SASS Wire Forum

swapping guns mid stream?

Noah Cash

Hilda asked me a question last night and I am not sure of the correct answer.

Shooter has two shotguns / rifles / pair of pistols, (whatever, really dosent't matter ) wanting to try both for a match. Shooter is NOT worried about speed, and is looking for the learning experience and practice to try out a new gun during a match.

Is it ok to use fer instance a SXS on one stage and a '97 on the next stage of the same match, then back to the SXS for another stage? Is mixin and matching for the match ok?

I told her I thought it was ok, and as long as all loading and unloading procedures were used it shouldn't make any difference at all. Was I correct?

Thanks fer the advise guys and gals.

You can use what you brought.It don't matter,Unless she is shooting like B western or maybe Classic Cowgirl.

Hilda asked me a question last night and I am not sure of the correct answer.

Shooter has two shotguns / rifles / pair of pistols, (whatever, really dosent't matter ) wanting to try both for a match. Shooter is NOT worried about speed, and is looking for the learning experience and practice to try out a new gun during a match.

Is it ok to use fer instance a SXS on one stage and a '97 on the next stage of the same match, then back to the SXS for another stage? Is mixin and matching for the match ok?

I told her I thought it was ok, and as long as all loading and unloading procedures were used it shouldn't make any difference at all. Was I correct?

Thanks fer the advise guys and gals.

As long as the guns used are legal for the category you are shooting in, you can change guns at every stage if you so choose.

Example: In an age based category ALL SASS legal guns are OK to be used, so you could use any of them in any stage you chose to.

RBK

I once shot a ten stage match where I used ten rifles, ten shotguns, and twenty pistols! One of the most fun matches I can remember!! Never used the same gun twice!! :lol::P;)

You can use what you brought.It don't matter,Unless she is shooting like B western or maybe Classic Cowgirl.

You don't even to have to have brought it to the match. It could be loaned to you or whatever. Really helpful for new pards trying out things, or being loaned something in case of broken equipment.

Thanks,

Thats what I thought but wanter to be sure.

We are looking at a '97 for her and she was trying both out at a local match this weekend. She likes the '97 too, after powdering a pair of flyers in a row.

I once shot a ten stage match where I used ten rifles, ten shotguns, and twenty pistols! One of the most fun matches I can remember!! Never used the same gun twice!! :lol::P;)

Dang!!!!

I want to see your gunsafe.

Less of course, you're pullin' my leg. ^_^

EC

I do it all the time. One match, I alternated from stage to stage between my Spencer, my '73 and my Lightning, and between my SxS and my '87. Next day, I switched from Schofields to opentops. A whole new world opens up, once you decide to forget about the timer.

Dang!!!!

I want to see your gunsafe.

Less of course, you're pullin' my leg. ^_^

EC

We don't have gun safes in the South. We got Gun Vaults and basement armories.

:)

..........Widder

Shux, I remember the first few times I saw Schofields being used. They were just being used to shoot stages that required full reloads on the clock. There were actually a few threads popping up on here complaining about such in those days.

Done it with shotguns a time or two.

Also have been known to change shooting styles stage to stage shooting in age base category you can shoot any style except gunfighter. And you can even shoot gunfighter if you are willing to take the P for shooting out of category. And I have done that too!

How long did it take to clean all those guns after the match!? Hats off to you. :)

Tornado....I'd keep ma hat on if'n I was you. Blackwater Desperado happens to be a hat vendor and if'n ya take yore hat off 'round him he might'n jest shove a new one on yore head and charge ya fer it :lol::D

We use to have a shooter here in Pennsyltuckey who would shoot a match with enough Rifles, Pistols and Shotguns, that he never used the same gun twice. Haven't see him in a couple of years now. Really fun guy to posse with. Hauled all the guns around in a little red wagon.

Coffinmaker

Some of the better shooters in the game will tell you this is a VERY good idea. Some stages lend themselves to being shot with a '97, others are better suited to being shot with a SxS. Get good with both and use whichever one is best for the particular stage you're shooting. ;)

Some of the better shooters in the game will tell you this is a VERY good idea. Some stages lend themselves to being shot with a '97, others are better suited to being shot with a SxS. Get good with both and use whichever one is best for the particular stage you're shooting. ;)

I am certainly not a top shooter, but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night and have never seen a top shooter do this.

I used to bring a lot of extras to shoots, but not so much anymore....that being said I took my 97 and my double to the shoot Sat. I realized very quickly that if I plan on shooting the double I need to watch Duece's video a few more times and invest some more time practicing....lol.

Go and enjoy.

KK

I do it all the time. One match, I alternated from stage to stage between my Spencer, my '73 and my Lightning, and between my SxS and my '87. Next day, I switched from Schofields to opentops. A whole new world opens up, once you decide to forget about the timer.

+1, but you really don't have to forget about the timer altogether. I can always compete with myself for tranistion and movement efficiency, shoot order (headwork), hits (including clean match) and time, if I want to. It is up to each of us, and it is fun any way you chose!

Also, some stages lend themselves better to some guns - good future knowledge and experience when I want to seriously compete for a category at a particular event when the urge hits me. Sometimes I like "handicapping" myslef by shooting the "allegedly" less capable gun jsut because it is FUN and then seeing how ya stack up. I often shoot FC with C&B, for example, and sometimes with hammered SxS, as well.

It's all fun, no matter how competitive (or not) you want to be - one of the things I really like about this game!

Harvey

At multi-day shoots I'm getting lazy and don't want to clean BP after a day's shooting. So, I just shoot another set of guns. When I get home I have three sets of guns to clean, but it is a more pleasant job in my garage that sitting outside the RV is the wind, dust or rain trying to clean guns. I'd rather spend the time napping or visiting people.

+1, I was going to mention this, happened at the Tennessee State Championship, but Blackwater beat me to it. As I recall he had lots of fun.

Randy

Shot a warm-up 4 stage match using a different rifle for each stage ,,,,,,,,,,,,a 66, 92, Marlin 94 and a Winchester Trails End 94....

For sidearms I used a 58 Remmie, a Birdshead Uberti Cattleman (51/2), a Cattleman with standard grips and a NRV......

And two different SxS guns ...

It was Fun !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Archived