SASS Wire Forum

Opinions on this stage

Attica Jack  #23953

I was having a conversation with another shooter the other day. The topic was how much we both missed shooting a team event, as most shooters don't want to stay after the main match, and shoot team events. He suggested that he would write a team event, 1st. stage for a monthly match. A three or four man team, would be randomly drawn, and the 1st. stage would be shot as a team. The team time, would be every shooters first stage time. The other stages would be shot individually. I didn't see any problem with doing something like that, it would mix things up a bit, and add a little more fun to the game. Shooters could also opt out if they wanted to. Don't want to get into a heated discussion, just some opinions. Thanks

Have done that, but the team stage was not factored into the shooters match score, it was kept separate. Otherwise you are leaving category and overall placement to chance depending on team draws.

It's fun now and then, but I don't know that I'd like it regularly, maybe once a year or so which is how we do it at one club I shoot with..

Well, there is nothing "TEAM" about randomly assigning folks to be in a group that you will score together for one time, right after you draw the assignments. Teams are when you have the same athletes working together for months, practicing and assisting each other.

CAS is about as far as a sport gets from being a team activity. In fact, several rules prohibit things that team members might otherwise do (like live coaching) to improve the performance of their team members.

Much ado about nothing beneficial, is how I would consider it. If done for fun, OK. If done for score, a bad idea.

Good luck, GJ

All sounds like fun except for making the team score part of the shooters score. Don't mess with folks individual scores. And I can tell you from experience that it's not just the "gamers" that would feel that way.

At another club I shoot at they did one stage at a monthly that was a 2 person team. We drew cards and whoever drew the same numbered card, IE; 2's or 8's was your team mate. We then alternated shooting all of our guns. 1st person would shoot their rifle, then 2nd shot their rifle and so on until all 4 guns for each were shot. It was a stand and deliver type stage. They did use the "team" score as the score for that stage. It was different but fun as an alternative kind of stage. Not sure if I'd like doing that at every shoot, but it was fun to do for a change up. The overall winner turned out to be the usual fastest shooter that was paired with a relatively slow shooter. No one won a Buick that day either, so there were no hard feelings about the overall standings.

I've only shot one team stage and it was at our clubs annual match. It was a really fun experience. I shoot gunfighter, but felt like I had to shoot with two hands so as to not let my team down and then ended up missing anyway. I also noticed that most, if not all, of the black powder shooters did not participate. So I agree that it should be optional and not part of the scoring, even if it would almost certainly help my score in the end.

I think it's a good idea to have a whole match in team format but don't think one stage would be worth it. There was a video recently on the wire where there were two person teams and one shooter would shoot the stage then the team mate would shoot the stage the other direction on the same clock. Looked like it ran real smooth. I wouldn't mind it if each club did it once a year or if some clubs used the 5th sat or sun. You should probably talk about it at the next shoot and see how many show interest. Wish a club would do it here. I talked with one match director and he showed intrest but it hasn't happened yet.

At another club I shoot at they did one stage at a monthly that was a 2 person team. We drew cards and whoever drew the same numbered card, IE; 2's or 8's was your team mate. We then alternated shooting all of our guns. 1st person would shoot their rifle, then 2nd shot their rifle and so on until all 4 guns for each were shot. It was a stand and deliver type stage. They did use the "team" score as the score for that stage. It was different but fun as an alternative kind of stage. Not sure if I'd like doing that at every shoot, but it was fun to do for a change up. The overall winner turned out to be the usual fastest shooter that was paired with a relatively slow shooter. No one won a Buick that day either, so there were no hard feelings about the overall standings.

The only issue I have is in your last line. I don't like placing a value on what some folks may or may not care about at a match. It's their $$$ and time, and for some folks that monthy may be as close they get to a major match.

All sounds like fun except for making the team score part of the shooters score. Don't mess with folks individual scores. And I can tell you from experience that it's not just the "gamers" that would feel that way.

+1 .... but if your gonna do it, I wanna be on Deuce's team. :D

I would Not just put this in a monthly without people knowing up front and Would Not do one stage and count it on individual scores. I have shot a lot of team stages on side match day and have always had a lot of fun.

A side match is the place for the team shoot.

I’m not a top contender at any shoot, but I do compete with myself to do the best I can do. I try to better myself every shoot. Don’t get me wrong there are people on my list to beat, but if my score is messed up, I want it to be all mine, I own it. The same with a good score. If someone doesn’t see a miss or access “P” then it truly isn’t my score and I don’t feel good about it.

