SASS Wire Forum

Do You Have a Gun in Your House?

Caliope Cupcake #13981

Do you have a gun in your house? Who is asking you? This was sent to me from a friend. Is is true?

Everyone! Whether you have guns or not, should give a neutral answer.

The Government now requires this question be asked of people on Medicare, and probably everyone else eventually.

"If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them," says a retired Police officer with the Texas Highway Patrol. "I have been asked if we keep guns in the house while at the doctor. The nurse just kinda slipped it in along with all the other regular questions, and I said I refused to answer because it was against the law to ask. My doctor asked me if I had guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded gun close to my bed. I answered that my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also works for Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked-up gun is no protection against criminal attack. The government has gone on record as considering veterans and other gun owners potential terrorists. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom."

From a retired Police Officer: "When I had to visit a doctor other than my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation, one of the questions on the form I had to fill out was: Do you have any guns in your house?? My answer was, "None of your damn business!!" So it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention. Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your medical records, it may become a major issue, Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and gun owners...Thanks."

From a Vietnam Vet: "I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions: 1. Did I feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone? The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next and then civilians. Be forewarned and be aware."

Do you have a gun in your house? Who is asking you? This was sent to me from a friend. Is is true?

Everyone! Whether you have guns or not, should give a neutral answer.

The Government now requires this question be asked of people on Medicare, and probably everyone else eventually.

"If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them," says a retired Police officer with the Texas Highway Patrol. "I have been asked if we keep guns in the house while at the doctor. The nurse just kinda slipped it in along with all the other regular questions, and I said I refused to answer because it was against the law to ask. My doctor asked me if I had guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded gun close to my bed. I answered that my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also works for Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked-up gun is no protection against criminal attack. The government has gone on record as considering veterans and other gun owners potential terrorists. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom."

From a retired Police Officer: "When I had to visit a doctor other than my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation, one of the questions on the form I had to fill out was: Do you have any guns in your house?? My answer was, "None of your damn business!!" So it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention. Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your medical records, it may become a major issue, Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and gun owners...Thanks."

From a Vietnam Vet: "I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions: 1. Did I feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone? The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next and then civilians. Be forewarned and be aware."

Another debunked urban legend, Cupcake.

Another debunked urban legend, Cupcake.

Got that right. I'm on medicare and have never been asked that. Might be because when I go to see the doc, I ask if it is necessary for me to take my handgun out of my pocket and stash it in a drawer till he is thru. Depending on the procedure that he is going to do.

:lol:

My family doctor, chiropractor and eye doctor are all gun people. When we get new carry guns, we show them off to each other during the visit, following all safety rules of course. The eye doctor even had me bring in a rifle so that he could adjust the focal point of my shooting glasses.

I know one thing,the post office is gettin a little nosier lately,i sent some grips out a few weeks ago and the guy at the window was asking extra questions and then pointed to another hand writtin posted sign,i told them well they are just grips,but i really don't have to share the with you,besides it won't go off until 10 am tommorrow~ :)

:lol: I was a letter carrier for years in late 80s - early 90s, during all the shoot-em-ups, and the PO has enough problems with their own employees shootin eachother! let's face it, they've been hiring trained assassins over civilians for decades. When I took my entry exam, they were very outspoken about military service getting extra points added to their score depending on years of active service and clearly stated:

2 years = 5 extra points

4 years or more = 10 extra points

I got 97 and still had to wait a year to get called cuz I was up against 110 points---not 100

Post Office gives all Vets with 2-3-4-10-20 years of service 5 points. Only Purple Heart Vets get 10 points.

I worked for the U.S. Post Office as a clerk in Santa Ana '72-'73. Huntington Beach 1973-'74. San Jose 1976-'77.

I became a Letter Carrier for Milpitas, Ca 1979. Anaheim Ca 1981-1999. Been there, Done that.

Big Jake

P.S. They knew I had guns, lots of guns.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

"Do you have a gun in the house?"

"No."

Actually, that is a true answer. I have MORE than "a gun" in the house.

I've noticed the Army has started asking me if I own guns at every possible opportunity, in the interest of "safety."

The most recent piece of paperwork I saw was the Fort Hood redeployment safety checklist, written by someone who obviously had no idea what gun ownership was about. It told leaders to let their soldiers shoot many different guns at ranges before purchasing one (because buying a gun must be like buying a car), and then encouraged soldiers to purchase their guns through AAFES rather than a civilian dealer...

