SASS Wire Forum

Potential Competitor Seeking Firearm Advice

Cholla Hill Tirador

The wife and I attended/watched our first CAS match last Saturday and we really enjoyed it. A buddy who competed even let us both run through one of the scenarios. What a hoot! So now I'm interested. I've been a gun nut all my life, so am familiar with most models and types used in the competition. I'm a 30 year veteran of handloading and have been casting bullets for 15 or so years.

All the competitors I watched use some variety of Colt SAA's for a handgun with almost all of them chambered in 38 Spec/357 Mag. I'm going to cut to the chase: I love the looks of Colt Bisley's. Will they work OK? Just from comparing them to 1873's, they appear to have a frame and grip that places the bore lower thus aiding in recoil reduction. The hammer spur is also lower and appears it would be quicker and easier to manipulate than that of the '73.

I'd also like to use rifle and pistols chambered in either .44 Special or .44 Magnum with of course the intent to use light .44 Special loads or possibly even .44 Russians. I know the 38 Spec is "better", but I think it'd be fun to shoot something different than the masses. Does anyone sell a Bisley repro chambered in 44 Spec or 44 MAg that doesn't cost a months wages?

For a rifle, I've found there are lots of levers chambered in 44 Mag, but some of the '92 repro's seem to be priced right. Are the '92's good options and if so, is any one brand better than another?

Before anyone flames me for my choice of equipment let me say that I'm more interested in shooting for enjoyment than trying to be a world champion and I get enjoyment out of using my favorite guns rather than what might be "best" (I currently shoot High Power competition with a 60 year old rifle).

Thanks for any advice!

TXF

First thing you are going to have to come up with a new alias as that one is already taken by one of our shooting champs.

No one hardly uses Colt Bisley clones. They just are not at all popular. Uberti makes a Colt Bisley clone and it might be chambered in 44 special but not 44 Mag. Problem would be availability, i.e. just finding a pair. Lots of folks use Ruger Bisley Vaqueros both the original large frame version which is discontinued and the smaller current New Vaquero Bisley still in production but only made in 357 and 45 colt.

The big ole discontinued Ruger Bisley Vaquero was made in 44 mag and there are plenty of them out there still on the market.

The 92 Winchester and the Rossi and Italian copies are about 4th on the list after the Uberti 73 and 66 and the Marlin for popularity in this game. They can be slicked and run fine just are not as popular with us gunsels as the 66, 73 and Marlin 94. Marlin made some 44 Mag CBs but they are hard to find these days and pricey. Best bet would be a 44 special Uberti 73. Check with Long Hunter Shooting Supply and see if he can find one from Cimarron or EMF or Taylors. They are like hen's teeth but would be just the ticket for 44 spcl and with one of Adirondack Jack's short carriers might could be made to work with 44 Russians.

Welcome to the fire and the fun.

As much as you can, go to matches and ask folks to try out some guns. What you think you like may not feel right when you try it. It will save you a lot of time and grief if you can be pretty sure what you want before you buy it. Don't be mislead by bargain stuff, buy good equipment, nothing ruins a day worse than gun trouble. Welcome!!

Guest diablo slim shootist

this my 2 cents worth...

Buy 2 ruger black hawks in 44 sp...or Bisley black hawks $400-500

or open tops on 44 sp -you will not find colt bisleys in 44 maybe 45

used Marlin in 44 mag

shot gun of your choice ;)

First thing you are going to have to come up with a new alias as that one is already taken by one of our shooting champs.

No one hardly uses Colt Bisley clones. They just are not at all popular. Uberti makes a Colt Bisley clone and it might be chambered in 44 special but not 44 Mag. Problem would be availability, i.e. just finding a pair. Lots of folks use Ruger Bisley Vaqueros both the original large frame version which is discontinued and the smaller current New Vaquero Bisley still in production but only made in 357 and 45 colt.

The big ole discontinued Ruger Bisley Vaquero was made in 44 mag and there are plenty of them out there still on the market. There is one sitting on the rack at my local toy store that has been there for months waiting for a new owner. They are available.

