SASS Wire Forum

Getting into SASS. Cowboy outfits?

Robert H

I've got all the guns I need, but now I need an outfit. Being where I live, there isn't much locally. Can any recommend a place online that sells cowboy duds?

Try here.. there are a few others.. but this will get you started. Welcome Pardner! Enjoy the ride!

www.wildwestmerc.com

Blue Hare

To get you started.....

Go to WALMART and purchase a pair of jeans, while you are there you can get a western long sleeve shirt and an inexpensive pair of western style leather boots.

From there you can get to the range and start shooting!

After you have shot for a few months and decide to make it more authentic looking - Venture of to boot barn..... Look into shopping at your local thrift store for used clothing.

<HINT> Uncomfortable shoes will not make cowboy shooting fun!

There are lots of online retailers, just Google "Old West Cowboy clothes". I'm also a big fan of Goodwill stores. If you have one in your area you can find lots of stuff and it's cheap. Some of my best duds came from Goodwill.

Since he didn't bother to put his location in his profile, we can't help too much. Walmart stores in his area may not carry western wear. Snaps on (modern) shirts are not legal except for B-Western Class. I'd recommend Texas Jacks and Wild West Mercantile. WW Merc is running some good sales right now and seems to run them more often than Texas Jacks. Here's another place http://www.ushist.com/index.html

Welcome! Starting simple is always a good idea expecially since you might end up in a category that has specific clothing requirements later on. Jeans, a long sleeved work shirt or Henley shirt and a pair of work boots will serve well.

There are several good online merchants but beware: the sizing on the reproduction clothing may differ from modern clothes. Because the old west pants sit higher up, most people have to go up at least one size from their regular pants size. On top of that, I find that different manufacturers have different cuts. For example, I wear size 34 in jeans or dress slacks. I wear a size 36 in a Frontier Classics brand and size 38 in Wah-Maker. Most western stores don't carry the type of clothes we wear.

You might want to check for a big cowboy match in your area-either a state championship match or a regional match. Those big shoots usually attract a bunch of vendors who will have clothing that you can try on for fit.

Once you figure out your sizes, you might get a deal here on the Wire from time to time.

Last I heard, Tractor Supply and Walmart did not sponsor, or directly support, Cowboy Action Shooting.

Wild West Mercantile does support action shooting and has for many, many years.

The newcomer should be encouraged to patronize a company that supports our sport.

Additionally, a solid company like WWM will provide service after the sale should sizing be an issue.

Since he didn't bother to put his location in his profile, we can't help too much. Walmart stores in his area may not carry western wear. Snaps on (modern) shirts are not legal except for B-Western Class. I'd recommend Texas Jacks and Wild West Mercantile. WW Merc is running some good sales right now and seems to run them more often than Texas Jacks. Here's another place http://www.ushist.com/index.html

Don't know where you got that rule pard.

Fillmore

+1 on the Wal-mart to get started. They may not carry "cowboy duds" in certain areas... but they carry work shirts almost everywhere. Just buy a button front chambray blue work shirt, such as made by Dickies™, maybe add a pair of coveralls. Nope, they ain't the most "period correct" cowboy clothes, but they'll do and fit right in. Cut the collar off the shirt and just leave the band if you want to drop a few years off it's authenticity. Looky here, they even have a sale for on-line purchases of a "2-pack of jeans"... can't hardly go wrong with those. Cut any decorative stitching off, maybe the belt loops and add a set of suspender buttons, you've dropped a bunch of years off their authenticity. They may not sell those items everywhere, (the buttons are (in store purchase only at my local store), but... no harm in looking. You can do an internet search for "logger buttons", "no-sew" or suspender buttons, you'll find lots of different price ranges and options. Keep a few around to do repairs on your store-bought pants, just in case. All you need is a hammer and a 2x4... about my style on sewing.;)

AW, not everyone has an unlimited budget where they can spend upwards of $50-60 for a pair of pants to be worn once a month, adding $40-50 for a shirt that's likely to be worn with similar frequency. Let's not even get into boots and hats. However, a pair of jeans and work shirt might also see some use around the house/yard, etc... for a little more return on your shopping dollar. I'd been shooting for about a year before Judge Roy Bean and Tex started in on me about "uppin'" the authenticity of my outfit... I figure I can do the same to any other new comer. The cost of guns and leather gear is enough to scare off a LOT of potential new shooters, you think hammerin' on 'em about CLOTHES is gonna help? Daddy always taught me to play the fish a little to make sure the hook was where it needed to be before you set it!

Try Wild West Mercantile, Tonto Rim and Cowboy Emporium just to name a few. Have fun, I went a little nuts when I first started now I have a many "cowboy duds" as I do regular duds! :)

Rye

Congrats on getting the shooting irons. All the posts above have the cool websites as well as advice to start cheap at first, as you may change your mind. I would just like to add that comfortable boots/shoes are important as you are working at shooting and the posse chores for several hours at a match. I like Ariat boots but I bet some of you pards have other ideas as well for this and would like to hear from you as well.

me

When I first started cowboy shooting, I got a pair of black jeans, cut off the belt loops and put on batchlor buttons for suspenders. The shirt in the pix is an old Arrow dress shirt that looked like the mattress ticking, I cut the collar off and the vest was on a sale rack at the last EOT (in Calif)

I wore that shirt til you could litterally see thru it and found another on line. I got boots from the Fort mail order, and then I got some off the classifieds.

