SASS Wire Forum

Drawing a line in the sand

Creeker, SASS #43022

There are currently threads going that reference intermixing Wild Bunch shooters with Cowboy shooters;

reference categories for shooters that don't want to shoot all the required guns (either by choice, economics or infirmity), even a response on one of the threads that speaks of allowing shooters to use non cowboy guns to play.

Every other game has it's requirements for participation; levels of equipment, activity or ability.

If you don't have, can't afford or can't (or don't want to) play within the requirements of the game - you don't play.

But if you say these things at a cowboy shoot, you're a pariah.

I want to play cowboy - against folks shooting the same game, same equipment, same options.

If I just wanted to go out shooting with folks using any type of firearm, I would go to the public practice range.

How inclusive do we have to be? When exactly is enough, enough?

Opinions are like........... :blush:

Unfortunatly I don't think you really can draw a difinitive line. I'll use two of the examples you've already mentioned; Wild Bunch and too few guns.

As I've made very obviouls, I do NOT support mixing Wild Bunch and CAS. They're two completely separate sports and should remain that way. On the other hand, if a shooter only has a rifle, shotgun and one pistol I'm not going to turn them away from our monthly match. So there you have it, different people are gonna "bend the rules" different amounts depending on their definition of what's right and wrong.

On the other hand, if a shooter only has a rifle, shotgun and one pistol I'm not going to turn them away from our monthly match.

I'm not going to turn them away either,

If they want to play with all the equipment, I AM going to equip them to shoot the monthly match.

But if they are CAPABLE of playing with all the equipment, but simply choose not too (no matter what the reason).

I am NOT going to simply create another category to accomodate their shortcoming.

And you specifically mention "Monthly" match. Why?

If it is good enough to do at a monthly, isn't it appropriate to do at an annual?

And the converse is true as well - if you wouldn't do it at an annual - why would you allow it at a monthly?

I'm not picking on Philly as he is my friend and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Just he gave me the next question in this thread.

Creeker,

I like to shoot "COWBOY" Wild Bunch as a diversion. I have the proper belt A Kimber 1911 type 45 ACP pistol, a Marlin 45 LC rifle and a 1897 shotgun. All perfecly legal you say. Yet one Club I frequent won't let me shoot, because my Kimber has a 4 inch barrel instead of the 5 inch that is prescribed. Other Clubs don't give a flip about it. I have no intention of ever shooting any other than a monthly with it.

Should this be considered a no-no at a monthly. I understand it wouldn't qualify at a State or above shoot, but at a monthly, should 1 inch of barrel length stop me from shooting??? Seems kind of silly to me.

RBK

Creeker,

I like to shoot "COWBOY" Wild Bunch as a diversion. I have the proper belt A Kimber 1911 type 45 ACP pistol, a Marlin 45 LC rifle and a 1897 shotgun. All perfecly legal you say. Yet one Club I frequent won't let me shoot, because my Kimber has a 4 inch barrel instead of the 5 inch that is prescribed. Other Clubs don't give a flip about it. I have no intention of ever shooting any other than a monthly with it.

Should this be considered a no-no at a monthly. I understand it wouldn't qualify at a State or above shoot, but at a monthly, should 1 inch of barrel length stop me from shooting??? Seems kind of silly to me.

RBK

The club that denied you has drawn their line in the sand.

They are going to follow the "Rules", the other clubs have decided they will ignore the rules so you can play with "illegal equipment".

That is the question.

Why is it that a game that has written rules and procedures is so quick to throw them out in the name of inclusiveness?

And how inclusive do we need to be?

Creeker,

RBK

I think this is an example of "drawing a line in the sand". If you allow Wild Bunch in a monthly, at least follow the rules of Wild Bunch.

As far as the original post, I joined SASS in 2002. When I joined I only owned one single action pistol. Instead of asking if I could come play with my double action pistols, I bought another single action. When asked by new shooters if they could come shoot their DA pistols in a monthly, I have given the answer, no, but you can borrow one of my SA's.

I agree with Creeker's orginal post, if you can't or won't play by the rules and with the proper equipment, then don't play.

Bear

I guess Creeker types faster than I do!

If you get to shoot your 1911, I want to shoot my AR.

It's not cowboy!!! It was just a bad boring movie!