The 92 Winchester and the Rossi and Italian copies are about 4th on the list after the Uberti 73 and 66 and the Marlin for popularity in this game. They can be slicked and run fine just are not as popular with us gunsels as the 66, 73 and Marlin 94. Marlin made some 44 Mag CBs but they are hard to find these days and pricey. Again there is one sitting at my toy store waiting for a new owner. It has some nicks in the stock and isn't selling. At $600 is would be a great starter rifle for a new cowboy. Best bet would be a 44 special Uberti 73. Check with Long Hunter Shooting Supply and see if he can find one from Cimarron or EMF or Taylors. They are like hen's teeth but would be just the ticket for 44 spcl and with one of Adirondack Jack's short carriers might could be made to work with 44 Russians.

Welcome to the fire and the fun.

If you plan to use .44 Russians in the rifle, you will need a '66 or '73 with the AJ carrier as stated above. I use a '73 in .44 special with the carrier and run .44 Russian thru it. It is a very slick set-up. You will have to change the carrier back to the stock version to run .44 specials. I also shoot a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros in .44 special. Lipsey's made a few of them, and a pair of reproduction Smith & Wesson Model 3 Russians in naturally .44 Russian.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Looks like everyone here is about as nice as the folks at the match I attended. I'll take all this advice into consideration while I'm going through my safe trying to figure what I can sell to finance more guns!

That's not my handle nor an intended handle...rather a description of how I pay for my shooting addiction. ;)

TXF

Lots of good advice. Especially the statement about what you first think would be great equipment and what you might think 6 months or a year later?

Be cautious at first. Start shooting some matches with your pards guns. I am sure other folks would let you run some of their guns.

Then start making gun and leather decisions:) Many a cowboy has bought lots of gear and guns, only to re buy Better, the right or different gear.

Welcome.

Lead Ringer

P.S. Always buy your wife the best and most relable guns ans leather possible!!! If she's having fun, she will get into it and it will be a fun family sport for years!!

See ya!

If you weren't stuck on the 44 caliber,but just like the big bore stuff, there's a used Uberti '73 in 45LC over in the classifieds for $850.00

I sure understand coming up with the scratch for guns, and I made some expensive mistakes buying guns. I'm just now about to get things settled out, by selling the stuff that didn't work for me, or was gonna cost as much as a premium rifle(for example) to make work.

To make a long story short, your search may be easier in 45LC caliber to round up your pistols and rifles. Easier doesn't necessarily mean 44 special will be impossible though, just might take a little more time.

Welcome aboard, you're really gonna enjoy this sport, already having a firearms and reloading background, you're just gonna love it.

Howdy, there's a lot folks in my area that shoot Bisleys. If'n you want to shoot one handed there a great gun for that. Just bought a pair in 44 Mag myself and a 92 Rossi

to go with them. The Rossi will work fine with a little work! I bought the video and springs from Steve's Gunz and smoothed it up myself. Turned out pretty good, even feeds 44 spl. O.K.

P.S. one of are top shooters use Bisleys

In my opinion, one of the things you need to determine is how competitive you want to be. Are you the type of person who can enjoy shooting even though you are ranked at the bottom of the category of your choice?

There are a lot of SASS shooters who enjoy the companionship, the opportunity to handle old guns, and the ambiance of CAS matches no matter where they finish in competition. There are others who are driven to place at or near the top of the heap. The nice thing about our sport is it gives both types of shooters an opportunity for the activity they enjoy.

So, if you do not expect to be concerned about about where you rank in competition, you can shoot anything you want.

But, recognize that your goals may change over time. As my older, shorter, heavier evil twin brother Noz once said, " I didn't care anything about winning until I actually won something!" He placed first in Frontiersman category (congratulations again, Noz) at the Kansas State Championships a few years ago, and he hasn't been the same since!!

Most of us have more than one set of CAS guns. If your goal is to only own 2 revolvers, 1 rifle, and one shotgun for Cowboy Action Shooting, then you should delay purchasing anything until you figure out what kind of cowboy you are. If the possibility of owning several sets of CAS guns appeals to you, then dive in and get to shooting.

Guest Jess Money

"...Don't be mislead by bargain stuff, buy good equipment, nothing ruins a day worse than gun trouble..."

AMEN! Like so many other newbies have over the years, I purchased a pair of revolvers that I had done extensive research on and decided they were just what I wanted. After going through the needed internal modifications of polishing parts, replacing springs and the filing of sights to correct elevation, I still had to resort to a gunsmith to tweak the barrels in the frame to shoot closer to point of aim. Had I taken the opportunity to shoot any of the various revolvers I was offered to use at the matches before I made my purchase, I may have found a brand that consistently shot POI out of the box, even if they required slicking up. POI is what I'm still trying to achieve. The gunsmith I used to tweak the barrel lives in another state and the hassle to ship the guns to him and the wait for their return was a PIA. Now I have to do it again because while one gun shoots fine and is as accurate as I can shoot it, I'm having to send the other one back for more tweaking on the barrel to get it to shoot POI.

