SASS Wire Forum

Police Officer in Hot Water

DocWard

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/02/indiana-police-officer-reportedly-too-distraught-to-kill-wounded-deer-handed/

An Indiana police officer is in hot water after he allegedly handed his gun to a stranger because he didn’t have it in him to put a badly injured young deer out of its misery.

The incident occurred Saturday in the front of Jerry Anderson’s home in Richmond, according to the Indianapolis Star. Anderson said a young driver struck the deer during an accident on Chester Boulevard, leaving it severely injured. A crowd gathered at the scene, and the police officer, who was not named, responded.

Anderson said he went inside his home to get his own pistol to euthanize the deer, but was surprised to find someone else preparing to shoot the animal — with the police officer's gun.

“I went inside to get my gun, and when I came out, my wife told me that [the officer] said he couldn’t do it,” Anderson said. “She said he had tears in his eyes, and he handed his gun to a stranger — his loaded gun.”

(continues)

My female sector partner once asked me to put down a wounded deer so she wouldn't have to. The difference is, we are both police officers. I used an issued 12 gauge with slugs, and had cleared it with a Sergeant first, and had maneuvered around so there was a backstop behind the deer (I work in a city!).

One memo explaining the discharge of the gun, a call to the Division of Wildlife, and I was done.

While I can respect the officer's feelings, that was really stupid. Who knows what the stranger would do or if he had mental or other problems, and you never hand your gun loaded to a stranger. My daughter won't even allow someone to handle her water pistol without asking us (we don't differentiate among guns in our house, and she has been taught from a young age that guns are a lot of fun, but they are tools, not toys). He deserves some time off to think abut how bad that could have gone

Bad decision. He'll need some remedial training.

I respectfully suggest if the officer is unable to put down a wounded deer, he may want to reconsider if a law enforcement career is the correct choice. If he can't shoot the wounded deer, is he going to be able to pull the trigger on a person? Will he be able to pull the trigger to save another officer or a person in a hostage situation?

Not everyone is cut out for a career in law enforcement and I recognize that I am one of those people.

City of Kansas City Missouri cops put down around 300 deer a year. A lot of slugs. Drag deer to safe firing location, notify Sgt. who responds OK's shooting. Notify dispatcher when shot is fired for folks calling in about shots being fired. Notify clean up crew, respond to station to file reports. Probably why officer crying :o Puts an officer out of service for at least one hour because of these critters. Folks stop by to help and ya gotta explain it's not legal to kill an animal within the city limits. Even an officer has to get permission from supervisor to fire shot to dispatch animal. But, I would say this officer made a #1 mistake giving his weapon up. Bad decision, very bad.

Always fun to see female officer shoot a deer with the 12ga slug. Usually takes a few shots to get it done, and the tears, cracks me up as much as watching the recoil on the poor gal.

I found out that one of my female officers was squeemish about shooting injured deer. She was calling in other officers to do the deed. After questioning her, I learned that she wasn't sure where to shoot the deer and didn't want to screw it up. I gave her a quick lesson and then told the Sergeants that all injured deer calls go her until further notice. Pretty soon, she was known as one shot, one kill.

We shoot a lot of deer that get hit by cars. It's just a one page use of force report turned in at the end of shift.

In the minority here. Here most citizens support the police and finding a good ole boy to finish off a deer hardly poses a risk to the officer. But then again we have both concealed carry and open carry laws and new laws that just went into effect expanding the buildings, including Government, we can pack iron in.

An hour out of service to shoot a deer??? Dispatch calls me, gives location of deer, I pull deer off roadway wait for traffic lull. Put one 45acp base of neck where spine and skull meet. Get in cruiser, tell dispatch where carcass is for pick up. Less than 5 minutes. If I took an hour on a deer struck call, the guys would buy me a milk stool.

What a weenie! He must have seen the movie "BAMBI" once too many times! :D

Rye

I dunno, eating a movie doesn't sound all that appetizing to me....I think I'll stick with the hamburgers that are on the grill..... :P

I dunno, eating a movie doesn't sound all that appetizing to me....I think I'll stick with the hamburgers that are on the grill..... :P

Grooooaaaannn..................hey Mary don't quit yer day job! :lol:

Whut? The burgers turned out really good, and much easier to chew... :P

Bambi burgers??? I had a Bubba Burger yesterday!! :)

A buddy of mine dispatched a downed deer several years ago with his Buck knife. Police officer was calling in to get permission to shoot the deer when my buddy told him he could take care of the animal with his knife. Officer said, "Go ahead," so my buddy slit the deer's jugular quick and painless.

