SASS Wire Forum

Shifty Eye

Witch Doctor, SASS # 70062

The call came in the middle of the night. It was short - he is gone. The sun came up anyway this morning - go figure. I know that Shifty told it to come up and keep taking care of his cowboys. He would worry more about us than about his appointment with heaven. The angels will welcome him and I'm sure they will all be dressed cowboy for the wonderful occasion. I envy them his company. He told me not to cry, but then he frequently told me to shoot a clean match - sometimes you just don't have it in you to do everything your friends want you to do. Good Bye to a great friend and a great Jedi Gunfighter.

Witch Doctor

So long Compadre!

Peace and comfort to the family.

Nicely stated WD. He leaves a hole in all our hearts, larger than his pistols could make.

As you said yesterday, walking down that hill to the range was difficult without Shifty there running the morning side matches.

He's now joined Coyote Calhoun at heavens campfire. :wub:

'Nooga

Shifty Eye, SASS #62704L, TG, Regulator, Friend

Prayers up for Shifty's family and friends. My deepest sympathies to all y'all.

Gracos Kid, you are so right.

Nicely stated WD. He leaves a hole in all our hearts, larger than his pistols could make.

As you said yesterday, walking down that hill to the range was difficult without Shifty there running the morning side matches.

He's now joined Coyote Calhoun at heavens campfire. :wub:

'Nooga

Shifty Eye, SASS #62704L, TG, Regulator, Friend

Hi 'Nooga. You are right. Yesterday was hard for every one of us. Last week Shifty called and asked me to do some special things for two memorials, one at DHI and another at River Bend. So from one club or the other, most of his friends should have an opportunity to come and celebrate his life as we grieve his passing. DHI will be more of a memorial service. At River Bend, we will say our goodbyes on shoot day and share the sport with him just one more time. Will E.Shoot and I were talking about the things that Shifty wanted done, Ray was surprised at Shifty wanting to make the arrangements himself and plan the details. Shifty loved to run the timer and take care of whatever he could so the rest of us could relax. Why should we expect this to be any different? Witch Doctor

Memorial service for Shifty Eye on August 19 starting at 2:30 pm.

Griffin Gun Club and Doc Hollidays Immortals will have a memorial service for Shifty Eye on August 19 starting at 2:30 pm.

We want to have an appropriate time to remember this fine cowboy.

His quiet, friendly service was an example for us all. He knew the rules and applied them calmly and fairly. He worked to help set up matches and ran side matches at many clubs in the area. He served as the Territorial Governor for the Doc Hollidays Immortals.

Cowboy clothes are encouraged but not required.

To honor that great Jedi Gunfighter, bring your pistols and shotguns. We will have the service at the club house.

Following the service, we will go down the the "cowboy house" stage, get out our guns and shoot a "gunfighter" tribute followed by a shotgun tribute to Shifty Eye.

Remember that per his wishes, donations to the Young Shooters fund are preferred over flowers.

I've spoken with Witch Doctor and the River Bend Gun Club will also have a memorial service at a later date for those who cannot make it this coming Sunday. Witch Doctor and crew will keep us advised of that schedule.

Other local clubs will also have some special times to honor Shifty Eye.

A loss to the SASS community...I'm glad I got to call him a friend. I'll miss him badly.

Thanks Marauder.. I've added this to the Georgia SASS Shooters facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/sassga

Memorial service for Shifty Eye on August 19 starting at 2:30 pm.

Griffin Gun Club and Doc Hollidays Immortals will have a memorial service for Shifty Eye on August 19 starting at 2:30 pm.

We want to have an appropriate time to remember this fine cowboy.

His quiet, friendly service was an example for us all. He knew the rules and applied them calmly and fairly. He worked to help set up matches and ran side matches at many clubs in the area. He served as the Territorial Governor for the Doc Hollidays Immortals.

Cowboy clothes are encouraged but not required.

To honor that great Jedi Gunfighter, bring your pistols and shotguns. We will have the service at the club house.

Following the service, we will go down the the "cowboy house" stage, get out our guns and shoot a "gunfighter" tribute followed by a shotgun tribute to Shifty Eye.

Remember that per his wishes, donations to the Young Shooters fund are preferred over flowers.