You know... because AAFES guns are... better? Or something? :wacko:

-Solo Sam

It's not all that farfetched of an idea, and maybe some people should do some research before gassing off and flaming the OP.

It's enough of an issue that the NRA and the Florida legislature felt compelled to act at least a year ago ... http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-05-13-nra-doctors-guns_n.htm

And the issue appears to be heating up ... http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-checkup/post/should-doctors-be-allowed-to-ask-about-guns-in-the-homeembargoed-till-thurs-nov-10-1201-am-et/2010/12/20/gIQAFizQ6M_blog.html

The argument being used is "public safety and health". From an article in Psych Central:

“Gun violence is often an unintended consequence of gun ownership. Americans have purchased millions of guns, predominantly handguns, believing that having a gun at home makes them safer. In fact, handgun purchasers substantially increase their risk of a violent death. This increase begins the moment the gun is acquired — suicide is the leading cause of death among handgun owners in the first year after purchase — and lasts for years. The risks associated with household exposure to guns apply not only to the people who buy them; epidemiologically, there can be said to be “passive” gun owners who are analogous to passive smokers. Living in a home where there are guns increases the risk of homicide by 40 to 170% and the risk of suicide by 90 to 460%.

All discussions with the patient and his or her family regarding firearms should be documented. When clinicians are doing a psychiatric examination of suicidal patients, they should inquire about the availability of firearms in the household. If a firearm is available, concerns about safety should be raised with the family and police. This is particularly true when children and adolescents reside in the household".

Given the current state of affairs on the political scene, and God-knows-what that's hidden in the 2700 pages of that healthcare reform obamanation law, the leap from "do you have one" to a raid isn't that much of a jump.

And by the way, The Book of Snopes isn't one of The Gospels.

I don't know about the VA, but doctors ARE asking about gun ownership. The AMA considers guns a "national health issue", and has taken the extreme view that all guns, regardless of legal ownership status, training or use, are health threats. My child's pediatrician asked these questions 10 years ago, and was politely informed that we did not share his prejudiced view of gun ownership. Interesting to watch a fella who is accustomed to full compliance when you tell him to mind his own business....is there a place on the form for such a response? :rolleyes:

LL

I got the question a number of times in military (Air Force) physicals over the past few years. Supposedly in the interest of research, just like "do you smoke?" or "do you drink alcohol?" I always declined to answer the question and the docs and nurses were apparently trained to expect that response from some people and respected that right. There was even some acknowledgement of the right to privacy on the issue from senior military leaders a few years back. I always was amused by the question as I sat there with my SIG on my hip filling out the questionnaire. :FlagAm:

i Have been asked if I guns in the house several times on questionaires at my Doc's office. I always left it blank. Had a family member put a yes in the block and get a /12 hour lecture about the dangers of owing a gun

It is disturbing to have CDC, AMA and other "medical" organizations be a part of the anti-gun movement. Just hearing about it makes me want to organize some pressure to shut that part down. This gets my blood boiling.

My doctor of 25 some years was great, we talked about guns before we got down to the issue at hand. When he decided to retire from reloading (he figured he'd buy factory ammo), I bought all of his stuff waaaaaaaaaaay cheap. That was 4 years ago and I'm still using it up.

The trouble is if you BELIEVE everything you read from Snopes you'll be setting yourself up for a fall. Snopes has been proven to be politically driven and doesn't necessarily give you the "truth".

Use common sense, research as best you can, and it's up to the individual as to what to believe. I "believe" that this is the type of back door action that Obama would use to get guns out of our hands.

My four cents worth,

Barry Sloe

Air Force 32 years, 30% VA disability and a number of grandkids. No one has ever asked me if I keep a gun in the house during any hospital or doctors office visit. If I were they'd get the "None of your d@mned business" response. Never seen it on any form I filled out either.

Barry Sloe, there are a number of different debunking and urban legend sites out there to check things on. When they all say the same thing they might be close to the truth.

However, the base I live close to is now requiring military memebers who live on base to register their weapons with base Security Forces.

And by the way, The Book of Snopes isn't one of The Gospels.

That's correct. It does have liberal leanings, but is usually pretty factual. It is better to balance it out with TruthOrFiction.com, Urbanmyths.com, and FactCheck.org.

