SASS Wire Forum

Scary call yesterday!

Rye Miles #13621

I got a call from an ATF agent that said they "recovered" a Taurus .45 (can't remember the model) in Kentucky. He gave me the name of the purp and it was a long mexican name. I told him I won that gun at an NRA dinner/raffle and sold it at a gun show here in Ohio. Ohio law says you have to verify that who you sold it to is an Ohio resident. I did that. The agent said next time to get a receipt! Get a receipt??? For who? The law says I don't have to do that so I guess he's just making' his job easier. Nothing to worry about he was just following up, he said. Kinda scary though, in all my years of buying and selling guns this is the first time this happened!

Anyone else have the ATF call them?

Rye

Nope, but always have a bill of sale when I do sell one just in, case to protect myself.

Ohio law says to just request for the buyer to show he's a resident of Ohio. If I was buying a gun at a gun show and they wanted my name and address on a bill of sale I would say NO WAY!!! I don't want to give my address/phone to someone I don't know at a gun show no less! I'll sign a cash receipt maybe but that's it.

How am I protecting myself if I follow the law and it doesn't say anything about getting a receipt!?? I'm perplexed!~ :wacko:

Following the law and protecting yourself are not always the same thing. I always do a bill of sale. It's an extra step that can be beneficial down the road. That's just my opinion.

I never let a gun I sell leave my hand without going through a dealer and that gun coming out of my name. Several years ago I gave a gun to a friend in appreciation for a lot of work he had done for me. I went through a dealer with no problem 3 months later he was dead. Where is that gun now?

Unless it was notarized that bill of sale is pretty much useless.

Only once has ATF called me about a gun. An Interarms Virginian Dragoon .44 mag, holster, belt, and 20 rounds of ammo were stolen from under the seat of my locked vehicle at work in East Helena 30+ years ago, and were recovered when a man & woman tried to sell them to a pawn shop in Denver a couple months later. I know who stole it, but couldn't prove it. Anyway, it was all recovered and sent back to the local PD, minus the ammo, who then charged me ten bucks or somesuch for postage before they would release it to me.

Ohio law says to just request for the buyer to show he's a resident of Ohio. If I was buying a gun at a gun show and they wanted my name and address on a bill of sale I would say NO WAY!!! I don't want to give my address/phone to someone I don't know at a gun show no less! I'll sign a cash receipt maybe but that's it.

How am I protecting myself if I follow the law and it doesn't say anything about getting a receipt!?? I'm perplexed!~ :wacko:

It's known as CYA :excl: It's a 'must' when deal'n with guns----

I have a receipt for every gun I ever sold. ;)

OLG

Following the law and protecting yourself are not always the same thing. I always do a bill of sale. It's an extra step that can be beneficial down the road. That's just my opinion.

It's known as CYA :excl: It's a 'must' when deal'n with guns----

I have a receipt for every gun I ever sold. ;)

OLG

Okay guys, do you always get an address or just name and phone number or just name? Like I said before I wouldn't give my address to some stranger at a gun show if I was buying a gun from him. Ohio law does NOT require you get a receipt. You just have to verify that it's an Ohio resident. :o

I'll let Phantom chime in but I believe that the seller is responsible under Federal law to assure that he is not selling a firearm to a prohibited person. I want no parts of being charged for selling a firearm to a felon

Even if your not criminally responsible it doesn't take much to face a civil action if someone is hurt with that gun that YOU provided to a felon

I never let a gun I sell leave my hand without going through a dealer and that gun coming out of my name. Several years ago I gave a gun to a friend in appreciation for a lot of work he had done for me. I went through a dealer with no problem 3 months later he was dead. Where is that gun now?

Unless it was notarized that bill of sale is pretty much useless.

I have to disagree about a non-notarized bill of sale being useless. In civil court possibly, but not in a criminal investigatuion. It could save you a lot of grief.

I write up a bill of sale, make them sign it and verify signature with their license. If they balk at that -no sale. But not among friends.

Someone help me out here. I'm having trouble imagining a situation where a bill of sale (or receipt) will cover your hind end in any way. If someone commits a crime with a gun you once owned, it might make the cops look hard at you, but it won't be enough evidence for an arrest, much less a charge or conviction. It's not like its the norm for people to have receipts for everything they've ever sold. I can see where it might make it easier for cops trying to investigate a crime with a gun you once owned, but that's a different story.

and how are we to assure that someone is not a felon???

and how are we to assure that someone is not a felon???

That's right, we can't call NICS and get a background check!! All that's required is that it is not an OUT OF TOWN sale! (In Ohio that is)

That part about selling a gun to a felon only applies if you know the person is a convicted felon or other wise prohibited. You have no duty to research and can only go by what you are told. I've worked with the ATF on several large scale investigations where they purchased guns from gang members. The undercover agent always works the fact that they are a convicted felon and can't buy a gun at the gun store into the conversation.

And as an individual, you don't have to keep any receipts for the guns you sell under federal law. Your state laws will vary.

That part about selling a gun to a felon only applies if you know the person is a convicted felon or other wise prohibited. You have no duty to research and can only go by what you are told. I've worked with the ATF on several large scale investigations where they purchased guns from gang members. The undercover agent always works the fact that they are a convicted felon and can't buy a gun at the gun store into the conversation.

And as an individual, you don't have to keep any receipts for the guns you sell under federal law. Your state laws will vary.

Unless you have a C&R License, best to keep records for ATF. Its required on any C&R especially. MT

I have to disagree about a non-notarized bill of sale being useless. In civil court possibly, but not in a criminal investigatuion. It could save you a lot of grief.

Anyone can write and post date a bill of sale made out to any name in the phone book

When I sell a gun and I don't sell many I want it out of my name

Sort of, but not the ATF. My new bride got a call from the local sheriff about a gun that had been confiscated from a local teen. She was the last registered owner. We had sold it to a dealer at a gun show just a month or so previously. Gave the deputy the dealer's name and contact info and that was the last we heard.

I'm an FFL holder. I've gotten 2 calls from the ATF about handguns being taken off of a felon. Both times I gave them who I sold it to including the NICS go ahead number. Turns out both parties had sold the guns at gun shows. I log every sale, transfer and guns bought into my A&D book. Never heard from them after that, but one seller was the owner of a security service business that ended up closing shop shortly after that.

Archived