SASS Wire Forum

what is best dog to get for kids

Trigger Mike

You have been watching 'way too many Walt Disney movies.

Do not rely on a pet dog to protect your kids from rattlesnakes.

Please.

Please.

That's for sure!

Dogs will chase a snake to play with it. Then the dog will die a very painfull death because of snakebite.

Please.

What J-Bar sez is cold hard fact!

LG

Jack Russel Terriers.

Better known as Clowns in a Dog Suit. Are absolutely fearless, LOVES kids, act like premanent 5 year old children, and will take on just about anything including snakes.

I have a male JRT that hates snakes. He has the ability and quickness to grab a snake, shake it violently several times, drop it to see how much fight it still has in it and while the snake's eyeballs are still rolling around inside it's head, pick it up again and keep shaking it until it is dead. Get two them and they will tag team it.

Prairie rattlers are a serious threat where I live. A adult lady died from the bite of a Prairie Rattler not far from us a few years ago and are considered a serious health threat by Doctors. In fact the 12" one are more toxic than bigger ones.

The only problem is he kills all snakes, including the harmless ones. I have spend a lot of time trying to teach him the difference between harmless snakes and rattlers but he still has this attitude that the only snake is a dead snake. :(

Jack Russel Terriers.

Better known as Clowns in a Dog Suit. Are absolutely fearless, LOVES kids, act like premanent 5 year old children, and will take on just about anything including snakes.

I have a male JRT that hates snakes. He has the ability and quickness to grab a snake, shake it violently several times, drop it to see how much fight it still has in it and while the snake's eyeballs are still rolling around inside it's head, pick it up again and keep shaking it until it is dead. Get two them and they will tag team it.

Prairie rattlers are a serious threat where I live. A adult lady died from the bite of a Prairie Rattler not far from us a few years ago and are considered a serious health threat by Doctors. In fact the 12" one are more toxic than bigger ones.

The only problem is he kills all snakes, including the harmless ones. I have spend a lot of time trying to teach him the difference between harmless snakes and rattlers but he still has this attitude that the only snake is a dead snake. :(

Lol!

We have two and so do my parents, I watched my mom and dad's pair kill a big woodchuck. And they did tag team it. One would bark at it and stay just out of reach then the other would bite the chuck on the rear. When it would spin, the other would bite it in the rear. They kept that critter running in circles until it was exhausted.

When the woodchuck slowed down one of the Jacks when for the throat. Those little dogs are smart as a whip.

Jay

RE: Jack Russells. Must be kept in multiples. One will destroy a house easily. Two or three will entertain each other with little or no damage.

Adopt a good mutt from the pound, what ever you get make sure to have them snake trained. Most areas that have rattlesnakes will offer it. They take a live snake with it s jaws taped and when the dog gets near it they hit him wth a shock collar, that way the dog knows what a snake smells like, sounds like and looks like and will stay way. As far as snake around the house, get some nasty outside cats, feed them enough to keep them around but still a bit hungry, they will keep the mice population down and food source for snakes, they wil also kill snakes around.

I've had a lot of dogs over the years and the best kind is the one you own. Springers will always be a willing playmate to the kids. Goldens are even tempered and loyal. Mixed breeds are all of the above. Pitt bulls to chauauwas I've seen them all put themselves between danger and their family. Pick the size of dog you want make them one of the family and you will be rewarded with total loyality unto death.

Bugs

That's kinda like asking, "Which makes the best wife....blondes, brunettes, or redheads?" Like Bugs says, the best kind of dog is the one you own. I've always been partial to stock dogs, i.e. Border collies or Kelpies, but I've also owned Labs, Springers, terriers, and one German Shepherd. Currently, along with our Border collie, we also have a young Plott hound...North Carolina's state dog. They were originally bred to be the "all around" homestead dog...great family dog, stock dog, hunting dog, watch dog. And so far, she seems to be living up to that reputation.

