SASS Wire Forum

What's with young people these days?

I know that the title question makes me sound like an old fart. Well, I am, but that's not the point.

I was picking up lunch at a McD's on the U. of A. campus today. As I was leaving, I noticed a young couple sitting across from each other at a table, holding hands. Both of them had their eyes absolutely locked on........ their PHONES!!!

They both were using the hand not being held by the other to TEXT!!!

I went as far to actually stop in front of them for about thirty seconds just to make sure I was right. They never even noticed me.

My wife and I have been together for nearly twenty years, and we still manage to find things to talk about to each other!

Put the phones down. Put the video games away. Take the buds out of your ears people. The world is waiting for you to start participating. Please do so before it's too late!

Yes . . . the obsession with electronic "gadgets" is terrible. A while back the daughter of the owner of White Horse Ranch was living on site with her small children . . . a tiny baby was often playing with a hand held game player gadget that she has no idea what it is for or how to use it and it wasn't actually hooked up to anything ! Becoming conditioning to being amused by playing with an "electronic toy" . . . ! Horrible ! . . . . . :blink:

There is a jewelry commercial being shown right now where the guy is trying to get his girl's attention while she texts. He finally pulls out his own phone with a slight grin and texts her to look up, and he hands her a gift of jewelry. My wife, daughter and I were watching it and I very clearly stated that had that been me, I would have texted her to look up so I could wave goodbye as I left.

Just had a long overdue date wwith my bride (25 years). I am on 24 hour call with my job so I am to have my phone on me 24/7. I left it in the car for a couple hours. They don't pay me THAT much!

Why do you care??? I'd just chalk it up to idiots acting like idiots or are WE missing something??? :blink: I think not!

A young lady in Chula Vista, Ca was walking on a sidewalk with her brother last week and got to the corner and because of her texting and not paying attention she stepped right into the path of a tractor trailer rig. Very sad story and totally preventable. Unfortunately technology has taken over and is worse than a drug in a large number of people worldwide.

I saw a a video a couple weeks ago about a woman that walked right off a pier into the water because she was texting. Anyone else see that??

How many times have you had to honk the horn at someone in front of you at a red light that takes forever to get going??? Yep, chances are they're texting or surfing the web on their cell phones!

Maybe we need background checks to get cell phones???

I think cars should be wired to interfere with cell phones.

Stop your car and get out to use it.

Being able to have such a device in a place of business would be nice.

At the bank I get so ah.....when the customer at the window is on the phone and making the teller wait.

I would just call out for the next person. This person with the phone is not ready.

MY opinion for whats its worth... We have been interfering with the laws of natural selection for years now and we are reaping the results. 60 years ago if you were dumb enough to go swiming drunk with signs of a rip tide posted, you were on your own and drowned. For the last 25 years or so we call out life guards, Coast Gurad, helicopters, and police to save their sorry butt. Thus... they live to reproduce more idiots. If we would just let the morons drown, fall, or what ever, they wouldnt live long enough to reproduce and we all would be better off... :rolleyes:

Like I said, its just my opinion....

Tascosa (whoi never did stupid stuff...except :ph34r: )

I remember when I was a kid. The "Old Farts" where asking the same question.

'Course maybe it was just me. ;)

I was at the airport flying back from LA this weekend. Witnessed a familty of 4. They rarely engage each other except when mom went to get McDonalds. Walked thorugh ticket counter and never looked up. Fixated on gadgets. A good percentage of folks did the same thing. Immersed in a tablet or laptop their entire flight.

For the life of me I cannot see how much of technology is as productive as it's made out to be. My personal observation is computers/smart phones inundate us with so much we are seldom focused and therefore seldom efficient and seldom accomplish a whole lot. The attraction of distraction.....

Looking for diversions in our mundane lives rather than actually do something to make it any better.

MY opinion for whats its worth... We have been interfering with the laws of natural selection for years now and we are reaping the results. 60 years ago if you were dumb enough to go swiming drunk with signs of a rip tide posted, you were on your own and drowned. For the last 25 years or so we call out life guards, Coast Gurad, helicopters, and police to save their sorry butt. Thus... they live to reproduce more idiots. If we would just let the morons drown, fall, or what ever, they wouldnt live long enough to reproduce and we all would be better off... :rolleyes:

Like I said, its just my opinion....

Tascosa (whoi never did stupid stuff...except :ph34r: )

We are also long overdue for a plague to thin out the herd

And none of them can talk anymore. If they do talk, it's almost unintelligible. They speak so low and under their breath, there isn't an old fart out there that could hear them. It comes from just communicating by text. I asked my son why he texts when he could call and actually hear a human voice, his answer was that it's easier to text. How is that?

Hey wait a minute, does this thread count as a POOP thread?

They may have been texting each other.....honestly though sometimes my son and I text back and forth when we want to make fun of people like my sister in law or mother in law and they are there...haha

Whats a POOP thread?

My son and I text rather than call cause hes working and may be driving. My wife and I text too but we dont ever text if we are in the same building unless Im lost at Sams...Then she texts me asking me "Where the heck did you get off to?"

My daughter texts me cause she can never get her mother to answer the phone... "Dad, tell mom to answer her phone" <_<

I just love the off button!!!!!!!!

I seldom turn my cell phone on. I figure that I am not that important that a few hours won't make that much difference.

From what I can tell, about 90% of the cell phone calls are nothing more than social gossip. I don't need that.

Sat nite had a guy almost walk into my stopped truck. Had his head down looking at some electronic device. Had to stop my truck because he was walking in the driving lane.

We are also long overdue for a plague to thin out the herd

Yes, a medicine resistant strain is evolving now.

Of course, the solution presented will be yet another pill and reducing our carbon footprint.

Archived