If I had it to do over, I'd have taken the recommendation of veteran shooters and purchased a race ready pair of revolvers. Nothing tastes worse than your own bad advice to yourself. In the long run it would have been much cheaper and my frustration level would be limited as to how slow I am in a match.

In my opinion, one of the things you need to determine is how competitive you want to be. Are you the type of person who can enjoy shooting even though you are ranked at the bottom of the category of your choice?

There are a lot of SASS shooters who enjoy the companionship, the opportunity to handle old guns, and the ambiance of CAS matches no matter where they finish in competition. There are others who are driven to place at or near the top of the heap. The nice thing about our sport is it gives both types of shooters an opportunity for the activity they enjoy.

So, if you do not expect to be concerned about about where you rank in competition, you can shoot anything you want.

But, recognize that your goals may change over time. As my older, shorter, heavier evil twin brother Noz once said, " I didn't care anything about winning until I actually won something!" He placed first in Frontiersman category (congratulations again, Noz) at the Kansas State Championships a few years ago, and he hasn't been the same since!!

Most of us have more than one set of CAS guns. If your goal is to only own 2 revolvers, 1 rifle, and one shotgun for Cowboy Action Shooting, then you should delay purchasing anything until you figure out what kind of cowboy you are. If the possibility of owning several sets of CAS guns appeals to you, then dive in and get to shooting.

A big plus 1 to what JB is saying here. And adding to that....human nature will eventually kick in and you will find that, like most you will end up wanting to do better so get a shortstroked 73, a pair of slicked up Rugers of one type or another and the shotgun of your choice. My point is....if you can, why not start with equipment that is at the top of the game.....if you decide you don't like it.....it is easily peddled.

kk

ALL good advice.Go to a few matches and try everything you can get your hands on.What may be the most popular one may not feel right to you in your hands.Rugers are probably the best choice for durability,but if they don't feel right,then you'll be fighting with them til they become more comfortable.I had Rugers,but didn't like the feel or balance,so I sold them and bought other brands.The ones I shoot now feel and balance better and come right on point when I shoot.Now all I have to do is get those targets to stop moving out of the way when I pull the trigger.Had a 92 and they work very well as long as you don't care about shooting fast with your rifle.Very strong action but quite a bit slower to run than a 66 or 73, even stock ones.As to caliber, 38's are probably the most popular for a reason. Cheaper to buy if you don't reload and cheaper to reload if you do.Less powder,less lead needed to cast bullets like you say you do; or if you decide to buy bullets quite a bit less for that as well.Just don't hurry into buying ANYTHING til you've had a chance to try EVERYTHING you can.Welcome to the fun.

A big plus 1 to what JB is saying here. And adding to that....human nature will eventually kick in and you will find that, like most you will end up wanting to do better so get a shortstroked 73, a pair of slicked up Rugers of one type or another and the shotgun of your choice. My point is....if you can, why not start with equipment that is at the top of the game.....if you decide you don't like it.....it is easily peddled.

kk

I couldn't begin to count the number of folks that haven't followed this advice, and either went thru several guns getting to one they liked, or just quit in frustration... or bankruptcy. BUT, if you want something different, think .38-40! It's still useable in every category (finding a '92 Winch. or 1894 Marlin for BW might be a bit more trouble)... but it's actual diameter is .401 so it'll work for the classic cowboy category and it just reeks with an undeniable BP aura, tho' it's been loaded very successfully with that heathen smokeLESS stuff.

If your mind is set on the bisley type of firearm, there are plenty of ruger bisleys over at gunbroker.

In 357, 45 colt, and 41 mag even some in 22.

I saw two listings for stainless steel 357 mag.

I did not look to see what type of vaquero they were.

IE original or new.

Welcome..........

1 - Don't BUY anything except a pair of jeans and shirt. (You need to blend in)

2 - Go to all the clubs in the area and let them know you are coming.

3 - Shoot all the guns offered to you. (This will take several shoots)

4 - Then and only then should you think about making a purchase.