I started putting together other looks such as my scout look...check on my webpage and see some of the gear that Old Top and I have put together:

enjoy and keep us posted on how ya do

curley

I like the idea of just one or two basic pairs or pants with a shirt each. After a year or so they will start looking real cowboy, specially if they have not been washed! Try to find the suspender pants that ride high up onto the belly and back to mimic period styles. Look at the Civil War trousers for common patterns of the period, there were no modern hip hugger jeans around! Shirts seem harder to match to the real ones used back when, old photos show that their Henley style sported button rows that reached lower than or modern styles and the repros seem based on the modern short button rows. Collars are hard to call since old photos are never clear enuff to make the call on whether the many collars that one sees are permanently affixed or detachable. There do seem to be an awful lot of collars on working shirts and it makes me think that they were more common than we generally claim. If TV or movies are your target then all bets are off, a costume can be anything from Lucas McCain pencil leg blue jeans to Hopalong Cassidy bling! Add the extra styles later as your taste dictates.

Give this place a try http://www.riverjunction.com/ River Junction Trading Company. It's in McGregor Iowa and I believe the owner Has been a SASS shooter for quite some time. Very dedicated to his customers.

+1 on this place, forgot about them but I've bought some stuff from them in the past. I got some neat household stuff from them too. Bugle, spittoon, etc.

:) Rye

Gotta' add a big +1 for Hamilton Dry Goods. Matt usually has a sale on complete outfits for around $70.00. That's shirt, pants, suspenders, and socks for one low price. He has good quality products, many of them American made, quick delivery from his online store, and he stands behind his products.

Hamilton Dry Goods has also supported CAS/SASS for many years and they are a family operated outfit. :FlagAm:

ONLY B-Western and Classic Cowboy have any uniform requirements.

Let's do the no's. No baseball caps, no t-shirts, no feathered hats, no short sleeve shirts, no lugged soles on boots, no running-athletic shoes.

Yes: Jeans, long sleeve shirt, leather shoes/boots. Done

A lot can be added to make the look more cowboy but this is all that is required. If you will notice, hats are not required, however if you shoot a Henry, 1866 or 1873 you will be looking for a hat in a hurry. Those rifles tend to dump the empties on your head. Hot.

Col. Nate must not a been awake yet as surely he knows better, pearl snap shirts have always been legal in ALL categories but Classic. Also, why would ya want to cut perfectly good belt loops offa jeans?? Not necessary and kinda silly to me.

Oh, and come on now Griff that pic ya linked to is OVERalls NOT Coveralls. Big difference. One word of warning, if ye are an established shooter and then one day show up in overalls be prepared for all yer pards to wool ye around unmercifully. The taunts of "what, are ye shootin' sodbuster category?", "where'd ya park yer sheep?" etc etc never cease ALL day long. Did it once and may do it again. If they are rankin' on me they are lettin' somebody else rest. They sure wuz comfortable...

Aside from Wild West Merc, there's River Junction Trading and Tonto Rim Trading. As been mentioned, there are dozens of on line retailers. The preceding are among the ones with which I have had good dealings.

-Pico Pistolero

blog.picopistolero.com

Keith and Linda at Work-N-Ranch are great folks with great selection of clothing at great prices.

Wild West Mercantile, River Junction Trading Company, Texas Jacks, and Tonto Rim a;s have a wide selection of Cowboy cloths.

Fingers (show Me MO smoke) McGee

My 1st pair of pants were black Levis 501 (on sale $49.00)I already owned some boots and I bought my 1st shirt from "Wild West Mercantile". Then every Bday and Christmas and Fathers day and.... I asked for more clothes.

Took a while but I've got 7 different shirts, 4 Vests, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of boots and 4 hats. I'm good to go! :lol:

Get it done at your own speed.

http://www.westernandwildlifewonders.com/shop/catalog/index.php

http://www.westernemporium.com/western.php?__utma=1.3077528902215981000.1249139371.1318804285.1319577685.11&__utmb=1.44.10.1319577685&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1319577685.11.9.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=western%20emporium.com|utmcct=/links.html&__utmv=-&__utmk=108314242

http://www.tontorim.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html

http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=3000&type=store

Lots to choose from.

Frenchy

+1 on Wild West Mercantile and Tonto Rim Trading. Haven't dealt with the others yet.

It's good to buy from retailers that support the shooting sports. (as noted above).

If you are on a budget, check out eBay. You can find loads of good deals on used CAS clothing there.

Try some searches for "SASS shirt" and "SASS vest", etc...

I've bought loads of used, high dollar, name-brand CAS clothes there for very little money. And it's usually SASS shooters who are selling the items.

Archived