I've nerver seen a team type event at a regular monthly? I don't care, I'll shoot anything. But I do know that some folks don't like this type of thing. To much pressure on them. They don't want to let people down. Or, they get embarrassed.

Regards,

Ringer

Thanks for the thoughts. You guys are right, don't include the team score as your time/score. Now have to figure out how to include shooting the Texas star without taking a whole lot of time for set up. I have never shot it, or even seen it, except in videos, looks like fun.

It's a BLAST

I always hated shooting 3-gun with teams, either the other guys were inept or were way better than I was.

I'm curious as to how the two person team works. Do the teammates have to be from the same shooting category? I'd really like to try that one day, but I don't want to drag my teammate down since I shoot gunfighter and tend to miss a lot. Now if I am shooting with a fellow gunfighter, we can take turns getting on each others case for the misses.

I always hated shooting 3-gun with teams, either the other guys were inept or were way better than I was.

Then you took it too serious. That's one of the best things about it. No pressure. I used to play golf and a lot of the fund raisers I played were best ball (teams). It's not for everybody but I played and coached team sports most of my life. It's hard to beat the camaraderie a team will create.

Then you took it too serious. That's one of the best things about it. No pressure. I used to play golf and a lot of the fund raisers I played were best ball (teams). It's not for everybody but I played and coached team sports most of my life. It's hard to beat the camaraderie a team will create.

The problem with inept team mates is they usually shot first and we ran out of time for the stage, which meant I didn't get to shoot as much. It saves ammo but takes some of the fun away. The really good shooters would finish their part (I let them go first) and I'd chug along and finish, but couldn't watch them shoot and pick up pointers.

The problem with inept team mates is they usually shot first and we ran out of time for the stage, which meant I didn't get to shoot as much. It saves ammo but takes some of the fun away. The really good shooters would finish their part (I let them go first) and I'd chug along and finish, but couldn't watch them shoot and pick up pointers.

Forgot about the timer in three gun. But get what your saying.

Have you ever tried it shooting cowboy?

What did you think ?

Sounds fine every now and again :D ..................................as others have said the time should not be part of the main match ;) We've done something simular (many moons ago) ,but we set up the teams based on times from several months. That way each team had an A shooter, B shooter, C shooter, and D shooter. This would only work locally around a bunch of folks that shoot together alot. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Signed up for a team side match one time.

Ended up being drawn on a team with top shooters.

I was sure to be the weak link.

But ended up. I was the only one that did not mess up. :)

Did not care that our team did not do good. Was just glad I was

not the cause for them top shooters to not win.

The only issue I have is in your last line. I don't like placing a value on what some folks may or may not care about at a match. It's their $$$ and time, and for some folks that monthy may be as close they get to a major match.

Deuce, you'd have to know this club I was shooting at. It's a small club. This was done on the 2nd day of a weekend shoot (each day scored by itself). The most I think I've ever seen there is 20 or so shooters.They go there just to have fun and shoot guns. There's friendly competition between shooters like any other shoot. But like I said the fastest shooters (I'm not one of them) took the top places since they had 5 more stages to smoke everyone else. The category didn't matter who you got paired with since it was a random drawing. Most in that club go to major shoots, or what I call a major shoot. State and Regional. I don't do anything above a State shoot because I HATE rank scoring. I can embarrass myself enough at a monthly. I don't need to do it at a major shoot that uses Rank. A few of them have even made it to EOT and WR.

Forgot about the timer in three gun. But get what your saying.

Have you ever tried it shooting cowboy?

What did you think ?

None of the groups I shoot cowboy with have done this. I suspect now that someone has mentioned it on the Wire here Justice Deadly will be cooking up something for the next match <_< Team shoots really need a bigger posse to run. With the three 3-gun groups I shot with, we always had a waiting list and there were 60-100 shooters per match.

Another fun one done at one of our local clubs was to set up one bay for one on one shoot-off with the crossover knockdown :D . Since most of us will never know what it's like to be in a shoot-off, this gave everyone a chance to really go for it against anyone of their choosing :blink: ......twas fun, and no scores were recorded ;) Good Luck :)

Another fun one done at one of our local clubs was to set up one bay for one on one shoot-off with the crossover knockdown :D . Since most of us will never know what it's like to be in a shoot-off, this gave everyone a chance to really go for it against anyone of their choosing :blink: ......twas fun, and no scores were recorded ;) Good Luck :)

My daughter made me shoot against her after the Indiana State match last year. It was fun until.... Na, we don't want to talk about it.....

Archived