5 - Try to avoid falling in love with any gun. (Notice I said TRY)

PS - Cowboys are always selling off guns to make room for more guns.

Singing - If you're gonna play in Texas there's gotta be a fiddle in the band............

Welcome..........

1 - Don't BUY anything except a pair of jeans and shirt. (You need to blend in)

2 - Go to all the clubs in the area and let them know you are coming.

3 - Shoot all the guns offered to you. (This will take several shoots)

4 - Then and only then should you think about making a purchase.

5 - Try to avoid falling in love with any gun. (Notice I said TRY)

PS - Cowboys are always selling off guns to make room for more guns.

Singing - If you're gonna play in Texas there's gotta be a fiddle in the band............

This is good advice. I didn't follow it when I started, because I wanted to buy everything I needed before my first match. I ended up lucking into making the right choices to which I feel very fortunate. If I had bought everything that I wanted, I would have probably replaced a few guns by now.

The two lucky occurances that saved me:

1. I wanted to buy 7.5" barreled Vaqueros. These were too long for my wife (we shared guns for awhile), so we compromised on the 5.5" barrels. When I went to purchase at my local gunstore (who happened to have Vaqueros for 20% off), they only had one 5.5" gun. The only matching pair that they had were 4.75" barreled .357s, so I begrudging purchased them. Lucky break as I wouldn't shoot anything else now.

2. I was looking for a Marlin or a '92. I went to a gunstore near my work at lunch one day, and they had a Uberti '73 carbine with a beautiful tiger-striped stock. I'm a sucker for tiger-striped stocks, so I bought it. :)

"...Don't be mislead by bargain stuff, buy good equipment, nothing ruins a day worse than gun trouble..."

AMEN! Like so many other newbies have over the years, I purchased a pair of revolvers that I had done extensive research on and decided they were just what I wanted. After going through the needed internal modifications of polishing parts, replacing springs and the filing of sights to correct elevation, I still had to resort to a gunsmith to tweak the barrels in the frame to shoot closer to point of aim. Had I taken the opportunity to shoot any of the various revolvers I was offered to use at the matches before I made my purchase, I may have found a brand that consistently shot POI out of the box, even if they required slicking up. POI is what I'm still trying to achieve. The gunsmith I used to tweak the barrel lives in another state and the hassle to ship the guns to him and the wait for their return was a PIA. Now I have to do it again because while one gun shoots fine and is as accurate as I can shoot it, I'm having to send the other one back for more tweaking on the barrel to get it to shoot POI.

If I had it to do over, I'd have taken the recommendation of veteran shooters and purchased a race ready pair of revolvers. Nothing tastes worse than your own bad advice to yourself. In the long run it would have been much cheaper and my frustration level would be limited as to how slow I am in a match.

Jess, every gun shoots POI out of the box. What you want is POA. :)

Tx, echoing what others have said. Try different guns before you commit to one particular set. You will have a more harmonius outcome.

Go back to your profile and put your location in. That way folks will know where you're at and may possibly stear you to some clubs near you (not all CAS clubs are SASS affiliated) or gun dealers that you don't know about where you can get some good buys. There are a few out there that are kitchen table dealers or have small out shops off the beaten path with low overhead that won't soak you an arm and a leg for your needs. Or you may find one on the classifieds that someone near you has for sale and you could do a ftf and save the shipping & FFL transfer fees. But they can't offer to meet you if they don't have a clue to where you're located.

Once you've made up your mind exactly what you want, place a Wanted To Buy (WTB) ad in the classifieds. As a non SASS member you cannot sell anything in the classifieds, but you can buy. Same goes for clothes, boots, hats, gun rigs & accessories. By buying used or trading for something you no longer want you can save yourself some gold dust.

Welcome aboard.

As someone pointed out, the only Vaquero (fixed sight) Bisley is chambered in .357 or .45.

Lipsey's does have a flattop Bisley Blackhawk (adjustable sights) available in .44 Special. If you want a .44 Special Bisley that is an option but the Ruger Bisley is different from the Colt Bisley or its Uberti replica. I think the Bisley would be great for one handed shooting but I believe the adjustable sights knock you out of the duelist category.

I wouldn't get in a big hurry to buy guns. Borrow for a little longer and figure out what you want.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Thanks for all the replies. I do need to take things slowly. MAybe I'll load my own ammo and shoot a match with borrowed equipment.

Thanks for all the advice.

Welcome !!!

