SASS Wire Forum

Buying Used Cross-over SUV for SASS shoots....

We're looking for advice on a cross-over SUV that would be good for attenting SASS shoots with-in a 300 mi range from home. Comfortable to drive, good gas mileage, with room in the back for gun cart and guns. Cowboys and girls know best.

Thanks,

The Ghosts

Hey, Ghost,

I know you said SUV, but we've had SUVs for years, and in December bought our best-ever CAS vehicle: a Dodge minivan.

Lotsa room, good mileage (28+ mpg on the highway with the air on), comfortable, and the RT version even handles decently.

Plus, the stow and go seats allow us to configure the seats easily.

Not near as much pickup as my old Hemi, but not bad. It tows the golf cart just fine. Plus, the electronics are nifty enough to keep me entertained

for a trip - just ask Lorelei!

If you're going to be at TRR tomorrow for practice, or at next week's match, look me up.

Laz

+1 What Lazarus Longshot said. We got one last year, 2011 Main Street model, and really enjoy it. 27-28 MPG doing 70, AC on, 280ish lbs of dogs(3), luggage and Limey and myself. Texas to Virginia.

Cannot recommend Chevy Equanix. Ours (2006) started falling apart in 4 years. In 5 years, was on 3rd set of tires, 2nd set of rear wheel bearings with the 3rd coming soon, ABS issues, AC issues, and engine issues. Could not get it to hold an alignment, ABS and engine issues just gave generic codes without any real clue as to what was wrong. Oh yea, only got 24mpg, but near the end, just 21mpg. Dealership was useless to. It seems they could only fix hard broke items, but was willing to use a shotgun approach of fixing it with no promises that it would be fixed with matching price tags.

Buy American!!

Great suggestion, compadre, but easier said than done. So many "American" vehicles are made elsewhere these days (a 2001 Silverado I bought a few years back turns out to have been made in Mexico), and so many "foreign" brands are at least assembled here.

This might surprise you. 10 most American made Vehicles

I, too, urge, "Buy American!"

Buena suerte,

eGG

I've had a Mazda Tribute for almost 95K miles (8 years). We take it on the 2+ hour trips one way, to our monthly club matches and pretty near everywhere else. Very comfortable, great mileage, holds all our gear, costumes and clothes for a weekend visit with friends. Still running strong and still looks good too. The best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

You can't go wrong with the first two vehicles you mentioned. I would consider Mazda also.

Hey, Ghost,

I know you said SUV, but we've had SUVs for years, and in December bought our best-ever CAS vehicle: a Dodge minivan.

Lotsa room, good mileage (28+ mpg on the highway with the air on), comfortable, and the RT version even handles decently.

Plus, the stow and go seats allow us to configure the seats easily.

Not near as much pickup as my old Hemi, but not bad. It tows the golf cart just fine. Plus, the electronics are nifty enough to keep me entertained

for a trip - just ask Lorelei!

If you're going to be at TRR tomorrow for practice, or at next week's match, look me up.

Laz

Thanks Laz, We'll see ya next weekend at TRR.

Ghost

Honda Pilot is the only way to go.....I've owned 2 Plymouth Grand Voyagers and several GM products. Honda is by far the best quality for my hard-earned money.....

Great suggestion, compadre, but easier said than done. So many "American" vehicles are made elsewhere these days (a 2001 Silverado I bought a few years back turns out to have been made in Mexico), and so many "foreign" brands are at least assembled here.

This might surprise you. 10 most American made Vehicles

I, too, urge, "Buy American!"

Buena suerte,

eGG

I didn't say buy American "made", but by an American company. So the profits stay here, not going back overseas. That's what's wrong with our country today, all this foreign crap on the market, forcing out our own "made here" products. :angry:

We owned a 2010 Toyota 4-Runner - didn't like it, uncomfortable, had a slide out platform in the back that you could not remove which took up a lot of floor-to-ceiling space. Traded it in as soon as we could.

We bought a used 2008 Honda Pilot for our daughter and son-in-law and were so impressed with it, we bought ourselves a 2012 Pilot. Both vehicles have been trouble free (the 2008 has 110,000 miles on it and the 2012 has 20,000 miles), are as peppy as we need, have a lot of space in back. We leave all seats folded flat for hauling junk to our booths at the local antique mall. The 2012 came with a towing package and will easily pull my 8X10 trailer loaded with furniture or my golf cart. Highly recommend the Pilot.