Hey! Leave Bambi outta this...... :P And Thumper too!

Bambi...... Thumper?? Is it supper time already?

Bambi burgers??? I had a Bubba Burger yesterday!! :)

Gone cannibal on us? And why did you kill a bubba?

yes, it is....would you like a nice fresh salad??

Greens getting sassy at you again, Mary?

It's ok....I taught that pesky lettuce a lesson it ain't gonna soon fergit!!!

Speaking of fergitting, I need to quit fergittin' to take the meat out fer the stroganoff....

Gone cannibal on us? And why did you kill a bubba?

He was on my lawn!!!! :P

So your gonna be hard on this guy for what he did, what about those that violate our rights and get off scott free? Those are the ones that should be hung from the neck until dead....after a fair trial. :ph34r:

Yep string them up, especially if your heard about the "violation" from our wonderful news media, you know their guilty then!!!

I just love getting ready for work everyday knowing I'm getting rich, while eating my donuts, drinking the free coffee I steal from the convienient stores, while avoind "real" calls for help, letting the real bad guys get away, just so I can violate some innocents rights everyday! :wacko::blink: Give me a break!

You people who bash cops after hearing the crap in the mainstream news need to lace up your boots, strap on yor gun, and walk the beat instead of running your mouths.I'm tired of hearing, Well I couldn't do the job, but the cop shoulda done it this way....

99% of the LEO's get it right 99% of the time and still get bashed for doing their job. the minute amount the do mess up are so blown up by the media it's sickening. LEO's are human and do make mistakes. They get enough grief from their administrations and the news media without people like you propigating it further.

So until you take a shift in our boots and see what it's truly like stop couch quarterbacking.

JEL

Yep string them up, especially if your heard about the "violation" from our wonderful news media, you know their guilty then!!!

I just love getting ready for work everyday knowing I'm getting rich, while eating my donuts, drinking the free coffee I steal from the convienient stores, while avoind "real" calls for help, letting the real bad guys get away, just so I can violate some innocents rights everyday! :wacko::blink: Give me a break!

You people who bash cops after hearing the crap in the mainstream news need to lace up your boots, strap on yor gun, and walk the beat instead of running your mouths.I'm tired of hearing, Well I couldn't do the job, but the cop shoulda done it this way....

99% of the LEO's get it right 99% of the time and still get bashed for doing their job. the minute amount the do mess up are so blown up by the media it's sickening. LEO's are human and do make mistakes. They get enough grief from their administrations and the news media without people like you propigating it further.

So until you take a shift in our boots and see what it's truly like stop couch quarterbacking.

JEL

Sounds like you need to get a job at Walmart. Stop violating our Rights or get another job

Yep John, don't bother to feed the troll.

WOW. Somebody post a tread about a dumb ass giving up his loaded firearm to a stranger (which all 3 of you know it is a no no) and you guys turn it into cop bashing. John E Law, you are the one who turned it into cop bashing. Most the people who responded were cop and how they or their department handle it or what would happen. Then it turns into don't feed the trolls when somebody speaks against you

WOW. Somebody post a tread about a dumb ass giving up his loaded firearm to a stranger (which all 3 of you know it is a no no) and you guys turn it into cop bashing. John E Law, you are the one who turned it into cop bashing. Most the people who responded were cop and how they or their department handle it or what would happen. Then it turns into don't feed the trolls when somebody speaks against you

Um, I think you should read/re-read Savey Jack's #24 post again. "Hung from the neck until dead?!?!?" Because of crap you read on the Internet??? Get real! He's the one who turned it from a lame brain move into a "violating people's rights issue".

And you never saw me call anyone anything. I said if you want to bitch about the way LEO's do their jobs, and yes we do make mistakes, then get your ass out there on the line and show us how it's done. It's easy to second guess from the safety on your computer desk isn't it??

And for the record the officer should in no way have given his firearm to anyone but that's for his agency to deal with NOT the lame stream media or you!!

JEL

I'm gonna go get a beer.

Sounds like you need to get a job at Walmart. Stop violating our Rights or get another job

Um, I was being facetious.

Quote- I bet you work unconstitutional road blocks too huh?

Actually I prefer saturation patrols. Less restrictions = more arrested drunks :-)

JEL

Archived