearing, so the buzzer probably won't help me much. I almost never hear the primer buzzer going off.

I was asked if I'll sell the 550. Probably, as I really can't imagine using it again. I'm guessing it would go pretty quick here in the Atlanta area, as I shoot with 5 clubs.

Thanks again for all the useful feedback! And, see you Saturday, Kajun. You know chance of rain is 100%!

The RCBS lock out die is not $30.00. That is just their powder check die. The lock out die from Midway is $48.00. I made the same mistake.

The Midway part is 536792.

I also use the UniqueTek bullet bins on all of my Dillons. They will hold several hundred bullets.

Only straight wall cases can be carbide. Got that. Carbide cannot be bent! NO BOTTLENECK CASES.

Many years ago was only two reasons to get a 650, case feeder, 5th hole in tool head to check powder level so you don't have to wonder, hmm did I fill it. Actually, the powder dispenser on Dillon is better than most.and then they didn't have the parts bag. You had to wait to get a part, another reason,separate die for seater and crimp, more accurate and better,the convenience of bullet tray, loaded ammo tray, when full, dump and slide back on.

I would insert foam ear plugs and head phones, all I ever watched was the powder check pointer, one man I know used another brand, he shot as much as we did, had a small vibrator taped on his powder dispenser besides other stuff. He loved everything above,but the primer seating, the fine adjustment, the feel of seating sold him in a few seats.

Only straight wall cases can be carbide. Got that. Carbide cannot be bent! NO BOTTLENECK CASES.

Many years ago was only two reasons to get a 650, case feeder, 5th hole in tool head to check powder level so you don't have to wonder, hmm did I fill it. Actually, the powder dispenser on Dillon is better than most.and then they didn't have the parts bag. You had to wait to get a part, another reason,separate die for seater and crimp, more accurate and better,the convenience of bullet tray, loaded ammo tray, when full, dump and slide back on.

I would insert foam ear plugs and head phones, all I ever watched was the powder check pointer, one man I know used another brand, he shot as much as we did, had a small vibrator taped on his powder dispenser besides other stuff. He loved everything above,but the primer seating, the fine adjustment, the feel of seating sold him in a few seats.

There are carbide dies for bottleneck cases. However, they still need lube, are VERY expensive and not available for a wide variety of cartridges.

WOW! Learned a lot from all of the feedback.

Thanks, Kajun on the Hornady One-Shot. I'm definitely gonna get some.

I like the idea on the Double Alpha bullet feeder system, & I'm gonna explore that one some more.

I looked into the Double Alpha, it'll have to sit in the #3 hole in the tool head where a powder check die would be installed so you would be giving up the powder checking option if you went with it. However you could use the Lee die that sets the bullet and crimps at the same time and put it in position 5 and install the bullet feed system in position 4 and still keep the powder check die in position 3. However I would rather have the seat and crimp in separate steps.

Also I'm not sold on how well they would work with cast bullets. FJT said it would work better with coated cast bullets so that might be doable, I just would like to know of someone who is using it and is successful before sinking any money into that system, either the "automagic" version or the manual tube feed version. Either is a bit pricey.

Also I did not see a .38sp caliber offering in the Double Alpha sales info at Midway USA....you can find the "automagic" version here and the manual tube fed version here.

I do know the Dillon dies are carbide from reading the catalogues & the website. This 650 came with a bullet setting die & a crimping die I don't recognize. They're a silver color, as opposed to the Dillon gold ones, & they have knurled knobs at the top. I'm sure so you can adjust the depth without loosening the locking nut. I don't know if they're better, or not as good as the Dillon. The seller may have wanted to keep the Dillon dies, or he may have upgraded. They work, so I don't know yet.

I have a bullet tray on my 550, but it only holds about 100 or so. I'm using one of the blue bullet bin trays with the 650 because I can dump a box of 500 in at one time.