MHO is, and always has been, "Wild Bunch" is just CAS shooting 1911s. NO MO No Less. If they want to make it REAL Wild Bunch, they need to use 30-40 Krags, NOT Marlin lever guns. I didn't see a single one in the movie.

That said, I (Myself) am NOT a fan of "wild Bunch". Go shoot regular 3 gun matches, and wear your wierd outfits. MHO. Flame on!!!

Al

There are currently threads going that reference intermixing Wild Bunch shooters with Cowboy shooters;

reference categories for shooters that don't want to shoot all the required guns (either by choice, economics or infirmity), even a response on one of the threads that speaks of allowing shooters to use non cowboy guns to play.

Every other game has it's requirements for participation; levels of equipment, activity or ability.

If you don't have, can't afford or can't (or don't want to) play within the requirements of the game - you don't play.

But if you say these things at a cowboy shoot, you're a pariah.

I want to play cowboy - against folks shooting the same game, same equipment, same options.

If I just wanted to go out shooting with folks using any type of firearm, I would go to the public practice range.

How inclusive do we have to be? When exactly is enough, enough?

I agree with you Creeker. There have been a lot of changes since I started the game, some of them I agreed with, some of them I didn't.. but the bottom line is that I still enjoy playing and competing in CAS. There is no doubt that changes will occur. But if we want this game to continue to have the Full "Flavor" of the Old West, then it is up to us... the members, to keep it that way. I can swing up or down with the categories or the fine tunning of the rules, but when this game moves away from playing Cowboy.... then I'm finished! I thought that was happening a fews years ago, but I actually think that it is making somewhat of a comeback. I can tell you that the matches I direct input on are moving back to a bit more game playing, and a bit less "Stand and Deliver". (I can do that shooting at the gravel pit)

Snakebite

RBK; Why did you buy a Kimber with a 4 inch barrel? If you had it before Wild Bunch, I understand and would let you shoot it. 1 inch ain't going to make or break a match, but if you knew that you might shoot

Wild Bunch and bought it because you might want to use it for CCW also....well your pushing it.

I have a Kimber with a 5 inch barrel and if I ever want to shoot Wild Bunch, I can. Just sayin'

Big Jake

SASS and WB are accomodating enough by the nature of the participants. I've never seen anyone turned away for lack of guns or ammo.

And the rules are the rules. Seems easy enough. Why stress over it? If the club offers WB... I may or I might not. Heck, it may even depend on whether I've got enough ammo or a gun is broken.

It's all fun trigger time.

That said, I (Myself) am NOT a fan of "wild Bunch". Go shoot regular 3 gun matches, and wear your wierd outfits. MHO. Flame on!!!

Al

"Weird outfits"

Chuckle chuckle. :lol:

Well I am going to through in my .02 for what its worth

A good WB match is not CAS with 1911's....

BUT if small local clubs do not have a monthly WB match available why not mix the two...

Wright the stage for the the CAS shooter and a re-wright the stage for the WB shooter and score accordingly keep all the WB shooters on one posse...if they have enough shooters for a lone WB posse even better...Scores are keep separate CAS shooters do not shoot against WB shooters ...kind of like having a match within a match.

And why not have a one pistol, one rifle, one shotgun class...you could call it Tenderfoot, Greenhorn, Sugarfoot, Novices or whatever

This class would be strictly for the new shooter.

1. Shooters in this class must have less then one year shooting CAS.

2. Never shot a match in a fully recognized class.

3. Shooters in this class would only shoot against others in this class.

(ineligible for overall match awards, ineligible for clean match awards other then within this class)

4. Shooters in this class would shoot 1/2 the number of pistol rounds and 1/2 the number of shotgun rounds ( See required shotgun)

Required Guns:

1. Pistol: any SASS legal pistol, .22 caliber single action pistols

2. Rifle: any SASS legal rifle, .22 caliber lever action rifle with exposed hammer

3. Shotgun: any SASS legal Shotgun, single shot shotgun with exposed hammer

(.410 shotgun may only be used if shooter meets SASS requirements for the .410)

We will all agree that this sport is not cheep the minimum one can expect to spend just to start playing is:

Pistols: $450.00 each $900.00

Rifle: $450.00 $450.00

Shotgun $350:00 $350.00

leather with shotgun belt or slide $200.00

Cloths $100.00

Total $2000.00

For the 2k you still have not bought your bullets, built a cart or paid your first match fee that is a heck of a chunk of change for someone to come up with all at once.

