SASS Wire Forum

Target size

Charlie Whiskers

I shoot at one Club that uses Oil-Field pipes (6, 8, 10 & 12 )cut in lenghts of between 12-18 inches ,,,,,,

These are then shot at distances of between 10 - 50 yards ,,,,, Hitting a round 6 inch by 18 inches long piece of pipe at 30 yards fast can be a bit of a challenge ....

But then We have a more challenging target a piece of 1 inch by 18 inches Re-Bar on a hinge that must be knocked down to save yer pards life ...

But Other clubs have bigger targets ,,,, though most are smaller and farther out than what you all are talking about ...

Jabez Cowboy

Are these SASS clubs or your Canadian anti SASS clubs?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shoot at one Club that uses Oil-Field pipes (6, 8, 10 & 12 )cut in lenghts of between 12-18 inches ,,,,,,

These are then shot at distances of between 10 - 50 yards ,,,,, Hitting a round 6 inch by 18 inches long piece of pipe at 30 yards fast can be a bit of a challenge ....

But then We have a more challenging target a piece of 1 inch by 18 inches Re-Bar on a hinge that must be knocked down to save yer pards life ...

But Other clubs have bigger targets ,,,, though most are smaller and farther out than what you all are talking about ...

Jabez Cowboy

Having shot there several times it gets real entertaining when you have to hit the one inch bar with a handgun. Problem is there's always some smart ass who actually lucks out and hits it and it falls over. Then it feels like everyone else gets a 10 second penalty. To make things worse the darn thing often doesn't work right. Last spring I hit it solidly 3 times with my revolver and the *)(%$#@&*! :angry: thing wouldn't go down, finally someone knocked it down with a full house 44 mag. Oh well the company of the rest of the posse is worth the 7 hr drive to get there. :)

GB

Having shot there several times it gets real entertaining when you have to hit the one inch bar with a handgun. Problem is there's always some smart ass who actually lucks out and hits it and it falls over. Then it feels like everyone else gets a 10 second penalty. To make things worse the darn thing often doesn't work right. Last spring I hit it solidly 3 times with my revolver and the *)(%$#@&*! :angry:/> thing wouldn't go down, finally someone knocked it down with a full house 44 mag. Oh well the company of the rest of the posse is worth the 7 hr drive to get there. :)/>

GB

Now THAT folks is Cowboy Action Shooting!!!!

:mellow:

Well,

I think it is kind of like what kind of church service you gonna have. There are those that are traditionalist who like that old time religion. Then you have those newcomers & youngsters that want a very modern contemporary service. Well, the third group likes a blend that doesn't allow either style to dominate but satisfies most folks.

Satisfaction comes from getting what you expect. When you know the general nature of a CAS/ SASS club you are prepared to deal with target size & placement.

Mostly mankind lives by adjusting to the obsurd. Things will drift one way till it gets obsurd & then it will swing the other direction until it gets obsurd. Then back & forth we go. Problem is, where is middle?

Many folks shoot once a month, don't travel to other clubs & don't shoot larger matches. They are probably the easiest shooters to satisfy. Shooters that enjoy large annual, state & regional matches want to be prepared for these events and use monthly matches to tune their skills. Large matches tend to keep stages less complicated with target size & distance set to run the large number of shooters efficiently thru the stages. If your acustom to shooting 30 sec. stages and the match is geared towards sub 20 sec. shooters, you are at a great disadvantage. All you preparation has set an internal clock by which you function. Good luck on speeding up with accuracy.

So, who's driving the train at your club?

Hasta Luego, Keystone

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Most of ours are 3/8" thick and about 16" across.

Some are slightly bigger and used mostly for dumps or further distances.

A few are smaller that are bonus or KD's.