But You really Don't WANT to shoot .44 specials !!!!!

Ya can't shoot them and fit in with da herd,,,,because Ya earn to many style points shooting "the Special.....

Especially if you use the finest pointing Cartridge gun ever made ,,,,, The Open-top ......

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks for all the replies. I do need to take things slowly. MAybe I'll load my own ammo and shoot a match with borrowed equipment.

Thanks for all the advice.

Just a thought. Many cowboys will want you to use their ammo in their guns. Always offer to pay but I think you will find that most will refuse any money...... But lunch would be accepted most of the time.

Just a thought. Many cowboys will want you to use their ammo in their guns. Always offer to pay but I think you will find that most will refuse any money...... But lunch would be accepted most of the time.

Absolutely. I'm always glad to loan my guns as long as you are shooting my ammo. :)

All the competitors I watched use some variety of Colt SAA's for a handgun with almost all of them chambered in 38 Spec/357 Mag. I'm going to cut to the chase: I love the looks of Colt Bisley's. Will they work OK? Just from comparing them to 1873's, they appear to have a frame and grip that places the bore lower thus aiding in recoil reduction. The hammer spur is also lower and appears it would be quicker and easier to manipulate than that of the '73.

If you're not stuck on the Bisley frame, check out Taylor's Runnin' Irons or the SASS Vaquero. Both of those are set up with low wide hammer spurs to aid in hammer manipulation. I've owned both and they're fantastic guns.

I'd also like to use rifle and pistols chambered in either .44 Special or .44 Magnum with of course the intent to use light .44 Special loads or possibly even .44 Russians. I know the 38 Spec is "better", but I think it'd be fun to shoot something different than the masses. Does anyone sell a Bisley repro chambered in 44 Spec or 44 MAg that doesn't cost a months wages?

Ain't no such thing as "better". Yes, you'll find most competitors use .38 Special but that has as much to do with $$$ as it does with being competitive. Whatever caliber makes YOU happy is the best one. ;)

Before anyone flames me for my choice of equipment let me say that I'm more interested in shooting for enjoyment than trying to be a world champion and I get enjoyment out of using my favorite guns rather than what might be "best" (I currently shoot High Power competition with a 60 year old rifle).

Thanks for any advice!

TXF

Flaming someone's choice of shooting equipment is about the same as flaming someone's choice of truck. You're always gonna have the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge discussions but, the bottom line is that we're all here to shoot and have fun. You shoot whatever you want to maximize your enjoyment. If we see you leaning toward a product that's known to have reliability issues we'll warn you of that but, as far as personal opinions of how different guns look and feel, that's entirely up to you. Again, whatever makes YOU happy is the right gun for YOU.

P.S. Ford :FlagAm::D

I really hope you are listening to these folks. All good advice.

I am going to give some more advice just so you will be really confused. Here it goes:

I know you like the .44 special/Russian, etc. BUT have you checked out what the loading components (read: bullets) will cost? The more lead you buy, the more expensive it's going to get. The .38 special is by far cheaper to run because you can buy once fired brass for about .04 each, and bullets will run you way less than a .40/.45 caliber bullet.

Pistols - the "Gold Standard" for Cowboy is the Ruger Vaquero. Buy a pair and they will last you for life (unless you plan on putting 50K rounds down range every year). If you don't like them, you can sell them and get 90% of your money out of them. Unless you buy original Colts, you will not get that kind of return on anything else.

Rifle - DO NOT buy a 92! The Marlin - yes. Uberti 73- again "Gold Standard". Shotgun - you are on your own there, just make sure it's a 12 gauge (and no, the 20ga. does NOT shoot softer than the 12 and the shells, again, will be more expensive).

Just as others have said here: TRY EVERYTHING you can get your hands on. If you have a "hot-dog, top-shooter" at the next match you go to, go ask to shoot his equipment and then ask him/her why they chose the guns they are shooting.

I really hope you are listening to these folks. All good advice.

I am going to give some more advice just so you will be really confused. Here it goes:

I know you like the .44 special/Russian, etc. BUT have you checked out what the loading components (read: bullets) will cost? The more lead you buy, the more expensive it's going to get. The .38 special is by far cheaper to run because you can buy once fired brass for about .04 each, and bullets will run you way less than a .40/.45 caliber bullet.