I don't know about the VA, but doctors ARE asking about gun ownership. The AMA considers guns a "national health issue", and has taken the extreme view that all guns, regardless of legal ownership status, training or use, are health threats. My child's pediatrician asked these questions 10 years ago, and was politely informed that we did not share his prejudiced view of gun ownership. Interesting to watch a fella who is accustomed to full compliance when you tell him to mind his own business....is there a place on the form for such a response? :rolleyes:

LL

The American Academy of Family Practice 'requires' its members to include asking about firearms in the personal history. I did, but I reworded it, "Do you have firearms in the home, and if not, why not?" :ph34r:

The American Academy of Family Practice 'requires' its members to include asking about firearms in the personal history. I did, but I reworded it, "Do you have firearms in the home, and if not, why not?" :ph34r:

:lol:

That's correct. It does have liberal leanings, but is usually pretty factual. It is better to balance it out with TruthOrFiction.com, Urbanmyths.com, and FactCheck.org.

Exactly. More often than not those sites are in agreement. Some folks just want some things to be true so bad they won't accept an answer they don't like.

i Have been asked if I guns in the house several times on questionaires at my Doc's office. I always left it blank. Had a family member put a yes in the block and get a /12 hour lecture about the dangers of owing a gun. That Lecture would last all of 5 seconds with me Trailboss before I would start lecturing them.

However, the base I live close to is now requiring military memebers who live on base to register their weapons with base Security Forces. I had to register my gun when I was stationed at Dugway Proving Grounds Utah living on base back in the early '80s

The American Academy of Family Practice 'requires' its members to include asking about firearms in the personal history. I did, but I reworded it, "Do you have firearms in the home, and if not, why not?" :ph34r: you are my hero now Okie, I guess I have to take back my tar & feathers comment I made about you in the saloon

Post Office gives all Vets with 2-3-4-10-20 years of service 5 points. Only Purple Heart Vets get 10 points.

I worked for the U.S. Post Office as a clerk in Santa Ana '72-'73. Huntington Beach 1973-'74. San Jose 1976-'77.

I became a Letter Carrier for Milpitas, Ca 1979. Anaheim Ca 1981-1999. Been there, Done that.

Big Jake

P.S. They knew I had guns, lots of guns.

Jake, that's why they hired ya! :D I retired from PO in the 90s but when I started in OC in the early 80s. They explained to everyone in the warehouse-size room full of testers as in my previous post---that those with 4 yrs or more of service would get a "10 point advantage" on their test score. They most likely have changed it over time [after all the shootings!] like they do Postmaster Generals and everything else. ...just sayin'

A contributing factor may have been my particular testsite. It was in Santa Ana near the location of the 1940s WWll military base by the water tower, which is now homes, schools, businesses.

I do not recall answering any firearms questions on PO application or any other application. I don't know if its an issue on today's teacher contracts or not.

I answer that question every year right before my hearing exam. What did ya say??? LOL

CAUTION!

Do not leave guns in dark places like safes, closets, or bedside drawers as there is a lot of gun hanky-panky going on. If you own more than one gun, you know what I mean.

In my hand I have a " Welcome to Medicare " form from my medical doctor. This form is to be filled out before my Medicare physical visit. In addition to the normal health condition questions, included is a mental health question section. In this section are questions such as; Do you feel sad? Do you feel threatened? Does anyone in your home threaten you? Also included in this section is the question; Do you have firearms in your house? Yes, No, DNA. They will get a DNA answer. I would not answer any questions with the comment " None of your business " as ha been previously mentioned as the person could be branded as a " Hostile Person". After enduring 3 attempts at identity theft, I no longer give answers to many questions as I wonder how much personal information is available to anybody that requests such information. Keep your eyes open to all this phishing nonsense. Good shooting to all. Nota John

I work as a security officer in a hospital. Got hurt fighting a psyche patient and had to be seen in ER. The Dr. steps in and asks if I have anything I could use to hurt her with? I look up and say, yes my hands, my feet, my elbows, my knees, my keys, my ball point pen, that chair, that table...she stops me and asks me if I'm carrying a gun. I answer, not currently, do you want me to continue because I have several other things on my person and within my reach I could hurt you with if I so desired. I then look at her and say...kind of a silly question isn't it?

I wish the ama would learn their place.

Not having a gun is dereliction of family duty to protect ones self and family.

Not using it to protect self/family is just plain stupid. (within reason)

The medical problem would be if the doctor would deny treatment/coverage because a patient needing medical treatment owns a gun at home.

I would call that malpractice.

Archived