SASS Wire Forum

Shell Belt Rule Change?

Persimmon Dan, SASS #42428

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugly

Shot with Waco a few times local and even at Hell on Wheels. Never could figure out how a man who could hardly walked could run that fast when the buzzer sounded.

The ultimate gamer set up is the suspenders Dapper Dan wears. Snap hooks added to his suspenders & D-rings to his gunbelt.

Hope to see you at one of the shoots this year.

Happy New Year to you and all of the Chicago Gang!

Marlin

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/ebrahl/67f1ccba66cda9016e855ac9edd16adb.jpg

So is this belt not legal with the leather strip on top? I got this at a major match.

B4 I remove the leather in question if PWB could comment?

EMN

If that top strip of leather tips the shells out from the belt (FWIW - there is no "minimum" allowable angle)

...then it is ILLEGAL.

Fair warning...there are many "innovative" ammo carry systems (and other equipments) on the market & out on the range.

Some are NOT LEGAL for SASS-rules competition...& just because no one has said anything at a local monthly/State/Regional/&tc match doesn't mean that they will pass muster at higher-level match.

Examine the equipment and apply the rule appropriately "as written".

Does it comply with the regulations? Then it is (probably) OK.

If it does NOT...then either modify it or quit using it for CAS matches.

Hi Folks,

I was at a "big annual CAS match" once and a friend showed me the magazine holder he'd just bought. The seller told him it was SASS legal and the friend even printed part of the WBAS rule to be sure he bought something that was WBAS legal.. I thought it was not and went to get the rule book. It was not SASS legal.

The solution is simple, read the entire rule before you buy.

Regards,

Allie Mo

The solution is simple, read the entire rule before you buy.

That certainly bears repeating.

(way mo' betta than my New Year's resolution to start answering "WtC?"s with "RTM...apply as needed") ;)

THNX, AM!

:wub:

Hi Lone Dog,

"Magazine pouches must be worn vertical and conform to the shooter's body. (.ie., not tilt out from the shooter's body)." The magazine holder did not conform to the shooters body as the magazines were held with the narrow edge next to the body and tilted out from the shooter's body.

Regards,

Allie "who knows that was a 'trick question'" Mo

If that top strip of leather tips the shells out from the belt (FWIW - there is no "minimum" allowable angle)

...then it is ILLEGAL.

Fair warning...there are many "innovative" ammo carry systems (and other equipments) on the market & out on the range.

Some are NOT LEGAL for SASS-rules competition...& just because no one has said anything at a local monthly/State/Regional/&tc match doesn't mean that they will pass muster at higher-level match.

Thank you I will remove the leather!

Examine the equipment and apply the rule appropriately "as written".

Does it comply with the regulations? Then it is (probably) OK.

If it does NOT...then either modify it or quit using it for CAS matches.

Ref the belly button rule... Had a pard, not a cowboy shooter, who had surgery as a child and the result was no belly button.. He was a former Army Ranger and extremely proficient tactical police officer. By the rules he could have worn a shotgun belt up to his armpits and I would pay good money to see someone call him on it. Knowing the guy as I did he probably would have let someone do so but they'd have to buy him at least lunch first.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/ebrahl/67f1ccba66cda9016e855ac9edd16adb.jpg

So is this belt not legal with the leather strip on top? I got this at a major match.

B4 I remove the leather in question if PWB could comment?

EMN

Not so blame funny, that belt came from Russ Carver an 75% of NC shooters wear it an probably 40 % of eastern shooters wear it. I have worn out 4 ofv them in 12 years an now its illegal? I still have tha very first one he eva made.

I now shoot a model with elastic loops an a leather roll at tha top an it is legal HA HA you've gotta be kidding

2014 gonna be a great year for SASS

RRR

Dear RRR,

You know I admire you. Or, at least, I hope you know this.

Just because someone sold something and many someones have worn the something doesn't mean it was ever legal.

