SASS Wire Forum

A question about the number of stages at a shoot 10 or 12?

Korupt Karl

Have never shot a match where you break for lunch, by the time I sit down, getting back up is not easy. Don't know if a break in the middle would change that or not. But when in Rome, do as the Roman's do, then you can speak from experience.

I like 12....shoot 3 break fer lunch then shoot 3 more. Do it all again on the 2nd day. I come to shoot!! ;) Rye

A very real problem is that a LOT of people don't like taking a break for lunch. It's OK for a club match, but during big matches people do not like to loose their rhythm stopping for lunch. The shoot 3, eat lunch, then shoot 3 more also only works if there is one wave.

I think the Hoosier Ambush was a perfect setup. Saturday 6 stages and Sunday 4 stages. There wasn't much down time Saturday due to the man on man between the match and the banquet. My vote is keep it the same.

+1 a well run 10 stage match like the one we just had worked great had plenty of time on Sun. to drive home.

I can tell you this.

ANY club that I have any sway over will not be breaking for lunch with any main match shooting being left to do.

As to 10 stages or 12 stages - I am in the more the merrier camp, but you also have to be realistic to your shooters and your match conditions.

Our spring annual "Best Shoot By A Dam Site" is a 10 stage match.

But because for that event we are restricted to having only 5 bays available to shoot on,

So we shoot 5 Saturday and 5 Sunday. Requiring a little steel movement and re arranging after the Saturdays stages are completed..

Eldorado is shot on another portion of our range where we have sufficient bays to set up all 12 stages.

Eldorado also offers a three stage warmup match, team, couples and man on man stages - plus if the shooter ends up in the top 20, "The Invitation to a Gunfight Stage". A shooter could feasibly end up shooting 19 stages during the event PLUS all side matches, cowboy clays and Shotgun Challenge.

There comes a point where inserting any more stages could be problematic.

The hardest part of a match for most is just showing up. Expense of travel, room, meals, etc. After I get to the match I'll shoot as many stages as possible in a day. When we spend alot of time and money going to a match we want to be tired of shooting for a few days afterward. We use to call the "Seige at San Juan" the "San Juan Death March", 8-9 stages a day for two days, side matches, plus the Seige. That was back in 98. Have not seen a match where we stopped for lunch in several years. I reckon it really depends on the condition of the shooter as to how many stages they can shoot in a day,

Assassin

If I am traveling, I like the idea of shooting 12 stages, but only if they are well thought out and there is still time to visit the vendors, or the vendors will be frustrated and not support the match the next time. I don't mind a short break for lunch, but not a long one. It gives me a chance to recharge, but a long lunch break and I would be ready for a nap

As to lunch breaks, if you have a food vendor that can handle a good sized crowd, it isn't really a problem. Break for lunch in stages and see that all of your posses do stop for a set amount of time.

All of your vendors will appreciate it, and many of your shooters need to for health reasons. As long as it's the same for everyone......................

A long break isn't good for all of the same reasons mentioned by folks in previous posts. It's bad for the shooters and the workers as well.

Breaking for lunch is fine for a social monthly, but a 10 or 12 stage main match needs to be shot through! I have started avoiding clubs and shoots that insist on stopping after 2 or 3 stages. Especially tbose that start later than 9. One that starts with their monthly meeting at the crack of 12 then 'tries' to get 4 stages done by 4p.

Around these parts west the heat and/ or the tstorms own the afternoons as well.

Would like to shoot 12 in winter and 10 in summer. A big majority of cowboys/girls have a real problem with

the heat and 10 stages is about their limit .... for sure in summer time. Also gives more folks time needed

to get back home for jobs and family.

....crosscut

It all comes down to personal preference. And remember, you can't please everyone.

For me:

- A 12 stage annual with 6 of Friday and 6 on Saturday. And have all awards on Saturday night. I HAVE to get back on the road as early as possible on Sunday. Those of us who work have to take time off for these event....dontchya' know.