Mustang Gregg

Target builder

not all bad things / guys--- in the old west ---

was up close,

all the same height

all the same distance

and or all the shape

a few targets

or a few stages

not cookie cutter stages

sure wont hurt nothin once in a while

;) ;) ;)

after all

CAS was based upon many, criminal/survival-skills, or aspects of the 1850's +

give er take a few years either way ;)

Hi all,our club is needing to replace 27 of our old T1 steel targets.We're using AR400 for all of the new targets... SO,what size does your club use?

Hey Charlie, sounds like you're doing what we did at the Mima Marauders. I had a local guy with a plasma cutter make us pistol targets out of AR 400, 18" x 18". Our rifle targets are 16" x 16". I also had the guy make us several buffalo heads off of a pattern I drew up. I had them made oversized, so that the main body is 16" minimum, but I forget what the overall size is, including horns, but it seems like they were 22".

We have an odd array of targets that we only use during the annual, e.g. whiskey jugs, card suits, circles, and various animals. I don't know about you, but I hate those card suits!

Using simple algebra, you can vary your pistol target's effective size. If you normally have an 18" pistol target set at 7 yards, simply by moving it in to 6 yards effectively makes it the same as a 21" target at 7 yards. Folks seem to love those 18 inchers at 6 yards. Contrary to what some folks might think, our clean matches seem to stay around 10%. Have fun with the new targets.

Oh, I forgot. When we had the buffalo heads cut out, the guy was able to make us some small circles out of the left over material. They are useful as bonus targets if your club has the occasional bonus.

The shooters will let you know if you have made the targets sizes correctly, they'll be back and brag about how good of a match they attended. If not, you'll never hear from them again. Listen to all your shooters, not just those that want stages to slow down some shooters.

As to the Poker shaped targets, great fun once in a while, but heard from many that they don't like em. One club that had these, after cutting out, had about 6 to 8" of area, set at 10 yds. Not one shooter shot it clean, and averaged 3 misses per shooter.

Shooters travel from afar,spend money on their equipment,fuel, food, and lodging, they like to feel good about every match they attend, be it the comaradie,but mostly, the sound of steel being hit. Clubs are in the entertaintment business of putting on a match and seeing that "all" shooters walk away with a good feeling, and "want" to return.

Leave the "Bullseye" shooting for side-matches. MT

Thought I would add, this is CAS, and most shootings by cowboys in the Old West was close-up. Gunfight at the OK Corral, eyewitnesses say as close as 10 feet, and I'm sure the targets were bigger then 16"X16", yet with all the bullets flying, few found their mark. A lot of misses, I'm sure a few proceduarals, and safety issues with all barrels not pointed downrange, and probable even sweeping some bystanders.

When I started figuring out target size for the steel;what I actually came up with was 18x 19.2 inches per target.That and making the 8ft x55 1/2 inches will allow us to get 30 targets, with no waste, out of the 2 sheets we CAN afford to buy at this time.We don't have the membership base most of the southern clubs have,and a lot of us are life members,so that cuts way down on renewals.We could do a lot more and bigger targets if we went with a cheaper steel,but then we'd end up replacing it more often.I figured the size I came up with would be a good compromise size for our challenge loving members and visitors as well.And the RM and I agreed no card suits.No targets with holes or large cutout spaces.We are trying to make it so more can get the clean shoots but still keep some of our locals happy.If it were up to me I wouldn't have any shaped targets,just squares,but being a board member I have to listen to what some of the members also want.Just out of curiosity,what size targets does EOT an WR use?Never been to either.

When I started figuring out target size for the steel;what I actually came up with was 18x 19.2 inches per target.That and making the 8ft x55 1/2 inches will allow us to get 30 targets, with no waste, out of the 2 sheets we CAN afford to buy at this time.We don't have the membership base most of the southern clubs have,and a lot of us are life members,so that cuts way down on renewals.We could do a lot more and bigger targets if we went with a cheaper steel,but then we'd end up replacing it more often.I figured the size I came up with would be a good compromise size for our challenge loving members and visitors as well.And the RM and I agreed no card suits.No targets with holes or large cutout spaces.We are trying to make it so more can get the clean shoots but still keep some of our locals happy.If it were up to me I wouldn't have any shaped targets,just squares,but being a board member I have to listen to what some of the members also want.Just out of curiosity,what size targets does EOT an WR use?Never been to either.

