SASS Wire Forum

Police Harrassment

Duffield, SASS #23454

This was sent to me by a fellow helicopter crewman.

Recently, the Chula Vista, California Police Department ran an e-mail forum with the local community (a question and answer exchange) with the topic being, "Community Policing." One of the civilian e-mail participants posed the following question:
"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"
From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Sgt. Bennett, obviously a cop with a sense of humor replied:
"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In Chula Vista, we average one cop for every 600 people.
Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing. The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents.
At any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty.
So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents
When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.
Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass.
This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring.
What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.
The tools available to us are as follow:
PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment.
"My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment.
Another popular one: "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.
CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like.
It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light.
Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.
RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours to determine why they didn't want to talk to us.
STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc...They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.
After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them.
Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It's a really cool system that we've set up, and it works pretty well.
We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and the pay us to "harass" some people
Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me." It's one of our favorites.
Hopefully sir, this has clarified to you a little bit better how we harass the good citizens of Chula Vista.

Probably should not have been posted on a site intended to create better relations within the City of Chula Vista, between its public servants, who happen to be city employees assigned to the police department and their fellow citizens. Note near the beginning where the not-so-bright author speaks of fellow citizens as "civilians." Police employees ARE civilians and trying to differentiate them from fellow citizens is the reason for many problems between police employees and those they've been hired to serve. This character should have been made to remove this foolish communication and apologize in writing to the community for his ridiculously patronizing, and arrogant reply.

Until police stop training into police employees that they are somehow special, above being average citizens themselves, who simply have a local or state government job (just like the guy who fixes the street or is a building inspector), resentment and animosity from fellow citizens is going to exist at one elevated level or another.

This conversation could go on all day, but that is the heart of it. Police have a difficult enough job without training in more problems.

Probably should not have been posted on a site intended to create better relations within the City of Chula Vista, between its public servants, who happen to be city employees assigned to the police department and their fellow citizens. Note near the beginning where the not-so-bright author speaks of fellow citizens as "civilians." Police employees ARE civilians and trying to differentiate them from fellow citizens is the reason for many problems between police employees and those they've been hired to serve. This character should have been made to remove this foolish communication and apologize in writing to the community for his ridiculously patronizing, and arrogant reply.

Until police stop training into police employees that they are somehow special, above being average citizens themselves, who simply have a local or state government job (just like the guy who fixes the street or is a building inspector), resentment and animosity from fellow citizens is going to exist at one elevated level or another.

This conversation could go on all day, but that is the heart of it. Police have a difficult enough job without training in more problems.

I like your point about "civilians" as that is one of my pet peeves too. I would like to point out that that word in not used in the posted response, but in the introductory front matter.

I have to differ a bit with one of the above comments. While not above being average citizens, I do believe they are a special type of person. Not everyone could do the job they do. I once worked as a volunteer reserve police office for a small town back east. We would often ride with the regular officers as a back up in the patrol car, traffic control, picture and note taker, and assist taking folks into custody. It was enough to impress upon me the special stresses and requirements for the job, and the type of personality required to do the job while remaining sane and impartial. It takes a very special person to be able to combine the special talents, skills and personality traits needed for the job. No, they have no rights beyond those of the citizen on the street, but a successful law enforcement officer is a special person.

Yes there are police out there that have no business being in law enforcement, and unfortunately too many folks judge everyone in uniform by these few.

I think it's a great reply, for, say, an op-ed piece, but I also agree it's not too good on the department PR website, ifthat's what actually happened.

Something tells me that this is an internet spoof, more along the lines of "Things Cops Wish They Could Say."

very commendable but I might have to call bullshit===can not believe they can rat a donut in 3/4 sec Idle thoughts of an idle fellow GW

I must have missed that class at the academy and in all my inservice training

Something tells me that this is an internet spoof, more along the lines of "Things Cops Wish They Could Say."

I tend to agree. I'd like to see come confirmation.

I must have missed that class at the academy and in all my inservice training

I missed that class too

I received the following reply from the man who forwarded it to me:

Can't help Don. I got it forwarded to me from an old RVing friend of mine and it was forwarded to him from somebody that I do not know but is a friend of his because the emails I get from David usually are jokes and stuff like that from the same name that forwarded this to David who Fwd it to me. Guess you can call Chula Vista, CA police dept.< :-|

Duffield

For those of you who don't like the term "civilian", look it up.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/civilian

10 U.S.C. 18 - MILITARY SUPPORT FOR CIVILIAN LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES

Which implies that Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies are, well. civilian.

The Hague Protocols say, "

Rule 5. Definition of Civilians

Rule 5. Civilians are persons who are not members of the armed forces. The civilian population comprises all persons who are civilians.