Pistols - the "Gold Standard" for Cowboy is the Ruger Vaquero. Buy a pair and they will last you for life (unless you plan on putting 50K rounds down range every year). If you don't like them, you can sell them and get 90% of your money out of them. Unless you buy original Colts, you will not get that kind of return on anything else.

Rifle - DO NOT buy a 92! The Marlin - yes. Uberti 73- again "Gold Standard". Shotgun - you are on your own there, just make sure it's a 12 gauge (and no, the 20ga. does NOT shoot softer than the 12 and the shells, again, will be more expensive).

Just as others have said here: TRY EVERYTHING you can get your hands on. If you have a "hot-dog, top-shooter" at the next match you go to, go ask to shoot his equipment and then ask him/her why they chose the guns they are shooting.

Dan, that's about as good as it gets

Wyatt

Hey Wyatt,

I think somebody had broken into Dan's computer and stole his SASS WIRE password.

That was a darn good post and very thoughtout advice.

..........Widder

Lots of great advice here. I'll just add one more thing: If you plan on shooting in any fast draw events one of your pistols will have to be a Colt SAA or clone in .45 LC -- the ammo is wax and often supplied by the sponsoring club in .45 only.

Hey Wyatt,

I think somebody had broken into Dan's computer and stole his SASS WIRE password.

That was a darn good post and very thoughtout advice.

..........Widder

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is how you can go from Hero, to Zero on the SASS wire.

Howdy

First off, the original poster was asking about Colt Bisleys and Colt clone Bisleys. Many of the responders have talked about Ruger Bisleys.

They are not the same!

This is a Colt Bisley:

Colt Bisley

This is a Ruger Bisley:

Ruger Bisley

The Bisley Colt was developed by Colt as a target pistol in 1894. It was designed specifically to compete with the Smith and Wesson New Model Number Three, which was one of the most popular target pistols of the late 19th Century. The Bisley model was only produced from 1894 until 1915. It came in two versions, standard open sights and a target version with a drift adjustable rear sight and a square target front sight. The Bisley Colt was named after the Bisley range near London (England). It was introduced at the National Pistol Championships there. Colt actually anticipated brisk sales in Europe, but the Bisley model never caught on in Europe, it was more popular here in the states. There were 44,350 fixed sight Bisley Colts made and only 976 of the target version. Incidentally, the Bisley Colt was never factory chambered for 44 Special. 455 Eley, 450 Eley, 45 Colt, 44-40, 44 S&W, 44 Russian, 41 Colt, 38-40, 38 Special, 38 S&W, 38 Colt, 32-20, 32-44 S&W, 32 S&W, and 32 Colt. But no 44 Special.

The Ruger version of the Bisley model is only an approximation of the original Bisley Colt. Notice how much farther forward the grip frame of the Bisley Colt extends. The Ruger version is much more straight up an down. It is actually more like Elmer Keith's famous No 5 revolver than the original Bisley Colt.

Keith Number Five

Many shooters favor the Ruger Bisley for heavy recoil because they can easily fit their entire hand on the grip.

As for shooting a Bisley Colt in SASS, it really is not very well suited. The extreme forward curl of the grip makes it tend to point down slightly when held with a modern straight arm grip. In the 19th Century, many shooters shot with a slightly bent elbow, and the Colt Bisley model points best when shot with a slightly bent elbow.

Regarding placement of the bore of the Bisley Colt, no it is not any lower. As matter of fact the Bisley Colt frame is ever so slightly deeper than the standard Colt Single Action Army frame. Not enough to be noticeable, but enough that the Bisley grip frame will not fit a standard SAA frame.

The Uberti version of the Bisley is a faithful reproduction of the Bisley Colt. The shape is just about identical. And like the Bisley Colt, the Uberti version of the Bisley is not strong enough to have been chambered for 44 Mag. The Ruger version had a bigger frame and cylinder and could take full 44 Magnum loadings, but not the original.

No, the Bisley Colt, or its Uberti clone is definitely not for everyone. But they are very distinctive and very different. The one in the photo is mine. It was rechambered to 44 Special at some point after it was made in 1908. I have not yet lettered it to find out what the configuration was when it left the factory. Although I have put a few Smokeless 44 Special rounds through it I usually shoot 44 Russians loaded with Black Powder through it. No, I will never win any awards with it. But I sure have a good time shooting it.

Hey Widder

Cracking Dan's password was not hard once you get to know him......................Like his favorite movie :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Sorry Dan.......change your password :lol:

Wyatt

Archived