SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse... Please saddle up...

My mom is in the early late stages of Alzheimers... I just got a text from my sister that my mom had a stroke this morning and is in the ER awaiting a CAT scan... Any prayers that all y'all could put up for her and my dad would be comfort right now... Many, MANY thanks in advance...

Vaya con Dios

###UPDATE### 08AUG

Mom is out of the ER and had the CAT scan... They want to downgrade the stroke to a TIA (some form of blood clot)... She is home, but still fairly limp on the left side and she has forgotten a couple of times where she is who somebody is... This equally hard for the doctors as she is in the early part of late-stage Alzheimers as well...

Thank you for the prayers and good thoughts... I read some of these to her last night and she tearfully thanked you all... More as I know...

Flint

Prayers up from Texas for your mom and the whole family.

Flint, so sory to hear that.

I'll talk with my Lord tonight about them.

Flint -

As you know, I just went thru the exact same thing with my Mom, before she passed last month. Prayers up for your Mom, Dad and, of course, yourself and Miss Maggie.

If I can do any thing for you or if you just want to talk, give me a call. I love ya, Brother.

Add my prayers to that list.

Very sorry to hear this. I'll keep her in my thoughts.

Didn't see the update. Sorry.

My wife had a TIA some years ago. Scared the bejeebers out of me.

Does some strange things to the mind. Recovery is not an easy thing and there is a chance of a reoccurance, sorry to say. Will keep some dialogue with the Trail Boss on her behalf.

Yep, a TIA will sure get people's attention, and it should be a warning sign. Almost 40 percent of people who have experienced a TIA will go on to have an actual stroke. Within 2 days after a TIA, 5 percent of people will have a stroke, and 10 to 15 percent of people will have a stroke within three months of a TIA. Of course the goal is to find the etiology of the TIA if possible, and to initiate appropriate care. I hope the docs are doing this.

Just saw this, and you KNOW I'm praying for your mom, you, your dad and family.

Gods blessings and comfort amigo.

Long Jim and ANTETY

Flint,

Just got on and saw this. Prayers are up for Mom and Dad and for you. I know you need prayers in a time like these. If there is anything I can do please call.

Your Pard,

CC

My mom is in the early late stages of Alzheimers... I just got a text from my sister that my mom had a stroke this morning and is in the ER awaiting a CAT scan... Any prayers that all y'all could put up for her and my dad would be comfort right now... Many, MANY thanks in advance...

Vaya con Dios

###UPDATE### 08AUG

Mom is out of the ER and had the CAT scan... They want to downgrade the stroke to a TIA (some form of blood clot)... She is home, but still fairly limp on the left side and she has forgotten a couple of times where she is who somebody is... This equally hard for the doctors as she is in the early part of late-stage Alzheimers as well...

Thank you for the prayers and good thoughts... I read some of these to her last night and she tearfully thanked you all... More as I know...

Flint

Yes, of course. You have my prayers. I pray every day.

Also, Painless has Parkinson's, which carries its own dementia as well.

A note that could help:

There are many different kinds of dimentia that are often mis-diagnosed (hence wrong meds, or not given right). I mention it because it's important to take her to a very good neurologist, or two, to get her on the right kinds of meds (they're not the same for all types), AND AND AND, after she's gotten the right prescription, it's important to try to make sure the meds are given right.

What happens often is the meds are not given right. Some kinds are not to be given near foods, as the proteins combine with the meds and won't let them work right.... Some have to be given at the same time as other meds, as they work together.... Sometimes one nurse will get it right, but another won't. Some SNF may get it right, but a hospital may get it wrong, or vice versa.......all off the same prescriptions. Medication errors. They're busy; they often don't understand or don't have time...

Like landing a taildragger, it's not hard once you know how. It just takes vigilance to do it right, and the reward is a happier, healthier loved-one. :)

Getting the right ones and giving them right can help a lot. :)

Thank you to all... I just got off the phone with my folks... My mom had another small episode, but it appears to be getting better...

Okie, as always, amigo... your input is always appreciated...

Aunt Jen... thank you for the input... I always like to hear experience from someone who has fought in the same trenches... Muchas gracias...

Vaya con Dios

Vaya con Dios

###UPDATE### 08AUG

Flint

I am sorry .. so sorry... I will keep her and you and your family in my prayers..

Good news pard (relatively speaking) Keeping the prayers coming. Dementia is a terrible thing. My only surviving aunt is 94 and I don't think she even knows me anymore. Her body is still alive but Vivian pretty much left us several years ago. :unsure: Hope your mom does better. They don't call Vivian's Alzheimers, but "organic brain syndrome" whatever the heck that is. Seems like the same difference to me.

JHC

My grandmother had a TIA when she was in her early 70's. She fully recovered within a few weeks and never had a repeat incident or problem. She passed at the age of 97. My other grandmother suffered from dementia and it took hours for her to understand that her son had died at my father's funeral. She would point to me and say, "but he is right there!" It is a challenging condition to be around without becoming very frustrated at times.

Still saying prayers and hoping for your family's health and comfort, you big ole skylark.

Archived