Just remember, you can put a hole besides the center top for a square, also at corner, and then have a square and diamond target. MT

Why cut it at all?

Seems the majority would be happier shooting at one big barn door just beyond contact distance, as long as their speeds looked impressive.

<_</>/>

While I know you are joking and having fun.....try that sometime. Put up a 4X8 sheet of steel at 7 yards and dump EVRYTHING on it......24 shots.......and tell me how "fast" you time was......lol.

We have a giant buffalo. It's about 4' wide and weighs over 200 lbs. We don't drag it out very often. Krazy Kajun wrote a stage a couple of months ago where all shots were fired at the Buffalo and misses didn't count but all shots must be fired. 10-10-4 Range about 8 yards. You'd be surprised at how many shooters kicked out a live round from the rifle. There was a lot of laughs and ribbing that day. Even GIANT targets up close with misses not an issue will not keep people from screwing it up if they try hard enough. :lol:

At Winter Range we try to replace 1/3rd of the targets each year. Four years ago most plates were 16". Then we went to 18" and now many are 20".

There you go sharing trade secrets. In the business world, we would have to pay a franchise fee. :)

If bigger is truly better then I agree with the "Why cut it at all"....let's just set out 4x8 sheets of steel and see who can run their guns the fastest.

To me it really doesn't matter what size the targets are...the good shooters are going to hit all of them anyway. Small targets are small for everyone as are large targets the same for everyone. Being accurate seems to be a skill of yesteryear....speed is now King.

I have shot the State Championship at Simms a number of times and have won Duelist 3-4 times....what attracted me to this match was the variety in all of the stages. The club did an outstanding job in doing so....this match and the Sixgun Justice shoot in Rexburg Idaho are the two finest matches in the region offering something for EVERYONE.

So many clubs are now into the cookie cutter approach where it is all the same no matter what range you are on, the targets are all the same and the stages are all the same stand and deliver...10-10-4.....

There are some that say they want a challenge and the moment you introduce a stage that HAS challenges these same shooters complain that it is too hard, the targets are too far away. the targets are too small, "What do you mean I have to KNOCK DOWN the target? I hit it didn't I?"....funny how that works.

Charlie, I hope to get back to Great Falls/Simms this summer and re-join all of my friends again for another top notch match!

Bugler

Just remember, you can put a hole besides the center top for a square, also at corner, and then have a square and diamond target. MT

Then I have to argue with the spotters that maybe I didn't miss if it went thru the second hole. :unsure:

If bigger is truly better then I agree with the "Why cut it at all"....let's just set out 4x8 sheets of steel and see who can run their guns the fastest.

To me it really doesn't matter what size the targets are...the good shooters are going to hit all of them anyway. Small targets are small for everyone as are large targets the same for everyone. Being accurate seems to be a skill of yesteryear....speed is now King.

I have shot the State Championship at Simms a number of times and have won Duelist 3-4 times....what attracted me to this match was the variety in all of the stages. The club did an outstanding job in doing so....this match and the Sixgun Justice shoot in Rexburg Idaho are the two finest matches in the region offering something for EVERYONE.

So many clubs are now into the cookie cutter approach where it is all the same no matter what range you are on, the targets are all the same and the stages are all the same stand and deliver...10-10-4.....

There are some that say they want a challenge and the moment you introduce a stage that HAS challenges these same shooters complain that it is too hard, the targets are too far away. the targets are too small, "What do you mean I have to KNOCK DOWN the target? I hit it didn't I?"....funny how that works.

Charlie, I hope to get back to Great Falls/Simms this summer and re-join all of my friends again for another top notch match!

Bugler

Maybe that partially explains only about 75 shooters in a state championship. Good shooters will win even with small distant targets but by a bigger margin than if set up with SASS recommended sizes and distances.