All this time I thought civilians were special folks not cops. Wear a cop uniform, get shot at because of it. Also got into a lot of fights from folks I did not know. Yep, I remember someone tried to assassinate me just because I wore that uniform and the bullet went right through my window into the transmission. Civilians got to put up political posters in their yards, I sure did not. Civilians got to donate to any political party, I sure did not. Get involved in something off duty that was not good, oh boy. I could do that if I was a civilian. And if it violated the law a civilian might be fined $100, but the officer will get 30 days off, a couple of thousand and cannot get another job while suspended + will go on your record and see what happens at the next promotion process. Yep, guess I had it wrong thinking civilians were special. But it was great while I served them. Yep, 20 years Detective, 1600 homicides, 300 being children, getting to make death notifications, and such a wonderful time at autopsy's. Just a normal civilian job it was was it. :lol:

I tend to politely disagree over the word 'civilians'. We are all citizens, but police are not necessarily civilians. No disrespect intended and we, or 99.9% of us don't think we are better than 'civilians', just we do jobs that when we go to work the thing on most of our minds is that me may not come home or that we may have to take a life! Military and firefighters are in the same line of work, except firefighters are not bothered with the thought if having to take anothers life. I don't think of my self as a civilian but I am a citizen and have always treated everyone, victim or bad guy the way I would want to be treated if the situation was reversed. Again, n o offense intended..

For what it is worth, at my Police Academy we were specifically told by the Undersheriff that we WERE civilians, and that only people in active Military service were not. But I also have to agree that Police Officers are NOT like everybody else, and do have special rights. Most of the rest of us cannot carry a gun at work or when we are out and about. Most of the rest of us are not expected to know what to do in almost any situation. Most of the rest of us are not expected to put our lives on the line FOR the rest of us. I was Deputy sheriff for only 5 years when I realized it was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, and I have total respect for those who make it a career. My wife still doesn't GET what the Police are there for and feels she is being "harassed" every time she gets a ticket, even though she does admits she was doing what they stopped her for, like 3 times a no seatbelt ticket, 48 in a 25 zone, only slowing down for a stop sign. She ALWAYS gets a ticket when stopped, as she always makes it clear she feels they should be " out catching real criminals". Hopefully one day she will take some responsibility for here actions. But in the meantime I'm glad the cops are out there looking out for "the rest of us".

I understand the feelings but we need not get our pants too twisted about the word civilian. Citizen is certainly preferable but officers are citizens too. I guess one could say Non-Sworn Persons but it's a bit clunky. I tried not to use it when I was working but officers who do use it are really not implying they are military or above Joe Citizen. It's just kind of been used down over the years and sometimes, right or wronf, those old habits are often hard to get rid of.

Amen!

I've always felt really special whenever i wear my dress uniform to a brother's funeral. You need to stop broad-brushing us. I have 27 years in, been wounded twice, ambushed once and have eight life saving commendations, three medals of valor and quite a few other awards. Our job is not ordinary and the men and women I have the privilege to work with are outstanding. Do I think the people I work with are better than the people we serve? Nope! Do I think the people I work with are special? Hell yes.

I'm sick and tired of the law enforcement bashing, especially by those who know nothing about us. Do not presume to tell us what we think. Yours is the arrogant reply, not the officer you were commenting about.

While the work Police Officers perform is unique it does not mean they are entitled to special rights. LEO's are part of the community they serve and should always remember the special honor and privilege they have been entrusted with by the members of that community.

When LEO's and Administrators forget that they are members of the community they serve is when problems start to occur. Alas modern policing over the last 50 years has a lot to blame for it. Officers patrol in cars with the windows rolled up, listening to the radio and the A/C or heater running driving by at 30 mph. The only encounter often non-LEO's have is when reporting a crime which are likely to be property crimes that are seldom solved or getting a traffic ticket. In the large city I work in the Police don't even bother to come out and take a report for a property crime like burglary. You merely filed a report by telephone and never hear back from a Officer. All traffic tickets involve paying a hefty fine. Even parking in a handicap parking stall is over $100.00.

As a retired old guy I don't like many of the changes in policing. I think some of them are a big mistake especially in small communities that have lower crime levels.

While Smoken D and Jon's worked in high crime, dangerous communities fortunately most of America is not that way. Policing is still 90% boredom and 10% action.

Seldom, in the extreme high crime community I worked in, 90% of those black folks were the most kindest, loving, honorable people I have ever known even amongst most whites. I actually loved those people and when they came to me for help, I came up with the first community project similar to a one used in California. The first block watcher program and when I finished with it, that area went 45 days without any incident, and that first incident was a recovered stolen auto. During my career I never left those people. There are more community programs in Kansas City, Missouri then ever before. Units just assigned for the lower housing projects, horse units, bicycle units, foot patrol units, park units, AWD units, skateboard park units, school units, youth basketball units, baseball units, 5k-10k units, even a boxing unit. Every district officer is required every quarter to implement a new community project and to meet with those people. Other than foot patrol, none of those units existed back in my days. I know there are many more projects that it would take a very long time to list that goes on with the Kansas City, Missouri Police Department. And I am certain many other departments have just as many projects such as these. Boredom, I don't know when these guys today would have time to be bored.

Archived