BTW, elastic is period correct and fits within the rules. Leather roll at the top...not so sure.

:wub:

AM

A Round shooter has a SASS-legal contour... he has the advantage of pushing the hulls out naturally for an easier grab...the disadvantage is you can't see them anyway 'cause of the roundness!

:blush:

fumble...fumble...fumble

:blink:

Not so blame funny, that belt came from Russ Carver an 75% of NC shooters wear it an probably 40 % of eastern shooters wear it. I have worn out 4 ofv them in 12 years an now its illegal? I still have tha very first one he eva made.

I now shoot a model with elastic loops an a leather roll at tha top an it is legal HA HA you've gotta be kidding

2014 gonna be a great year for SASS

RRR

...then it is ILLEGAL.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

And it isn't SUDDENLY illegal. It has been illegal since the inception.

Apply the word if and IF it fits then maybe 75% of you local shooters are not in compliance.

This also applys to holster that are designed to exceed the 30 degree rule which you will find common out west.

Just because someone that looks like a cowboy vendor makes it doesn't make it legal.

When someone tells you that something is SASS approved then please ask to see the paperwork where they submitted it for approval and it came back with the OK seal!

Trouble is I myself took it to San Quinton before I paid for it an ask of it legality. At that time he was an still would be if he shot now, the most knowledgeable SASS person on tha east coast! The only question anyone had was about the shell loops being cut down in front. Oh well its not my fight to fight, dont shoot it anylonger. but I'd say thousands do.

No disrespect ment for anyone but

The rules get brought up here weekly an beat to a foam, and 80% of SASS never sees or hears of if.

We leave for St Augustine FL next week for the SEIGE wonder how many will arrive with Illegal SG belts after driving 1000 miles. THATS SAD

RRR

Hello Persimmon Dan,

Are you also the proprietor or an employee at Murphy Custom Gun Leather? If so, you should contact the Wild Bunch (owners, board of directors) or RO Committee and request a rule change, if you wish to sell these SG shell holders as SASS legal.

Regards,

Allie Mo

...then it is ILLEGAL.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

And it isn't SUDDENLY illegal. It has been illegal since the inception.

Apply the word if and IF it fits then maybe 75% of you local shooters are not in compliance.

This also applys to holster that are designed to exceed the 30 degree rule which you will find common out west.

Just because someone that looks like a cowboy vendor makes it doesn't make it legal.

When someone tells you that something is SASS approved then please ask to see the paperwork where they submitted it for approval and it came back with the OK seal!

Friend the OK seal was given close to 12 years ago. There was no formal paperwork as I recall. If San Quinton called it OK it was and still purdy much would be today. He was as honest toward competition as anyone I've known.

RRR

There will be a number of people who remember the fracas over the contured belts years ago. Nothing was ever done about it. Some clubs tried to "enforce" it but no rule was ever put in place other than what is on the books. And this is about as nonsensical.

In 2007 I won the Silver Senior World wearing a Russ Carver. A very good belt by the way. Let me know and I will send you the buckle and staute back to the Wild Bunch. And I will pay the shipping. If this bunch of subjective nitpicking crap continues and ROs over the US declare this belt and many other belts like it illegal, you will have many cowpokes getting upset.

14-15 years of blissful ignorance.

Allie Moe, when a craftsman such as The Carver makes this belt he did NOT have any cheating in mind. Russ does beautiful leather work and his rigs are not really speed demons but very functional. Back then his INTENT was a good shotgun belt. To declare it illegal now is absurd. I must say your dismissal of the belt is rather cavalier. No big deal. Go buy another one.

There needs to be a rule put in place that if a piece of leather is worn for over fourteen years, it cannot be deemed illegal.

Some folks take a Holier-than-thou attitude towards those that ARE and HAVE BEEN well respected within this game for a LONG time. Implying that these wonderful SASS members are anything less then high integrity folks...well...kinda pisses me off.

Sorry Allie...but I be a little mad.