Maybe that partially explains only about 75 shooters in a state championship. Good shooters will win even with small distant targets but by a bigger margin than if set up with SASS recommended sizes and distances.

Well GCK,to defend the "only about 75 shooters in a state championship" remark;3 years ago (2010) we had 119 shooters from all over the US and Canada,then the next year (2011)the gas prices went nuts.Had quite a few out of stater's that said if the gas prices dropped they'd be back for sure.The numbers dropped to 73 that year mainly due to where we are (no Montana is not in Canada but real close)and what it'd cost to travel way up here.This year we were at 80 and several out of staters came back.People have to realize that a LOT of the southern cities you live in and go to shoots from and around, have more people in that city than we have in the whole state.Montana just broke the 1,000,000 mark this year.That's another reason why we don't get 200,300 400 or more for a State shoot.We do what we can with the money we have to buy targets.By the time this next years State shoot comes we hope to have all new steel in a bit bigger size.The sizes I've already stated.Also want to replace our shotgun targets with more reactionary ones.Ones that will leave zero doubt if it was a hit or not.That's still in the works money wise.

Bugler

Bugler

Bugler...will be looking forward to seeing you again.

While I know you are joking and having fun.....try that sometime. Put up a 4X8 sheet of steel at 7 yards and dump EVRYTHING on it......24 shots.......and tell me how "fast" you time was......lol.

after alot of practice, prutty darned fast

that is the point

boreing after several stages of all 4 x 8 targets

mileage will always vary

the point of deminishing returns

Well GCK,to defend the "only about 75 shooters in a state championship" remark;3 years ago (2010) we had 119 shooters from all over the US and Canada,then the next year (2011)the gas prices went nuts.Had quite a few out of stater's that said if the gas prices dropped they'd be back for sure.The numbers dropped to 73 that year mainly due to where we are (no Montana is not in Canada but real close)and what it'd cost to travel way up here.This year we were at 80 and several out of staters came back.People have to realize that a LOT of the southern cities you live in and go to shoots from and around, have more people in that city than we have in the whole state.Montana just broke the 1,000,000 mark this year.That's another reason why we don't get 200,300 400 or more for a State shoot.We do what we can with the money we have to buy targets.By the time this next years State shoot comes we hope to have all new steel in a bit bigger size.The sizes I've already stated.Also want to replace our shotgun targets with more reactionary ones.Ones that will leave zero doubt if it was a hit or not.That's still in the works money wise.

Charlie's take on this is dead on......Travel expense has cut into MANY clubs attendance, not just at Simms.....Maybe Washington's State Championship will have hundreds of shooters....you have a substantially larger population to draw from. We don't have that luxury....attendance has NOTHING to do with target size as GCK is suggesting.....expense of getting there DOES....

Bugler

Charlie's take on this is dead on......Travel expense has cut into MANY clubs attendance, not just at Simms.....Maybe Washington's State Championship will have hundreds of shooters....you have a substantially larger population to draw from. We don't have that luxury....attendance has NOTHING to do with target size as GCK is suggesting.....expense of getting there DOES....

Bugler

No disrespect but you could not be more wrong. Target size and design has everthing to do with it. FL State 300 plus shooters,Minnesota State 250plus,Michigan 250plus, Bordertown 300plus,Winter Range 750 plus. All these matches have outstanding targets and stage/match design and awesome attendance in a terrible economy. The FACT is that if the shoot entertains the masses folks will find a way to attend. Numbers don't lie. Plenty of shoots in the middle of know where bring the shooters in.

No disrespect but you could not be more wrong. Target size and design has everthing to do with it. FL State 300 plus shooters,Minnesota State 250plus,Michigan 250plus, Bordertown 300plus,Winter Range 750 plus. All these matches have outstanding targets and stage/match design and awesome attendance in a terrible economy. The FACT is that if the shoot entertains the masses folks will find a way to attend. Numbers don't lie. Plenty of shoots in the middle of know where bring the shooters in.