There people out there who would like to play our game and may have some of the guns or are starting from scratch and do not feel right using loners.

Why not open things up a little so others can join our game.

If you think that's bad try joining a country club to play golf, running a race bike, shooting sporting clays, skiing, fly- fishing, big game hunting ...... and on and on and on.

From what I've seen at the clubs I've been lucky enough to shoot at all someone has to do is show up and have some interest. We'll put guns and leather on 'em if they'll just hold still!

Why not open things up a little so others can join our game.

Ok, so how much exactly?

Maybe we can mix in some modern three gun shooters as well, call it tactical cowboy?

Some folks think the cowboy attire is silly, maybe we can have a time traveler cowboy category for folks with all the correct guns, but wanting to dress modern?

And for some the old west guns are so restrictive, some would prefer to use Smith & Wesson double action revolvers, a Marlin camp rifle and a Remington 870, but they are willing to dress old west.

Maybe thats a Terra Nova category, the items were just sent from the future.

I bet the Zoot Shooters are a lot of fun - we should have them in our posse as well.

Games have rules.

How much are you willing to disregard the rules to allow more people to play?

RBK; Why did you buy a Kimber with a 4 inch barrel? If you had it before Wild Bunch, I understand and would let you shoot it. 1 inch ain't going to make or break a match, but if you knew that you might shoot

Wild Bunch and bought it because you might want to use it for CCW also....well your pushing it.

I have a Kimber with a 5 inch barrel and if I ever want to shoot Wild Bunch, I can. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Big Jake, I bought this Kimber 9 years ago, 7 plus years before I started Shooting CAS, and Yes it was bought with the intention of personal carry on some occasions, and to use as a qualifying weapon for CHL proficiency testing. It's a fine shooter, costing nearly $1000 and accurate as any I ever put my hand on. Why would I want to, or should I have to, invest another $1000 to get another inch of barrel, when I neither expect to or even want to compete in a State, Regional or National tournament WB tournament. If I ever go, I'll be shooting CAS, not WB. Guaranteed.

RBK

Ok, so how much exactly?

Maybe we can mix in some modern three gun shooters as well, call it tactical cowboy?

Some folks think the cowboy attire is silly, maybe we can have a time traveler cowboy category for folks with all the correct guns, but wanting to dress modern?

And for some the old west guns are so restrictive, some would prefer to use Smith & Wesson double action revolvers, a Marlin camp rifle and a Remington 870, but they are willing to dress old west.

I bet the Zoot Shooters are a lot of fun - we should have them in our posse as well.

Games have rules.

Creeker - ever thought about just shooting this game your way and NOT worrying about what others do? You know, just go out and shoot without the political aspect of the game ruining your day? Why not try turning off the computer for a week, or maybe two.

I recently was handed a leather badge with the letters "IJAFG" on it. I asked "what does this mean?" The guy said "It's Just A Freakin' Game". I kind of forget that sometimes. Thought you might want to think about that as well. We all get pasionate about anything we care about, but sometimes we have to remember what we are really doing and why. Let it go man. Just let it go.

Creeker - ever thought about just shooting this game your way and NOT worrying about what others do? You know, just go out and shoot without the political aspect of the game ruining your day? Why not try turning off the computer for a week, or maybe two.

I recently was handed a leather badge with the letters "IJAFG" on it. I asked "what does this mean?" The guy said "It's Just A Freakin' Game". I kind of forget that sometimes. Thought you might want to think about that as well. We all get pasionate about anything we care about, but sometimes we have to remember what we are really doing and why. Let it go man. Just let it go.

Yup. +1

If you get to shoot your 1911, I want to shoot my AR.

It's not cowboy!!! It was just a bad boring movie!

SACRILEGE!!!

It's NOT JUST a bad boring movie. It IS the greatest movie, not just Western movie, of ALL time and the direct basis for all this fun we are having. grrr.

Peckinpah was an absolute genius. Surely you jest...

I am the current and former Canadian River Regulators Wild Bunch champion. There is only one reason for that. I was the only one showed up with a 1911 last time the 5th Saturday rolled around. Not the first time. Then there was the time Long Hunter and Boggus Deal showed with their 1911s, relegating me to a very distant third.