The Dillon lockout die is due here this afternoon. I'm gonna buy the RCBS too, since it's only $30 or so & see which one I like best. I do have really bad hearing, so the buzzer probably won't help me much. I almost never hear the primer buzzer going off.

I was asked if I'll sell the 550. Probably, as I really can't imagine using it again. I'm guessing it would go pretty quick here in the Atlanta area, as I shoot with 5 clubs.

If you price it right you could sell it in about 5 minutes at any of the Atlanta area clubs without any problem....no shipping and handling either.

Thanks again for all the useful feedback! And, see you Saturday, Kajun. You know chance of rain is 100%!

Yep I saw that...you may or may not see me, depends on what it looks like at 6:30am on Sat morning.

See my notes in red text above.

Kajun

I feel a little better about my hearing after read this thread. Have never failed to hear the primer alarm or the low-powder alarm on my 650. I'm thinking my technique is more like Grizz described his than Duece , more steady that fast. Worst jam-ups I have had were from cases not feeding and falling over onto plate. Stuck the de-capper through the brass. That has happened twice in 15 or so years.

Good loading to all , Rex :D

+100 for the Hornady One-Shot

I have a Square Deal B set up for 38 special. Can easily load 400 rounds per hour including refilling primer tubes, lubing cases etc.

For lubing I use a cheap cookie sheet and spread my cases out flat. Allows me to do one final inspection for .357 cases that slipped through. Then I spray with Hornady One-Shot roll around the sheet, Load them into the empty case tray on one side of my Inline Fabrication strong mount. Bullets go in the other tray.

I use my 650XL because I have it, have spent a lot of $$$ getting it set up and don't have time to reload on a single stage anymore. If I had it to do over again, I'd pick something else. I was using a single stage Lee press - which I loved - still use for .30-30 and .45-70 cartridges. I never had issues and really liked the quality control, consistency. Dillon customer service is excellent. The other good thing is that practically all Cowboys use Dillon so there's alway someone to help when you have an issue.

I have a Square Deal B set up for 38 special. Can easily load 400 rounds per hour including refilling primer tubes, lubing cases etc.

Same here. Just loaded 500 rounds last night. Easy-peasy. But I haven't been lubing .38 cases. Have a second square deal with LP primer set up, use mostly for .45colt right now.

A couple of points to be made. One Shot is a very good product. We use it for everything we load. If you have ever loaded new bras on a Dillon machine, and try it with and without One Shot you will be sold immediately. Works well to reduce effort on old brass also. I loaded a lot of ammo on my first Dillon, a SDB. It is a great machine, but I decided I wanted to have the powder checker of the 650. Never had a squib or double charge with the SDB or the 650 but figured safer is better.

I found a different method of making the best reloads possible. A press monitor that checks for various steps that could affect your reloads if not done correctly. That I hook up to either of my 550s. I bought a second press at EOT this year. Now I have one for large primers and one for small primers, a rcbs for brass shotgun and Presision reloads, and a MEC for shotshells.

I see a lot of recommendations for Hornady One Shot case lube.

What makes it better than Dillion's case lube?

Have used Dillion since I started but if there is a product that works better I'm all for it.

Marshal Stone

I see a lot of recommendations for Hornady One Shot case lube.

What makes it better than Dillion's case lube?

Have used Dillion since I started but if there is a product that works better I'm all for it.

Marshal Stone

Marshal, I have not used Dillon case lube so I can't say. I do know that once I used One Shot, the only time I will use anything else is if I am case forming and need Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I use gallon size bucket to put clean brass in, spray a bit of One Shot in, mix it around with my hands and forget about it. No clean up afterwards. Won't contaminate powder. Doesn't clog up dies.

Marshal, I have not used Dillon case lube so I can't say. I do know that once I used One Shot, the only time I will use anything else is if I am case forming and need Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I use gallon size bucket to put clean brass in, spray a bit of One Shot in, mix it around with my hands and forget about it. No clean up afterwards. Won't contaminate powder. Doesn't clog up dies.