He dont lie buddy!

RRR

I've read on this Wire that Bordertown (way out west) sells out for the upcoming year before they even have time to initiate the advertisement for it.

How many of those shooters do you think ask about gas prices a year ahead of schedule? Probably none.

They treasure being able to get on the shooters list before it sells out and a year later they travel, regardless of gas prices/economy.

I think Deuce stated it very well and the proof is in the numbers.

Besides, when did a bunch of Cowboys ever decide to attend/not attend a GOOD match based on fuel prices? I don't know of any.

..........Widder

Target size can affect the numbers to a point.SASS is trending to bigger and closer.Our targets aren't tiny,they are SASS minimums or real close on our older targets.The ones that need replacing.All of the new ones we've bought in the last few years are bigger than SASS minimums.Problem is we don't have enough of those and that's what we're trying to accomplish with the new targets.Now lets talk apples and oranges.When I moved back to Montana from Minnesota in 2001,the Twin cities and surrounding suburbs had over 3 1/2 million people.That's over 3 times the population of the entire state of Montana in one area alone.Don't know what the population of Michigan is,but I'd bet it's a whole lot more than 1 million...same for Florida.There's a larger base population to draw from.Bordertown...Arizona...right?Phoenix...what's the population of that?About 3-4 million?Then add in Tucson and the close proximity to Cal,Nm,Co and Nv.All within 100-500 miles.It's 1000 miles from here to Vegas.It's 1000 miles from here to Minnesota.I've seen posts on the wire not too long ago from people that want to go to Big shoot ABC or XYZ but can't make it because of the expense.So,distance and location CAN also be a determining factor as to how many people will come to a shoot.We have fun stages...no long range shooting scenarios on any stage.Nothing complicated on any stage.A few "stand and deliver" stages but most have movement.Sure,I'd really enjoy seeing 200 shooters at each state shoot,but realistically I know that just isn't gonna happen no matter what size targets we have.We've had folks from all over the US come and shoot as well as different countries.In our post shoot questionaire 90% said they really liked the shoot.Always going to be some that have a gripe about something.The economy and where we are has busted our chops more so than the stages and targets.

Bugler

I'm sorry, but anyone that would make these kind of comments is full of crap.

Seriously..."Being accurate seems to be a skill of yesteryear"...what a load of ignorance.

I truly believe that you have some old circle of friends that all think in a BAHBAH sheep kind of way and have never befriended a person that thinks differently then you and your "Pards" do.

OY!!!!!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Phantom....." Full of crap" and" totally ignorant" you say....Sir, you do not know me at all and to make such a statement as yours as to who I know or don't or who are considered my friends is ludicrous and an insult as well.

But then, I have only been in this game since 2000, I've been an RO2 for many years and have shot in matches in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, Utah and North Dakota.

Bugler

I'm sorry, but anyone that would make these kind of comments is full of crap.

Seriously..."Being accurate seems to be a skill of yesteryear"...what a load of ignorance.

I truly believe that you have some old circle of friends that all think in a BAHBAH sheep kind of way and have never befriended a person that thinks differently then you and your "Pards" do.

OY!!!!!

Phantom

:FlagAm:/>

Phantom....." Full of crap" and" totally ignorant" you say....Sir, you do not know me at all and to make such a statement as yours as to who I know or don't or who are considered my friends is ludicrous and an insult as well.

But then, I have only been in this game since 2000, I've been an RO2 for many years and have shot in matches in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, Utah and North Dakota.

Bugler

Yaddayaddayadda...

Since 2000...so what. There are folks here that have been in the game a lot longer and yet havn't shot many matches...

RO2...RO1...that's just a stoopid badge that you paid for...and spent a little time in a "Class"...so what. China Camp didn't even have an RO1 badge.

You are ignorant...in MY opinion. Your statement makes me believe this.

You may be a very nice person...fun to be with and all...but that doesn't make you immune to ignorance.

And yes, your comment about accuracy is a bunch of crap...again, in MY opinion.