If the rest of the regulators didn't let me shoot WB with the regular CAS posse I would have to travel a long ways to ever do it. Work and the price of gasoline preclude that. I look forward to 5th Saturdays when I get to mow down that mob and avenge Angel!!! And I sure appreciate being allowed to do so by the club.

And you specifically mention "Monthly" match. Why?

If it is good enough to do at a monthly, isn't it appropriate to do at an annual?

And the converse is true as well - if you wouldn't do it at an annual - why would you allow it at a monthly?

Because that's the line I've drawn in the sand. :)

P.S. Trust me, mine stinks too. Just ask Sour Kraut. :P

Ok, so how much exactly?

Games have rules.

Well, the answer to everything else on the SASS wire seems to be that if you included everyone you mentioned above and got more shooters to your match than a match that followed the traditional SASS guidelines, the concept of including everyone would be the correct one. Every other topics success seems to be measured by the number of shooters that attend the matches. I don't agree with it. If we made enough changes so that there were a million SASS shooters, 900,000 of them having no real interest in what most of us think of as cowboy action shooting, I don't think SASS would be better off. Smokin Gator

+1. +2. +3. One of our local shooters makes up these badges. Please send me your address so I can send you one.

If they want to play with all the equipment, I AM going to equip them to shoot the monthly match.

But if they are CAPABLE of playing with all the equipment, but simply choose not too (no matter what the reason).

I am NOT going to simply create another category to accomodate their shortcoming.

As far as the original post, I joined SASS in 2002. When I joined I only owned one single action pistol. Instead of asking if I could come play with my double action pistols, I bought another single action. When asked by new shooters if they could come shoot their DA pistols in a monthly, I have given the answer, no, but you can borrow one of my SA's.

I agree with Creeker's orginal post, if you can't or won't play by the rules and with the proper equipment, then don't play.

I have two antique Smith and Wesson large frame revolvers. I ran into my New Model #3 last year, and I knew I couldn't walk away from it. I knew if I didn't buy it I would be kicking myself for the rest of my life. I paid more for it than I have for any other gun, but I just had to have it. Of course it is completely SASS legal, so I knew right away I would be shooting it at CAS matches.

New Model #3

Then a few months later I ran across a S&W DA44. Chambered for 44 Russian. Made in 1881, it is absolutely the coolest gun I own.

S&W DA44

Shortly after buying the Double Action I brought it to a local match. A VERY informal match. No categories, no prizes. The only prize they offer is for a clean shoot. I brought my Colts just in case, but I asked the match director if I could shoot my DA. I showed him the gun, he looked at me like I had two heads, then he said, 'of course you can shoot it here'. Needless to say I had a ball with it. Then at the end of the match the Match Director from another club walked up to me and told me I could shoot my DA at his match too if I wanted to. He approached me, I did not approach him. So far there are three clubs within driving distance of me that are only too happy to have me shoot my cool old DA44. I don't shoot my antique Smiths at every match, I don't want to put too much wear on them. But on 'Smith & Wesson day' I bring my two old Smiths and I shoot nothing but Black Powder out of them. Nobody has ever complained. Lots of folks have never even seen a DA44 before and are asking me what the heck it is. I always offer to let folks shoot it. Nobody ever hands it back to me without a big smile on his face. I only shoot it single action at CAS matches, but when I loaned it to another Match Director for a stage, he shot it Double Action.

You simply cannot compare going to the local 'practice range' and shooting at paper targets to the fun and camaraderie to be found at a CAS match. That's why I go to these matches. I would never dream of showing up at a State Championship or above with my DA44, but I know of three local clubs that are only too happy to have me show up and shoot it. Yes, we are all friends and yes that does make a difference. No, I am not in contention for any major awards, that may also have something to do with it.

But you guys who want to keep Cowboy Shooting 'pure', let me know where you shoot and I will be sure not to show up there.

IJAFG! Of course, the way I first heard it, the F did not stand for 'freaking'.