I didn't say buy American "made", but by an American company. So the profits stay here, not going back overseas. That's what's wrong with our country today, all this foreign crap on the market, forcing out our own "made here" products. :angry:

Toyota is headquartered in Japan, but it is a globally traded corporation, even being traded on the New York Stock Exchange (Symbol "TM"). Also, much of their "profits" made here are reinvested here, otherwise we wouldn't have the plants here continually upgraded for newer model years, we wouldn't have the R&D facilities, etc...

The same can be said for Honda (HMC) and I believe Mazda (MZDAF). A quick Google search found Nissan oddly on NASDAQ (NSANY).

In other words, you can own shares of them if you want and keep the profits right here.

Oh, and unless something has changed, the 4Runner isn't a Crossover, but a mid-sized SUV with traditional rear drive/ four wheel drive capability. The Crossovers, to my knowledge tend to be front or all-wheel drive, without a range selectable transfer case. In other words, you aren't going to buy a 4Runner for good gas mileage (EPA estimate 17/23). If looking at Toyota, start with the RAV4 and the Highlander.

People are going to Japanese cars because they are reliable. Perhaps if GM & Chrysler spent a little more effort in producing reliable cars, their sales would be higher. And yes this is based on personal experience.

American car companys take our jobs to Mex or other places.

And I want to reward them for that??? Maybe. If the car is what I want and it also has a good resale value.

Or buy a so called non American company that has brought there jobs here??

And most has a better resale value.

Comes out about equal in my book.

So. Pick what ya like.

Me.

I have had GREAT luck with any Honda we have had.

P.S.

I am all for buying American when you can.

But saddly. There are no REAL American made Cars anymore.

American car companys take our jobs to Mex or other places.

And I want to reward them for that??? Maybe. If the car is what I want and it also has a good resale value.

Or buy a so called non American company that has brought there jobs here??

And most has a better resale value.

Comes out about equal in my book.

So. Pick what ya like.

Me.

I have had GREAT luck with any Honda we have had.

P.S.

I am all for buying American when you can.

But saddly. There are no REAL American made Cars anymore.

Al, I afraid you're right on. So far the Honda Pilot is leading in CAS with the Dodge mini-van close behind. Still looking for more input from our SASS pardners. We did see a 2012 Kia Sorento that looked pretty good.

Help us out pardners.

Ghost

It used to be that the Jap cars were the only reliable ones but it aint so no more. I have a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer with 63K on it that I bought new in January of 2007 and have done nothing to it except oil changes.

My 2002 Chevy Trailblazer EXT was bought new in 2002 and has 118K on it and the only thing other than oil changes, brakes and sparkplugs has been an electronic control module for mthe 4WD. 300 bucks over a 10 year span aint bad....

My daughter has a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor that is a nightmare...

I'm driving my fifth Chrysler minivan. There's a lot of choices out there and anyone of them will serve you well. One thing to think about ( in my old age anyway) is the minivan sits lower than the SUV/Crossovers and makes lifting guncarts in and out easier and has larger side doors for access to what ya brung!

We love our Honda Odyssey. I'm 6'5", and it is one of the few vehicles I can drive comfortably for long distances. Guncart and gear fit in the luggage compartement with space to spare.

Those of you who don't think we should buy Hondas can go buy a Chevy Volt. Enjoy.

I have two Hyundai Santa Fe SUVs, a 2001 and a 2004, both bought new, minimum upkeep and repairs and both over 120,000 miles and going strong. Really decent gas mileage (@25mpg at 80 mph with the air on), I'm just waiting for the 2013 models to come out. Just my opinion. I like 'em and will stay with 'em unless something drastic happens. Oh, yeah, KIA is owned by Hyundai and KIA's quality control has been getting better; the price on either one is a big factor also; high teens to low twenties depending on the deal/model you can get. Good luck.

I have some experience with one from your candidate list; the Dodge Nitro. I think it is a great vehicle for what you are trying to satisfy. I, somehow seem to have heard that they have stopped making it, but the new Jeep Liberty appears to be the same vehicle with a Jeep badge on it.

The only problem I ever had with the Nitro was that, due to the placement of the door lock button, it was very easy to lock my keys in it.

I'm driving my fifth Chrysler minivan. There's a lot of choices out there and anyone of them will serve you well. One thing to think about ( in my old age anyway) is the minivan sits lower than the SUV/Crossovers and makes lifting guncarts in and out easier and has larger side doors for access to what ya brung!

+1000 !!!!!