Phantom

When I posted this topic it was to find out what size targets other clubs use.Not to start a debate...not to start a pissing contest....not to create an insult contest from no matter who.I asked about target size to get an idea what would be best for MY club to go to when we do our new targets.Some people like em big as a garage door...some like them small and challenging.Each has a preference and a right to their own opinion.I want to get targets sized to what seems to be the norm at most clubs.So..having said that...QUIT YOUR BICKERING AND INSULTS and lets get back on the topic or just drop it totally.

When I posted this topic it was to find out what size targets other clubs use.Not to start a debate...not to start a pissing contest....not to create an insult contest from no matter who.I asked about target size to get an idea what would be best for MY club to go to when we do our new targets.Some people like em big as a garage door...some like them small and challenging.Each has a preference and a right to their own opinion.I want to get targets sized to what seems to be the norm at most clubs.So..having said that...QUIT YOUR BICKERING AND INSULTS and lets get back on the topic or just drop it totally.

if you have ever been on the wire before.......................................

youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

knew watttt you were startin :blink:/>/>/>/>

I say 4-foot x 8-foot targets for all :)/>/>/>/>

on every stage, and every one that does it will sell out

in

no time :)/>/>/> ;)/>/>/> :)/>/>/>

please

all clubs go to bigg fast and close

4' x 8' targets, so sass grows, so that local clubs prosperrrrrrrrrrrr

and double their shooter numbers

so that they can all sell out their shoots

pronto like

so that we can then

in the future

meet

somewhere inbetween

devils avocate

whoo-knows

Sorry Charlie,

Target size is not a constant, it's a variable from club to club. I think most shooters would be quite satified with the 16" square target. We mostly use 16" sq & round targets for rifle. We have tombstones (16"x 24") & rectangles (18"x 24") for pistol targets. Tall stands are used for rifle & shorter stands for pistol. However, for variety we also have cowboy & buffalo cutouts as well as some other assorted and seldom used shapes.. Here in East TN stages with movement out number the stand & deliver scenarios. We are blessed with good stages & mighty fine cowboys & cowgirls. I might also add that we have quite a few gunfighter & oulaw category shooters. Good luck on your quest for target selection which well please your shooters.

Hasta Kuego, Keystone

You can whine about this discussion all ya want. But I get pretty tired when folks start putting down SASS shooters. You and other's seem to think the only way to "Challenge" folks is with small(er) targets. If our game didn't have timers, then you'd be right...but we do.

And sorry that some folks think they are beyond being ignorant. I for one am ignorant on many, MANY topics. That's why I don't get on forums and pretend to know all...that would be...arrogant.

Now excuse me, I've gotta go shoot.

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Now excuse me, I've gotta go shoot.

Phantom

Well.....go shoot. But be sure to wrap up my new pistol for a Christmas present..... :D

or maybe a truck load of reloading supplies.

Hey Charlie Whiskers: On a serious note, it ain't just size but also distance and placement. Even a barn door at 100 yrds would be no fun. And a little pie plate at 2 ft wouldn't be fun.

I think there are enough post for you to gather REASONABLE information that will help you determine your target sizes, etc. But I will add another variable to your situation.

IF all your shooters are older men and shoot duelist style, then you will probably make them happy with the smaller type targets set out at SASS recommended distances. They will savor the competition and enjoy it thoroughly.

IF you have a good number of fast traditional style shooters, then they are gona prefer something alittle different (maybe).

If you have a good number of GFer's and OUTLAWS (those possessed hip shooters), then some of them will tend to like em similar to what those fast traditional style shooters prefer.

Don't overthink it. SASS made those RECOMMENDATIONS for a reason. And remember, those are ONLY RECOMMENDATIONS. And those recommendations give all club a general guideline.

And one more thing to remember, we are in the ENTERTAINMENT business. It all don't have to be pure speed or pure accuracy. But hopefully, its all aimed towards fun and entertainment.

Best regards

..........Widder

Archived