I sure don't want to throw water on your expectations, but I wouldn't count on having your dog, no matter what breed, rescue the kids from an Eastern Diamondback. I always thought it was kinda farfetched, too, when Lassie would bark and Timmy's folks would say, "What is it, Lassie? What? Timmy has fallen down the ol' mineshaft?" I've had an awful lot of great dogs in my lifetime, but none of them have been that good.

iF YOU WANT A SNAKE KILLER, GET A PIG!!

Seriously, a pig will rid you of snakes and is immune to most known snake venoms. I've seen a hog eat three snakes in a day. All of them bit him and he just pawed and chewed them like twizzlers!! :wacko::lol:

You couldn't touch my wife or son when we had Dalmations, and my big male killed several snakes too.

RE: Jack Russells. Must be kept in multiples. One will destroy a house easily. Two or three will entertain each other with little or no damage.

Two is the ideal number. More than that and they take up too much room in bed. -_- But what do I know? :huh: At one time we had 16 of them (we were breeders at the time). :o

Labs and Golden retrievers are the world's best family dogs, and can be taught to retrive game birds. Had a lab for 14 years. Great kid dog. Not terribly smart though. Goldens are smarter. Other breeds are good too, but my experience is with labs/Goldens. O'Meara's Wilderness Rule 2: There ain't any such thing as a non-poisonous snake! Snakes are ugly and deserve to die. My Grandpa in San Angelo TX never went anywhere without a bottle of snake bite medicine. And a snake.

The O'Meara Himself

I've got a Beagle mix that is probably part terrier too. Smells it's way to a critter an then starts bouncin on her hind legs into the brush and ferns. Dambdest thing to see. Loves to hunt turkeys. Plays with porkies tho..... God help anything that comes for momma or the kids. Pretty mild mannered 'till a threat appears. I'm big on Beagles. DO NOT get just one JR terrier. There is nothin so dangerous to your pssessions than a bored horse or Jack Russell!!!

for Protection German Shepherd, that dog is so loyal, and will be very protective when it comes to kids. they 'll follow them everywhere they go , but I don't think they can stop a snake bite- You need a Mongoose, they eat snakes like doggy snacks.

I second the Pit bull terrier, we help run a rescue here, best, most loving dogs in the world...raise em right, they will be your best friend till they pass. I would trust my Petey or Lila with ank kid of any age....no matter the breed, full blood or a gool ole mutt, tons of rescues everywhere for every breed...they need homes. Unconditional love, yup, thats the deal.

ifn I get goats and chickens and a calf will jack russells or labs mix well with them? heard tell a mule will keep the coyotres away from the goats

They have goats up on the grassy banks of Buford Dam. Too steep to mow. The yotes started killing the goats several years back. The Army Corps of Engineers put a donkey up there with the goats. No more problems with the yotes. Pretty smart for a bunch of slide rule geeks if ya ask me.

I second the Pit bull terrier, we help run a rescue here, best, most loving dogs in the world...raise em right, they will be your best friend till they pass. I would trust my Petey or Lila with ank kid of any age....no matter the breed, full blood or a gool ole mutt, tons of rescues everywhere for every breed...they need homes. Unconditional love, yup, thats the deal.

Yup...our Rosie (APBT) was an abandoned 6 month old. She has been a great addition to our family and is very protective and alert.

GG

Have seen dogs that after learning the game never got bit afterwards and became proficient snake killers. Others don't learn so well. I had a dachshund that could dodge the fastest strike and then have snake parts slung every which way (BTW, you have to learn to duck!!!!! or get hell out of the way). Ole Herr Rudolph never got bit.

A friend has a lightning fast Jackrat that still gets popped every once in a while.

My first german shorthair seemed to stay bit.

They are all different...you gets em and takes your chances.

I'd go with the beagle too....my friend's beagle is a sniffing', hunting', machine! She has no fear of anything! Chases deer out of the yard, go after anything that moves! Of course we have no rattlers here in Ohio.

:) Rye

Archived