SASS Wire Forum

So here I was......minding my own business.........

Bulls Head Bill SASS#33692

So here I was......minding my own business...............changing the front sight on my Uberti 1873 rifle.

Got a "Grabber" Front sight in my hand. (Thanks Manatee! A nice product!!)

The stock Uberti front sight has a small set screw in it.....I loosened it.....the front sight was still stuck.

So...........I planted my thumb against it..........gave it a push..........and ZIP......it slid out of the dovetail and landed 6 feet away on the carpet.

OK.......now to begin fitting the "Grabber" front sight.

Now where's that new front sight?

What?........wait a minute........what's that on my hand?........it's RED and slippery!

Where's it coming from?...... :blink: .........WHAT THE HE@*!! :huh:

IT'S BLOOD!!!! :unsure:

WHERE'S THE BLOOD FROM?!?! :blink:

Nothing hurts! :ph34r:

It's........running.........down........MY THUMB!!! :(

AND IT'S RUNNING FAST!!!! :angry:

OH FOR GOSH SAKES!!!!

:wacko:

Moral of the Story?........ :blush:.........LEARN from my mistake.......those Uberti dovetails are SHARP!!!

Where's the bandaids?

Medicine!.......I need medicine!!!.........TWO MEDICINES!.........GIN.........and Tonic water!!!!!

There!.......I feel much better now!!!! :P

So here I was......minding my own business...............changing the front sight on my Uberti 1873 rifle.

Got a "Grabber" Front sight in my hand. (Thanks Manatee! A nice product!!)

The stock Uberti front sight has a small set screw in it.....I loosened it.....the front sight was still stuck.

So...........I planted my thumb against it..........gave it a push..........and ZIP......it slid out of the dovetail and landed 6 feet away on the carpet.

OK.......now to begin fitting the "Grabber" front sight.

Now where's that new front sight?

What?........wait a minute........what's that on my hand?........it's RED and slippery!

Where's it coming from?...... :blink: .........WHAT THE HE@*!! :huh:

IT'S BLOOD!!!! :unsure:

WHERE'S THE BLOOD FROM?!?! :blink:

Nothing hurts! :ph34r:

It's........running.........down........MY THUMB!!! :(

AND IT'S RUNNING FAST!!!! :angry:

OH FOR GOSH SAKES!!!!

:wacko:

Moral of the Story?........ :blush:.........LEARN from my mistake.......those Uberti dovetails are SHARP!!!

Where's the bandaids?

Medicine!.......I need medicine!!!.........TWO MEDICINES!.........GIN.........and Tonic water!!!!!

There!.......I feel much better now!!!! :P

First sentence FALSE the rest I can relate to Too.

SEE Ya

CCBA

Guest diablo slim shootist

If you run out of razor blades you have just the thing ;)

I do somthing like that once a week at work(tool maker)

Don't matter much if I slice a thumb, I've got 9 others...

:D

I knew it! You ARE my long lost evil twin step-brother!

I'm thinkin' maybe we're triplets! :lol:

Don't matter much if I slice a thumb, I've got 9 others...

:D

+1

I bought a new '73 at the end of the first day of Givhan's Ferry SE match. After running 15-20 rounds through the gun to make sure that I could shoot it the next day I was bleeding like being at a razor blade factory during a tornado. Sharp edges on the carrier bottom, the front sight and where the octagonal barrel was turned to a half-oct were the culprits.

I shot the next day with the plastic skin-stuff on both hands. I couldn't feel any of those misses. Now I keep bandaids in my cart.

If ya think the sight dove tail is sharp, be very careful if ya have to drop the trigger assembly. The recevier at that point is as sharp as a razor. I found out the hard way.

A brass drift punch and a small tapper hammer woulda saved you a lot of blood and cusswords.

I bought a new '73 at the end of the first day of Givhan's Ferry SE match. After running 15-20 rounds through the gun to make sure that I could shoot it the next day I was bleeding like being at a razor blade factory during a tornado. Sharp edges on the carrier bottom, the front sight and where the octagonal barrel was turned to a half-oct were the culprits.

I shot the next day with the plastic skin-stuff on both hands. I couldn't feel any of those misses. Now I keep bandaids in my cart.

I didn't get a chance to fix the loading issue prior to using my '73 for the first match. I had to straighten the last round loaded with my finger to prevent a jam. My index and middle fingers were a bloody mess by the end of the match. I have since fixed the issue and also use a loading stick (a 6" piece of wooden dowel) to push the last round in.

I thought that I was the olny critter that did stuff like that...

Dang Bill, I knew ya held your guns kinda funny, but I never noticed ya used your thumb to pull the trigger.. :blink:

JUST KIDDIN' of course! :lol: Hope ya heal up quick so's ya can get back to shootin..

A buddy at deer camp was showin' me his new obsidian grips (yup, ya heard that right-obsidian!) on his 1911..And while I was admiring the darn thing I somehow split my finger wide open on the dang grips..We looked and looked for the burr or whatever it was that did it, but neither one of us could figger out how the heck it happened! :huh:

Hope everybody at Gunpowder Creek is doin' well..I miss Y'all! Tell the gang I said howdy!

Any of Y'all comin' out here to EOT this year? It would sure be grand to see some of my old Pards and Pardettes there! :D

Archived