I've spoken with Witch Doctor and the River Bend Gun Club will also have a memorial service at a later date for those who cannot make it this coming Sunday. Witch Doctor and crew will keep us advised of that schedule.

Other local clubs will also have some special times to honor Shifty Eye.

I can't add anything to what's been said about Shifty, but I feel his loss, too. As a fellow Gunfighter AND Jedi Gunfighter, he was a cowboy you always looked forward to shooting with, posse-ing with, helping out with a side match he was running, and on and on.. a great guy to everyone he came in contact with.

I look forward to seeing his grandson, the Lego kid, shooting with us soon. He'll sure have lots of support, through the young shooters fund Shifty help get going to the number of cowboys and cowgirls who will carry in their hearts that they'd do anything for Terry, and would love to shoot with him just once more..

Miss you, pard.

I posted other condolences on another thread but thought I would also post on this.

My condolences are extended to his immediate family and all those who knew him as a life long friend and also compadre out on the Cowboy range.

His character impressed me when I met him at the GA State in May of this year and I was honored to participate in his inaguration into the JEDI GF ranks.

He will be missed.

God Bless.

..........Widder

Good friend, gentle soul, brave in the good fight. What a race you ran, Shifty. We are all better for having known you. Thanks for your support and encouragement. See you in the life ahead.

Our loss is God's gain. I'll bet Shifty showed up at the pearly gates pushing a red, white and blue gun cart holding a timer. We all miss ya pard!!

Just to add that we miss Shifty Eye and all his great support.

He not only helped set up matches, but he was a territorial Governor and a SASS Regulator. He truly enjoyed helping and worked as much as he could for as long as he could.

In lieu of flowers, he asked that donations be made to the

Penny Denny Young Shooters Fund

4696 Lincoln Way

Lilburn, GA 30047

A loss to the SASS community...I'm glad I got to call him a friend. I'll miss him badly.

Hi Click. I am sure you know about the memorial this Sunday at DHI. We will also have a shotgun salute to Shifty at River Bend. Please come and help us out with that. We miss you too. Witch Doctor

It's hard to add to what has already been said about a good man, a gentle giant among men but his gentleness had a tremendous amount of strength. No matter what club he attended he was always involved with helping with the program. I know he is in God's hands and he is probably giving shooting lessons. That's one cowboy that will surely be missed. See ya on tha trail!

I dug through all my photos from the years and posted them all in one place, along with pictures from today's match.

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/Rolan_Kraps/Shifty%20Eye/

My heartfelt condolences to his family and many friends.

One of my first and closest Cowboy pards, a constant source of support and advice, always ready with a well timed "attaboy", or a "what were your thinking". He fought the good fight and will be missed.

Hi Burt, this is a good time to mention that we will have a bulletin board of stories and pictures of Shifty at our next River Bend shoot. Sept. 1st. The things posted there will then go to his family so they will never forget how many people loved this man. Anyone who wants to tell a story or share a thought is invited to either bring it to the shoot or (if you can't be there) email it to Done Gone at River Bend or to me. The link was posted earlier in this thread to the Cowboy memorial page for the Cowboy Chapel. That is another good place to post those "Shifty stories". I posted most of what I tried to say yesterday at the service since I know no one could understand a word I said and I made Shifty a promise that I would tell everyone some things from his heart. I let him down with too much blubbering. We did a gunfighter salute yesterday with a "missing man" formation at the center of the firing line. It was so cool and I know Shifty was watching and laughing his butt off at Fast Eddie shooting with both hands. It is probably the only time in his life that Eddie will ever hear the line "Gunfighter in the house" directed at him. I have never seen so many of our Georgia young shooters in one place before because Shifty was their protector and their mentor and they were all there to pay their respects. I hope Slick's Sharp Shooter will post her poem on the memorial page. She did have a little catch in the throat herself while trying to speak. There was a lot of that going around. Witch Doctor

Are thoughts and prayers go out to all the family and friends of Shifty Eye.

We did not really know Shifty Eye, but he sounds like a Pard that was very evolved in SASS and our young shooters. I know he was happy with the send off our Georgia Pards gave him.

May he rest in peace.

Dingo and Sixgun

Archived