I've driven most of the ones here, extensively. I travel over 60% of the time and rent all these vehicles, routinely. For full disclosure, our family has 3 Dodges and a Toyota RAV 4.

If I were buying now, here are the only 4 I would seriously consider:

Ford Escape

Hyundai Santa Fe

Honda Pilot

Toyota RAV4.

Ford is the only real US based maker left, and I find their products and quality VERY good now. I would look there first (and I intend doing that myself next year). As stated above, I have 3 Dodges, but will never buy another, nor will I buy GM.

Honda quality is very good, but parts can be expensive.

Toyota RAV 4 is high quality, very reliable, but get the 6 Cyl or you'll be lurching from auto shifting so often.

Hyundai is well on the way to surpassing Honda and Toyota in quality (already has IMHO) - I love driving their products.

Bottom line is drive a few, do your research on their quality, mileage and repair costs, then pick the one you like the best.

...we use a 2004 Jeep Liberty 5 speed for our commutes to local shoots... ...and yes, Ms. Mary Matilda shoots too.... just fold the back seat down, in goes the gun cart, 5 revolvers ( I carry a spare), 2 rifles, 4 shotguns (we both carry a spare), 2 ammo boxes (his and hers)... and off we go... ...20+ mpg...

The cheapest one is the one you already own. It's impossible to justify buying a new car to save fuel mileage. Better to drive the one you have until it's unfit for a family of illegal aliens. Then go buy the new one with better fuel mileage.

96 Toyota RAV-4, have NOT even changed a bulb. Do change oil 5000 and when it was 10 years old changed all the belts. Gun cart goes in and with the manual 6 speed 30mpg along with the AWD. I'm 6'1" with no problem and head room ta spare. American made 97 Ford F-150, 88,000 ready for THIRD transmission.

Pontiac Vibe, (toyota matrix) on the smaller side, but seats fold down flat....33mpg at most any speed...

Cadilac Deville, I know not a cross-over, but has a trunk like a cavern,,,26mpg, plus the ride of a caddy, AND 275hp

buick Rendezvous, 22-24 mpg, back seats fold, remove, and lift forward..tows up to 3500lbs...

or a Winny Rialta,,,,yea I know, but that's a motor home,,,but 17ish mpg, you can sleep in it and all sorts of other stuff tuu....

are you confused yet?

CC

The cheapest one is the one you already own. It's impossible to justify buying a new car to save fuel mileage. Better to drive the one you have until it's unfit for a family of illegal aliens. Then go buy the new one with better fuel mileage.

I think you're right Pardner! As you know, we have a Navigator that gets 18 mpg HYW. We were thinking about spending $20,000, so as to save a couple hundred in gas, on a trip to Sparta. Dosn't make much sense does it.

Are you still interested in sharing a room at Sparta?

Ghost

I've driven most of the ones here, extensively. I travel over 60% of the time and rent all these vehicles, routinely. For full disclosure, our family has 3 Dodges and a Toyota RAV 4.

If I were buying now, here are the only 4 I would seriously consider:

Ford Escape

Hyundai Santa Fe

Honda Pilot

Toyota RAV4.

Ford is the only real US based maker left, and I find their products and quality VERY good now. I would look there first (and I intend doing that myself next year). As stated above, I have 3 Dodges, but will never buy another, nor will I buy GM.

Honda quality is very good, but parts can be expensive.

Toyota RAV 4 is high quality, very reliable, but get the 6 Cyl or you'll be lurching from auto shifting so often.

Hyundai is well on the way to surpassing Honda and Toyota in quality (already has IMHO) - I love driving their products.

Bottom line is drive a few, do your research on their quality, mileage and repair costs, then pick the one you like the best.

Looking at RAV 4s now.

Well..the wife is anyway.

I'm not giving up my F250! :lol:

Looking at RAV 4s now.

Well..the wife is anyway.

I'm not giving up my F250! :lol:

I resemble that! Wife's is the RAV 4, and she absolutely loves it! Mine is the Dakota 4x4. I will always have a good pickup, preferably 4x4! Looking at a Ford in a year or two.

My F-150 just got back from a three week trip from Knoxville out to California, via the southern route and then back via the northern route thru Utah and Wyoming and Colorado. It was towing my 21' Jayco travel trailer and housing the youngest daughter, her husband and the two youngest granddaughters. Steve said the truck never faltered and was as smooth as silk while towing. I'll keep buying Ford trucks for my ride an let my bride have the Honda Pilot.

Archived