That's always been my concern. Good to know. Thanks

SB, I am totally nondiscriminatory about where it sprays. I actually like a bit on the inside of the cases to help with the expander. I have never, had a problem with the hundreds of thousands of rounds I have used it.

Dillon lube contains lanolin. If you don't tumble your loaded rounds they will be "greasy." OK in moist climes, but in the arid SW your rounds get covered in grit. One shot is a dry lube and leaves a dry film that doesn't attract dust and dirt.

I'm gonna try some of the One Shot! Maybe it'll help me fall back in love with my Dillon 650! 😉. I used something before - not Dillon - but it was sticky grimy feeling so I quit. Appreciate the recommendation.

Scarlett

When I started loading I used Dillon lube, and got excess in a case. Had a squib and found the Dillon Lube in excess accidently inside a case could make the powder inert. A friend ran several tests with One Shot and it would not make powder inert when soaked with One Shot.

When I started loading I used Dillon lube, and got excess in a case. Had a squib and found the Dillon Lube in excess accidently inside a case could make the powder inert. A friend ran several tests with One Shot and it would not make powder inert when soaked with One Shot.

Thanks for the info. Think I'll give it a try. Getting ready to start loading for WR and other shoots in AZ in Feb.

Stone

I used to have a 550B. Traded up for a 650. Liked the 550B MUCH better.

Tell you what.....I'll give ya 20 samolians for that 650 that's causing you so much pain!! :D:lol:

Kajun

I currently load with two 550's, one set up for SP, the other for LP. I've loaded many a round on both of these machines, and never had a problem with either one. Prior to that, did all of my reloading on a Lee Challenger single stage press.

Keep the press clean and lubed, work at a reasonable pace, and the end result always comes out as quality reloaded ammunition.

22 years ago got the SD. Around 2 weeks after I sure wish I had gotten the 650. Thought I was going to only load pistol at the time. Still wish I could go to the 650, but have the T-Mag which works well for me.

A 650 with all the bells and whistles is more automated and therefore more things to go wrong. When I bought mine this spring I found it really frustrating. I shoot more 45 ACP than anything else. So it is set up to crank out all my practice 45 ACP. And it is fast! I have to listen fast to hear the powder check alarm. I love it. But, I still load all my main match ammo (EOT, WR & State) on the 550 where I have more control and I slow down and watch.

Even though I really push on the handle, I get about 5 high primers per hundred rounds. Also, I REALLY liked the simplicity of the 550.

Did you talk to Dillon about the primer issue, it clearly does not normally have that kind of issue? In the end, it keeps up, I am sure if you sent the Dillon 650 to Az it would be repaired for free.

• 1 month later...

I had planned to sell my 550b once I was well underway with the 650 & sure everything was doing what it should. But, as pointed out in the other posts, when something does go awry, it's a bigger deal to fix it than with the 550. I like having the 550 still sitting there, & when I have an issue with the 650, I just take the affected rounds over to the 550 & fix 'em.

Sometimes I'll have a 357, 9mm, 32, 40, or 45 drop down the case loader shoot. The 357 isn't a big deal. The 32 is the biggest pain in the butt, because I have to dremel it off of the die. It's a perfect fit over the knurled knob that holds the decapping pin. Anyway, I now try to make myself focus on every case before cranking down on the lever. And, of course an occasional primer gets boogered up. I did have quite a few high-primers at first, but focusing more on making sure I crank the handle all the way down seems to have made that problem go away. And, Kajun's info on the one-shot case lube was a major piece of information.

Love the production of the 650, & I love having the 550 right beside it to fix issues more easily. I really should sell the 550 & use the coins for some of the many other ways to spend CAS money. But, I'm not there yet.

Deuce, it is difficult to grasp the notion you would set up SDBs instead of 550s.

Larsen E. Pettifogger, remove the speaker from behind the unit and let it hang down. I have always wondered why Dillon puts a tone that most shooters cannot hear on the powder check.

Archived