- At a monthly, 5 or 6 is fine as long as we're done by 12:30 to allow for lunch. My blood sugar gets low and find a lot of shooters are missing targets and getting "confused" if the shoot goes long.

And this is just me.

EC

I may be the only one my age that feels this way.Give me 12 or more.I just want to shoot.The more the better.Hot or cold.

I got IT!

We can turn this is to category shooting Stages.

Over 60 shoot 10 and under 60 shoot 12+.

;^)

As long as no one is gonna check IDs I want 12......and no break for lunch please :D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

At our annual match we shot 4 stages on Sat and 3 on Sun, both days we had an additionnal side match and we do break about 40 minutes for lunch.

The side matches allows for the tallying of the score so we can present awards before shooters head out. We do want to make sure that people that have a long ways to go can be on the road early enough.

We don't have a very large group yet so this works well for us, as well we only have 2 bay to work with so that limits us on the options. We do the best we can with what we have and we have fun. Some day I'm sure we'll be better set up.

Frenchy

OK My worthless three cents worth. I'm 70 I live in Texas where it gets a weeeeeeee bit hot. I shoot BP in the summer. It seems we can shoot 6 stages per day on a two day monthly but when it comes to an annual or above we can only shoot 5 per day. Why I Don't have a clue.

Most of the time when we shoot 6 stages we are finished by 12:30- 1:30 with 15 on a Posse . Plenty of time to do whatever. It always seems that at the 3-4 day shoots there is a lot of down time during the day with 10 stages.

GIVE ME AT LEAST 12 STAGES I have not been to any State or above match in TX, LA, MO, or VA that had 12 stages.

A break for lunch sucks.

My own self I prefer 12 stages , after all I'm here to shoot.....As far as the state match in Ohio, By far it will remain 12 stages. I'm getting about 19 yeys to the 1 single nay. And no lunch break...,although I have had a couple vendors deny an invite due to lack of lunch break. But the majority of shooters don't want a lunch break.

My own self I prefer 12 stages , after all I'm here to shoot.....As far as the state match in Ohio, By far it will remain 12 stages. I'm getting about 19 yeys to the 1 single nay. And no lunch break...,although I have had a couple vendors deny an invite due to lack of lunch break. But the majority of shooters don't want a lunch break.

Good for you. I wish that the few State and Regional matches that I go to would do the same. We pay big bucks to shoot. SO lets shoot

More is better with me. When I first started my clubs annual was 16 stages. 8 per day. I loved it. Trailhead used to have 14 stages. Was full up with over 300 shooters and more waiting. Now they're down to 10 stages, with a little over 100 shooters. Hmmm. Wonder if there's any connection?

More is better with me. When I first started my clubs annual was 16 stages. 8 per day. I loved it. Trailhead used to have 14 stages. Was full up with over 300 shooters and more waiting. Now they're down to 10 stages, with a little over 100 shooters. Hmmm. Wonder if there's any connection?

Tell,

As you know I have shot that match for quite a few years. You have to remember the Club Match Directors and the Board know more about what the shooters want than the shooters know.

Must be why we vote with our feet. I guess we the customer don't know anything what a shame.

I'm finding it harder and harder to justify loading all my gear and traveling 2,3,4,6,20 hours for a 4 stage monthly or a 10 stage annual or above. Sorry, just me, but when I load it all up and drive my butt sore; spend the $$ on diesel, rooms, meals.....all that costs the same....

Give me 12...or I'm on the fence about making the trip....just sayin'.... watchin' cash now closer than I have had to since 2008-09. So, I'm sure that my bias is showing.

if the brother wants 12

then give me 13

:-)

Roswell, NM in August 12 stages @ 105 degree's, really looking forward to that.

Yea but it's a dry heat :D Come to Texas with 100f and 95% humidity. We will show you heat :(:(

Heee Haaaa .. Just got back from Gunsmoke.. :P 12 stages of pure FUN.. :) 6 fri./6sat.. Possees large enough so shooters could go to the venders.. ;) plus eat all they want.. :P Awesome Match..

Heee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :blink::blink::FlagAm:

Archived