:blush:

Slow your roll boys. Palewolf said lIF" it tilted the shells away from the body. Hard to tell from a picture and I doubt you could tell the difference with or without that piece of thin leather on the belt.

Stan - who apparently has shot with hundreds of folks over the years that wear this belt and never once noticed shells tilting away from their bodies.

this is gonna make the "jeans" issue look like a cakewalk!

I've got a belt that I wore when I was heavier, now if i wear it, it tilts out,, so tha's illegal?

In truth the leather does very little as far as tilt but in Palewolf's post it said there is no minimum allowable angle. I for one will remove the leather strip. Lots of people shoot with this belt and I have never seen nor do I believe it would be called. I will not knowingly break the rules.

If it later gets approved easy enough to put it back on.

Thanks

EMN

Trouble is I myself took it to San Quinton before I paid for it an ask of it legality. At that time he was an still would be if he shot now, the most knowledgeable SASS person on tha east coast! The only question anyone had was about the shell loops being cut down in front. Oh well its not my fight to fight, dont shoot it anylonger. but I'd say thousands do.

No disrespect ment for anyone but

The rules get brought up here weekly an beat to a foam, and 80% of SASS never sees or hears of if.

We leave for St Augustine FL next week for the SEIGE wonder how many will arrive with Illegal SG belts after driving 1000 miles. THATS SAD

RRR

Yep. I was standing there when you asked. Robin looked at the belt very closely and saw no issues.

Russ Carver put the leather strip at the top of his canvas belts to reinforce the top edge. The leather is 4/5 ounce and not much thicker than the rim of the shell base. I can't look at one and tell that it pushes the shell out at an angle. People have worn this belt for years at WR and EOT and never been called. IMHO it is not illegal and I, for one, wouldn't call it no matter where I was shooting any more than I would call someone whose body contour pushed the shells out at an angle that could be perceived as a competitive advantage.

AM, thanks for the expanding clarification on the mag holders. I remember when those "sideways" thingamajigs were pictured here. Ruling those illegal was a no-brainer. Don't know why you thought it was a "trick" question. It was not. I'm sure others were wondering as well and nothing in your post indicated you were referring to those.

IF the leather is thin enough to function solely as a "pressure/friction strip" to keep the SG ammo from falling out of the cut-down loops, then there shouldn't be a problem.

IF the current rule was in place when SQ (who is also on the ROC, BTW) examined & approved a particular piece of equipment as being within the written regs, then that should be the end of the discussion...as long as that equipment hasn't been "improved" beyond the limit of the rule (or the "spirit" of the rule) since being accepted as legal for competition.

Adding a THICKER strip of leather for the express purpose of angling the ammo away from the shooter's body would be in violation...that is the qualifier that I meant by the "IF" in the earlier post.

...so y'all can put away the rope.

HMMM, sometimes its better not to ask. Red Cent, at least one big name vendor markets the reverse contour belt and has for years, ever since that 'fracas'. At the time I understood that it was declared illegal 'on the WIRE' when shown on the big name star shooter wearing it BUT nothing changed? As to the strip, when I asked unofficial like, the suggestion was made that it was added to increase retention when the shell loops were loose. Didnt make since BUT whatever.

That leather on top does look thin.

And don't think that it's purpose is to hold shells away from the body.

Sure don't think it would do it enough to get a call made on it.

But I have been wrong before. As I thought moving the tip of a trigger

less than 1/16 of a inch was legal also. Thank goodness it is now.

don't see anyway to make a call on that belt without seeing it on someone.

And being that many have been wearing it and nobody noticed or even thought to

call it. Shows that it really must not push the shells out.

Dang, and I had gone out and bought a new rope!

Dang, and I had gone out and bought a new rope!

around here best bet is to take old rope off of a dead horse! That way, nobody can complain about being hung with a new rope :D

Glad we have something else to argue about. And if anybody wants to check my belly button height, you have to buy me dinner first!

Archived