SASS Wire Forum

Moving from Dillon 550 to 650 - A real eye-opener!

Max Payne

Deuce, it is difficult to grasp the notion you would set up SDBs instead of 550s.

Larsen E. Pettifogger, remove the speaker from behind the unit and let it hang down. I have always wondered why Dillon puts a tone that most shooters cannot hear on the powder check.

I just flat out don't like the 550. Many do, I'm happy for them. I also sent a 1050 back for a full refund a month after having it. I personally think the SDB's are one of the most underated pieces of equipment for our game.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only part of a 650 that I don't like is the way it disposes of spent primers. Replace the Dillon unit with an after market one mine is self made and screws into the mounting holes of Dillons unit with a flexible plastic hose clamped onto it that runs into a bucket. There several companies that market them. One thing though if you use a 5 gallon bucket you may need to be as big as Shooting Bull to pick it up. Good shooting

The only part of a 650 that I don't like is the way it disposes of spent primers. Replace the Dillon unit with an after market one mine is self made and screws into the mounting holes of Dillons unit with a flexible plastic hose clamped onto it that runs into a bucket. There several companies that market them. One thing though if you use a 5 gallon bucket you may need to be as big as Shooting Bull to pick it up. Good shooting

I have mine drop into a coffee can. Much easier to pick up when full.

Each time I see a squib and I am at the unloading table I ask what kind of a loader the shooter uses. Almost every single time it is a 550. I believe this is because most 550 shooters do not use a powder checker of any kind or have difficulty rotating the shell plate for some reason on that load. For those that do not know, on a 550 the shell plate must be rotated manually, unlike the 650 where the shell plate is rotated mechanically with the stroke of the single handle. On the 550, the shell plate rotation is an extra step not needed on the 650 and an easy one to mess up. When this happens, a double charge and or an empty charge of power can result.

+1 , you will see ( hear ) a double charge and a squib, 99.9% its a 550, I figure the loader operator gets distracted and forgets to rotate shell plate or something like that,

AO

+1 , you will see ( hear ) a double charge and a squib, 99.9% its a 550, I figure the loader operator gets distracted and forgets to rotate shell plate or something like that,

AO

It's not that hard to look into each case as it goes by. I use trail boss powder just for that reason, it takes up a lot of space and is easy to see if you double charge

I had planned to sell the 550 once I was at "cruising altitude" with the 650. However, when things go wrong with the 650, it sure is easy to just take the affected bullets to the 550 & fix them. So, if I had to decide right now, it looks doubtful I'll sell the 550. I could have used the bucks to pay for other stuff, but it's just too easy to use it as a fixit machine when I have hiccups on the 650.

And, I would not trade the production of the 650. My wife & I shoot every Saturday & also try to practice at least once during the week. So, between cleaning guns & brass & reloading lots of bullets & shotshells (MEC 9000), I need to save time wherever I can. And, Amen to the powder check & the Hornady One-Shot! Use 'em both now.

Archived