WOW, DJ... those are both too cool fer school. I'd make you shoot in front of me just to watch you load 'em. B)

Lets see I got a M16 if you fellas don't mind. AHH ya, its a Glock, but it holds 10 rds just like your two SA's and I got this cool plastic holster. Naaa its a Benelli purty fast it is. Sorry about the targets the 16 and the glock don't like lead. Gee fellas I forgot about the hat and the boots but I got this neat ball cap and some cool tennies. OH, by the way sign me up for Senior class. Crap its only a monthly after all, what was all that BS about the "cowboy way" anyway.

I have owned 1911s for 55 years. Current favorite is a Kimber 4 inch and I love it! That said, the 1911 isn't a cowboy gun, never was and never will be, so there's no real point in dressing cowboy to shoot one.

recently we had a guy shooting a double action pistol and a Krag (with downloaded rounds) he was practicing for a big match somewhere...he had fun..and so did we..he was of course not shooting for overall at the monthly....hard to outgun the short stroke 73s and he was reloading the revolver on the clock with loose rounds....When we first started shooting Wild Bunch at our club we allowed Luger's broomhandles as well as the 1911. As I recall they had a Dutch and a Pike class...one class allowed double action revolvers...we had a blast and that was what it was all about. It was a lot of fun shooting the old Lugers and cussing at them for being finicky...

Kudos to the match directors and the club officers for wanting to have some fun...Plus it extra money for the club and updates to the range.

At Trailhead in Columbus Texas this year I won the Wild Bunch Category using a 1911, a double action pencil barrelled 38. The class was not eligible for overall (like I was going to win that anyway) but it was a BLAST.

Normally I shoot B-western, Cowboy, or Wrangler.

PS...MY Glock shoots lead bullets just fine.

Ok, so how much exactly?

Games have rules.

No no no to all the modern guns and I am not saying to totaly disregard any of the rules...I like the rules..we need the rules...I started this game because I LIKE THE RULES..

oh lord...I hate to even suggest it...may all forgive me...but another class for strictly the new shooter with SASS rules...

The way I see it not everyone is as fortunate as me ... I am at the point in life to were I could buy all the stuff I needed and more to play this game in a relatively short manner...

When I first looked in to this game I already had a 3 of the guns I needed..., boots and 1/2 dozen cowboy hats.if there had been a novices I would have been good to go...in my first year I have been able to up grade everything plus some and there was never any doubt in my mind from the first time I seen CAS that I wanted to play this game...Play by the rules as written

There are many who who just can't come up with everything at once so they lose interest...granted at most matches I have been to there is enough extra gear around to outfit at least 5 extra shooters with cowboys & girls willing to lone...heck I bring 2 of everything to any match I go to ...

Think of a novices class for say a boy or girl just out of the service or someone who is on a fixed income looking for something to do who is short on cash who would love to get involved but but there pride just won't let them barrow something they can't afford to pay for if they break it...Funny how Cowboys tend to think this way

As for WB...WB is part of SASS and is here to stay and is getting bigger everyday ... WB is not just a side match anymore...like I said a proper WB match IS NOT CAS with 1911's....are there similarities YES.

Now here again I am blessed I can shoot 8 or 10 monthly CAS and two practice matches and 2 WB matches a month all with in a hours drive that makes me one lucky cowboy....so I do not see a need or want to see WB shooters mixed CAS shooters at most of the monthlies I go to nor would I like to see CAS & WB shooters mixed at annuals ...BUT for those small clubs and areas that do not have the many opportunities some of us others have why not have a WB posse or mixing WB using WB rules at there monthlies?

I have found that clubs that run WB at matches are "Short Changeing" the Cowboy side matches ....

Skipping Cowboy Trap,Cowboy Longrange and the like don't make me a happy camper !!!!

I used to see more Pocket Pistol matches before WB as well ...

Sadley I feel WB is taking away time that used to be spent shooting Cowboy guns ,,,, and degrading the old-timey Cowboy Feeling and easy going nature at matches ...

Keep WB seperate from Cowboy Shooting !!!

Jabez Cowboy

I don't know, Creeker. I don't think I would draw that line in the sand at the same place in every case. There are too many variables, and they are all sandwiched in between "we have rules" and "let's get people shooting." I can't make it as black and white as you would like.

Hey , Driftwood , could you please come on down to West Texas and bring those Smith & Wessons to our monthly match this Saturday. Pretty Please.

Impressed , me , Rex :D

P.S. I agree with Creeker and others who say enough is enough , already. Play by the rules we have.

Archived